Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chick-fil-a discontinuing coleslaw.......if that don't beat all....It just ain't right!

Options

Comments

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Chick fil a is to chicken as the mcrib is to ribs.

That's quite a stretch, don't you think?

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Chick FIL a chicken is ground, processed and formed into the shape of a chicken?
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    They don't claim to have invented the chicken....just the sandwich. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the product (happen to like it myself), they are a great company in the hospitality industry in my opinion. We all have them.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    gamason said:

That's quite a stretch, don't you think?
    Perhaps.  The McRib isn't breaded, so the comparison is a bit off.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    I work with a very high ranking Chick Fil A exec. on a volunteer basis. Chick Fil A chicken is of the highest quality available. They've been using many of the same suppliers for decades and most of it comes from small family farms. Their dedication to their employees is second to none with a turnover rate of less than 4% if my memory serves. You may not like there food or the politics of one of their execs, and that's okay, but they are a great company who care about their people, their families, and their customers. I've never been treated with anything but respect and received great service at every CFA restaurant I've visited. I can't say that for any other chain at all, or even the independent restaurants I like.
    Wait a minute.  They serve 50 bajillion pounds of chicken a year and 26 bajillion pounds comes from 'small family farms'?

something about that doesn't sound quite correct.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    I work with a very high ranking Chick Fil A exec. on a volunteer basis. Chick Fil A chicken is of the highest quality available. They've been using many of the same suppliers for decades and most of it comes from small family farms. Their dedication to their employees is second to none with a turnover rate of less than 4% if my memory serves. You may not like there food or the politics of one of their execs, and that's okay, but they are a great company who care about their people, their families, and their customers. I've never been treated with anything but respect and received great service at every CFA restaurant I've visited. I can't say that for any other chain at all, or even the independent restaurants I like.
    Well stated.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yeah, but it's fast food.  Let's not start sucking each others d!cks over a fast food company because you love Jesus, gentlemen. I joined this forum because I hate corporate, factory food.
    ksmyrl said:
    I'm all for companies treating their employees right.   They're better than average in some respects based on what you said.  Working with high ranking executives is usually not so terrible via-a-vi your experience.

http://www.chickfilacruelty.com/

I'm not going to worship them.  They're just a fast food company that makes money like all the others out there.  In fact, I will hate them.  As I do all fast food companies, and as any true food lover would.
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    Wait a minute.  They serve 50 bajillion pounds of chicken a year and 26 bajillion pounds comes from 'small family farms'?

something about that doesn't sound quite correct.
    Many of the small family farms are now much larger just because of Chick Fil A. Family owned farms that are still family owned have been extremely successful due to their Chick Fil A relationship. And yes, many small farms work with the larger suppliers that chick fil a works with. Maybe instead of small I should have said family "owned". Cause small is relative.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • dogfoot
    Options
    If you don't like it don't eat there, why the debate
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2015
    Options
    He just mad cuz he is half chicken. 

You can't tell me there is not a resemblance. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    So their workers are also subsidized by the US government (us) because their wages are crap.  But man, last bite I had was semi feather free.  And only a slight diesel/vomit taste.  HUZZAH!!!!
    Options
     They're just a fast food company that makes money like all the others out there.
    Except they do it in 6 days instead of 7.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    edited December 2015
    Options
    remove duplicate. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    dogfoot said:
    Because it has nothing to do with eating good food and I presume this forum has that goal.  Plus I am a troll. 
    Options
    DO THEY SELL NUGGETS!!!???  I FKN LOOVVEE NUGGETS!!!!!  DROOL DROOL!!!!
    Options
    dogfoot said:
    Plus I am a troll. 
    There you have it. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited December 2015
    Options
    dogfoot said:
    Because it has nothing to do with eating good food and I presume this forum has that goal.  Plus I am a troll. 
    That may be the funniest thing I've  read this week!
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i don't have a dog (or opinion) in the fight re chick-fil-a and their cole slaw, but i have to wonder:

is "family owned" inherently better than not?

it implies "small", but as we just learned, that's not really always the case.  walmart is family owned after all.

so. for my own education, why should i ascribe a positive for a company being "family owned"?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• nolaegghead
    Options
    So is Koch Industries. 
    Options
    Walmart is not family owned. It's shareholder owned. CFA is a privately held family owned company. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    that's my point.

it means nothing. good or bad.

like "organic", the phrase is absolutely, unequivocally meaningless.
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    i don't have a dog (or opinion) in the fight re chick-fil-a and their cole slaw, but i have to wonder:

is "family owned" inherently better than not?

it implies "small", but as we just learned, that's not really always the case.  walmart is family owned after all.

so. for my own education, why should i ascribe a positive for a company being "family owned"?
    "Family owned" is just a dog whistle kinda thing. Any operation able to provide the quantity of product that a chain like CfilA does is hardly a "small farm".

Even though Walmart is still sorta "family owned" but that probably doesn't send out too much of a warm and fuzzy vibe for most people. 

Contrast Costco which is not family owned but they are well known for paying/treating their employees well and are regarded as one of the best companies in the US to work for. I'm a decades long loyal Costco member largely for that reason. 

I might eat a CfilA sandwich once every year or two so they are not really on my "list of things to be concerned about" so whether they continue selling their slaw or not is of no importance to me. Actually, I'm not even sure I have ever tasted their slaw.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Walmart is still a family owned business.
    Options
    PS - I like inorganic salt.
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @doublegger

if Walmart is not family owned, does that mean that it is not as 'good' as a family owned company?

just wondering if anyone can actually provide the logic behind assuming that "family owned" (as in the case of the chicken farms mentioned here) is better than their not being family owned

whether walmart (or chick-fil-a, or a supplying chicken famr) is or isn't family owned isn't the question.  it's whether it would be better if it were family owned than not.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    @doublegger

if Walmart is not family owned, does that mean that it is not as 'good' as a family owned company?

just wondering if anyone can actually provide the logic behind assuming that "family owned" (as in the case of the chicken farms mentioned here) is better than their not being family owned

whether walmart is or isn't family owned isn't the question.  it's whether it would be better if it were family owned than not.

I didn't say that one was better than the other. I simply pointed out your mistake as you happily do with everyone else on this forum. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    w...w..wait a minute.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_business

Walmart is the world's largest company by revenue, according to the Fortune Global 500 list in 2014, as well as the biggest private employer in the world with 2.2 million employees.[who?] Walmart is a family-owned business, as the company is controlled by the Walton family. Sam Walton's heirs own over 50 percent of Walmart through their holding company, Walton Enterprises, and through their individual holdings.[9] It is also one of the world's most valuable companies by market value,[10] and is also the largest grocery retailer in the U.S. In 2009, it generated 51 percent of its US$258 billion (equivalent to $285 billion in 2015) sales in the U.S. from its grocery business.[11]

Options
    I prefer Zaxbys, thanks. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Just to bring this back around...I think there will still be slaw y'all. 

http://www.snopes.com/chick-fil-cole-slaw-january-18/