Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Cookbook

Options
Any recommendations for good cook books? 

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2015
    Options
    That's WAY to broad.  So many options it's like information overload.
    What do YOU want to learn?  BBQ? I would grab Aaron Franklin's Manifesto and/or Smoking Meat by Jeff Phillips or Weber Smoke is also a good choice.  All around cook book, the Junior League Centennial cookbook is great.  For baking the New Artisan Bread in 5 min a day is a great starting point. If you want to really get off on smoked meat then grab Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman.  

Like I said lots of options.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Or save your money and just look for recipes here and online.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    ...and remember: the BGE is basically used liked an oven or a grill.  so any recipe you are interested in that is oven or grill based will pretty much work on the BGE
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Peytonwat
    Options
    The Silver Spoon. It's essentially the bible of Italian cooking, has been in print in Italy since the 1950's and has just recently been converted into English, U.S.  measurments, order of operations and temperatures. Many of the recipes have limited ingredients and there are over 1000 of them. It's beautifully bound, has great photos and it's available at Costco. I think it's around $35.00. It can be daunting but just dive in and pick something. Also, for just pure brilliance, The French Laundry Cookbook and Ad Hoc by Thomas Keller. Oh, I would also suggest any one of Ina Garten's cook books. 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Mustard's cookbook has many great items in it.  Also consider a subscription to America's test kitchen.  Ive gotten so many great ideas and techniques from ATK that i apply to BGE cooking that it has been incredible.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SurreyEgg said:
    As some above have already said, it depends on what you are interested in cooking or making. With that in mind, here is one that I really like. It's 2000+ pages of no nonsense, old school info. A lot of great across the board info in it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We're giving out 4 of these for the holiday

edited December 2015
    Options
    I own the BGE cookbook but honestly don't use it. My wife is trying to lose 20 pounds so what we cook is pretty much the same every week steak, chicken breasts, fish, and chicken wings rubbed. When she was on a diet I'd simply us a Google.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The BGE cookbook, which we have, is terrible.
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Adam Perry Lang's Serious Barbecue is my go to cookbook.  All of the recipes are pretty involved, making the rubs, sauces, marinades, etc. from scratch.  I have learned a lot from his recipes and have loved all of the results.  If you want something less involved, he has a smaller, simpler version called "BBQ 25".  Love them both!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

Weber's Way to Grill is a good basic grilling book.  Good recipes, but written for gasser/charcoal grills.  You'll have to adapt to the egg.

As an alternative to the BGE cookbook, try "Smoke it Like a Pro on the Big Green Egg."  It's a good cookbook that covers a lot of basics.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Little Steven
    Options
    The New Professional Chef from the CIA (Culinary Institute of America)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Adam Perry Lang's Serious Barbecue is my go to cookbook.  All of the recipes are pretty involved, making the rubs, sauces, marinades, etc. from scratch.  I have learned a lot from his recipes and have loved all of the results.  If you want something less involved, he has a smaller, simpler version called "BBQ 25".  Love them both!

@smbishop  I read that book, after seeing some of  @nphuskerFL 's posts.  I imagine you guys thinking about what to make for dinner: "Should I make a brine? a rub? a mop? a marinade? AND a board sauce?  YES, ALL AT ONCE!"
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Mosca said:
    I bought this in ebook for like $2. It has some good stuff in it. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    SurreyEgg said:
    You've just jumped into the deep end of a huge ocean.

For many years, the 1975 edition of the "Joy of Cooking" was my go to.

Now, I have saved about 3000 recipes found on line. And many facsimiles of old historic cook books, such as Apicius & Escoffier.  All worth while.

I have several by Jacques Pepin, and have considered getting "Essential Pepin," which has 700 recipes. All of his work is absolutely solid classic French. I'm only hesitant because I have no more shelf space.

If you want to understand cooking, get Harold McGee's "On Food and Cooking." It not like a recipe book, take these ingredients, put them together this way. It here is why various foods are cooked the way they are. What makes them flavorful and palatable.  Knowing such things allows one to evaluate recipes, and figure out what is going on as the dish is made.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    gdenby said:
    SurreyEgg said:
    You've just jumped into the deep end of a huge ocean.

For many years, the 1975 edition of the "Joy of Cooking" was my go to.

Now, I have saved about 3000 recipes found on line. And many facsimiles of old historic cook books, such as Apicius & Escoffier.  All worth while.

I have several by Jacques Pepin, and have considered getting "Essential Pepin," which has 700 recipes. All of his work is absolutely solid classic French. I'm only hesitant because I have no more shelf space.

If you want to understand cooking, get Harold McGee's "On Food and Cooking." It not like a recipe book, take these ingredients, put them together this way. It here is why various foods are cooked the way they are. What makes them flavorful and palatable.  Knowing such things allows one to evaluate recipes, and figure out what is going on as the dish is made.
    I was just going through my cookbooks, thinking about how I never use them any more. the only older ones I've kept are the 1994 Joy of Cooking, The Meat and Potatoes Cookbook, How To Succeed With Chicken Without Really Frying, and Recipes for a Small Planet, from when I was a hippie in the '70s.

I recently got The Southern Living Cookbook, not that good; Weber's The New Grilling Cookbook, which is okay; and my sister sent me Kenji's The Food Lab, which I love.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    SGH said:
    SurreyEgg said:
    As some above have already said, it depends on what you are interested in cooking or making. With that in mind, here is one that I really like. It's 2000+ pages of no nonsense, old school info. A lot of great across the board info in it. 

I've got a couple of their recipes. I recall that some time ago they translated an official Polish gov't manual defining what and how different sausages were made.

If you are ever in Chi, visit one of Gene's sausage and deli shops. A few years ago his sausage makers, all first named Stanley, had about 120 years of experience between them. The kiska is perfect.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    The Atlanta crowd can attest to this. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    smbishop said:
    "Charred and Scruffed" is very good, too.
    NOLA