Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What size should I get?

Options
About to get my first egg shortly. Debating between a large or XL . I cook mainly for myself 90% of the time.. Steak, hamburgers, chicken breasts etc... But when I cook for others I do it big.. 2-3 slabs of ribs , Boston butts etc.. Several bags of wings

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My first was the XL. I, too, debated on size initially, and have not been sorry since. My second was the MM. Perfect for taking on the road camping and tailgating.
    Either way, the cost of the BGE is the least expensive aspect of owning an egg. You will not regret it, and you will have so much fun and delicious food.
    Welcome to the forum. You will get tons of help from some of the most knowledgeable people on all things remotely associated with the BGE. Cool folks, for sure.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I'd say large because of the 90% statement. If you look at an AR from ceramic grill store you'll see you can get multi level easily and do that qty of ribs no problem. Several BAGS of wings simul may not be possible.  Meh, the gang will talk you into an XL regardless... Lol
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Largest you can afford
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • egghead43
    Options
    FWIW, I cooked 2 8 pound Boston Butts for Christmas and it was hard fitting them on the large.  It worked, but if you're looking to do more than that, it's going to be tough.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    :o It don't matter what size because one BGE is just not enough! The XL is a lot of cooking space for a couple of burgers, you can get some kind of a reducer ring  that fits the XL so small cooks won't use as much lump. Every year at the Georgia Mountain Egg Fest we do 6 butts on large Eggs with an Adjustable rig/spider/pizza stone with no problems at all. I would like to have an XL but currently have two Larges so when I need to cook for a bunch of folks I just use the two of them. If I ever find a good buy on a used XL I will get one just so I can say I have an XL!!! I have an Egger friend in Ohio that got an XL for his first Egg and a year later he got a Large. Good luck and just go get an Egg.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I routinely do two 10-lb butts on my large with ease.  I would go large and add a second raised grate when I you have to cook for a crowd. See my cheap homemade grate pic.  The money you save with a large vs. XL can be put towards gadgets and toys.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    Get the XL, the extra room is worth it when you need it. If you only want to grill a couple of burgers or a steak, use the Alton Brown method and put a small grid atop your charcoal chimney and grill away. I usually just set it on the charcoal grate inside the XL. Works wonderfully and uses way less charcoal. 
    BTW, I have an XL and a Medium and still use the chimney for small cooks for myself.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    for your needs a combo large and mini. i dont know how many wings i could cook in a large but i can cook about 30 in the mini =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Get a large.  Then buy an Acorn or cheap imitation on craigslist as a backup for when u need to cook large amounts for company. 
  • oldmandawg
    Options
    I went with a large because it is just me and the wife. But there have been daze I wish I had an XL. It sounds like I need an AR. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Get a large.  Then buy an Acorn or cheap imitation on craigslist as a backup for when u need to cook large amounts for company. 

Get a large first, then buy another large later on. All your gear will fit both!!!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Bobh83
    Bobh83 Posts: 25
    Options
    XL and don't look back. I debated too, mostly just my wife and I but when I want the space I have it. Cook for up to 20 a few times a year. I don't worry about a little extra lump burned for just a couple steak. Egg is so efficient still uses way less than he Webber did. Love my XL and know I would want to upgrade if I had a large. I'm not against getting a small or mini down the road but not planning on it now.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    i have an XL and a medium at my home.  They did not have the MINI MAX at the time I bought the medium otherwise I would bought that.  If I could only have one it would be an XL.  Very versatile.   
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • jimithing
    Options
    IMO If you can afford the XL then get the XL.  It's nice having that real estate and flexibility.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Join the XL club. I don't regret it.
    Everyone is going to justify the size they bought. Get what you can afford. Trust me, you will get eggdicted and spend money with either purchase. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Hotch said:
    odie91 said:

Get a large first, then buy another large later on. All your gear will fit both!!!!
    Heh I won't argue that. But I think from now on when someone asks this question they need to disclose their annual income.    ;)
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Saw this on a flashlight forum ... thought it might apply here:

" ....but who wants enough light egg, when you have the option for far too much "

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    The medium is a great starter egg. You can decide from there how small and how large you want to go with numbers 2 and 3.......or not.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    large with an adjustable rig
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Saw this on a flashlight forum ... 

Flashlight forum? Wow. Something for everybody out there. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    To loosely paraphrase the words of @sgh always carry a big hammer. I love my xL and haven't ever wished I had purchased a smaller size. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Your criteria screams Large egg. For those pushing the XL in this case, I wonder why? Just not needed in your described situation, at all. If you have to have the biggest, everyone should run out and put their order in for the XXL. 
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    I tend to attempt to future proof- I don't always need the square inches of the XL for our normal meals but when we have people over, etc it is nice to have. i can't speak for OP but if you need it 4-5 times a year to me it would be worth it.  Or get a smaller size and add another for those time it's needed.  

Plus he mentioned ribs- XL makes it much easier to cook multiple racks.  I have done 6-7 on a large but it was a very, very tight fit.
    Greensboro, NC
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    I tend to attempt to future proof- I don't always need the square inches of the XL for our normal meals but when we have people over, etc it is nice to have. i can't speak for OP but if you need it 4-5 times a year to me it would be worth it.  Or get a smaller size and add another for those time it's needed.  

Plus he mentioned ribs- XL makes it much easier to cook multiple racks.  I have done 6-7 on a large but it was a very, very tight fit.
    He said 2-3 slabs of ribs in his criteria (going big). I think he can make it work on a large, agreed. 
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    Not disagreeing- it may be overkill for him, but tends to be the way my brain works... Or maybe doesn't work:)

Greensboro, NC
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Not disagreeing- it may be overkill for him, but tends to be the way my brain works... Or maybe doesn't work:)

I get it. The XL is a great rig for those who want it or need it. He could have a lot of extra $ in his case with the L and buy a bunch of goodies and of course coal and meat. 
     Hey, whatever, I'm just bustin balls. Just ignore me, I'm bored. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    If you plan on doing a lot of indirect cooking, then your effective cooking area is the size of the plate setter. For this reason, get the XL. Here's a packer on the XL

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I bought the xl and have never regretted it. I fired it up tonight for 4 chicken breasts. Piled my leftover lump on one side and lit and cooked as normal. You won't be disappointed with the xl.