Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet tea?

Options
2»

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Options
    I hooked up the bourbon IV as soon as I got home from work.  What a long week.
    Nola - was thinking that another use for your sous vide, you can warm the bourbon to precisely body temp and simply plug in the IV to your stent when you walk in the door. 

SWMBO advises that iced tea in the US to be generally awful. Here in Canuckistan we even have sweet iced tea sold in the soda aisle, or CountryTime mix - which is quite different than that offered in the States. 

Maybe there is another export opportunity, other than BC bud..
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Years ago, my wife was an airline stewardess.  She had a Brit on board that asked for tea.  She asked "hot or iced?".  He looked at her in amazement and horror.  He had never heard of iced tea and the thought repulsed him.  I wonder if they have become civilized since then.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Years ago, my wife was an airline stewardess.  She had a Brit on board that asked for tea.  She asked "hot or iced?".  He looked at her in amazement and horror.  He had never heard of iced tea and the thought repulsed him.  I wonder if they have become civilized since then.
    No - The only civilized Brits left, founded both of our countries. (he says, tongue in cheek)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    I grew up in Georgia, I didn't know there was any kind of tea other than sweet. My mom put a big pot on the stove with about a gallon of water, threw in about 5 Lipton tea bags and 2 cups of sugar. I do the same thing but now I cut the sugar down to 1 cup. I drink alot more water than tea these days
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Refined white sugar, and sweet tea, are Evil and are why the South lost the Civil War.  

Obligatory Nurse Joke (my ex-GF was one also):
    You can easily tell who the Head Nurse is by the dirty knees... 
    [-X

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• wftyler
    Options
    For one gallon of sweetened ice tea, I use Luzianne tea bags - 4 Family sized bags for a gallon.  I put the bags in a 2 quart sauce pan, full of spring (or clean drinking) water.  Then heat gently to a low-rolling boil.  I lower the temperature until the tea simmers, and the bags are just rolling on the top.

I make SURE the tea is nice and very dark brown.  For sweetness, I use ONLY turbinado sugar - makes a heck of a difference in great tasting tea.  While the tea mixture is hot, I generally dump about 1 1/4 pounds of turbinado sugar into a tea pitcher, followed by the hot tea mixture.  Stir until all sugar is dissolved.

At this point, you only have a half gallon of hot tea.  To make up the other half, I immediately pour another half gallon of spring water back into the saucepan with the still-hot tea bags.  Using a spoon I then manage to compress the bags and squeeze out a bit more flavor into the water, then pour mixture into the tea pitcher.

Stir gently and you now have a gallon of outstanding true Southern-style sweetened tea.  Enjoy! 
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    jjmills said:
    All right people,  I need some help!  I travel to the south now and then for work.  While I'm there I tend to drink sweet tea like nobody's business.  The problem is when I'm home I seem to go through sweet tea withdrawals.  I can't seem to find a good and easy recipe that mimics the tea from the south.  If anyone could help me out with their secret weapon recipe I would be very grateful.  Thanks in advance

Judd
    Here's the best from the south. get you a gallon of water. we use bottle water because we have horrible tap water here in Mississippi. if you use tap fill up a gallon jug...pour about a 1/4 of it into a pot use either 1 bag of community or lipton family size. bring it to a boil let it go for about 5 minutes cut it off and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. take you a gallon pitcher put 1 1/2 cups of sugar in it and pour the hot tea in the jug. take the remainder of the gallon water and add to pitcher...stir well and you have southern sweet tea. enjoy! also, it will be much better the day after you make it. if you drink it right after its made it will be good but not as good as it will get the longer it's in the frig. :)
    Brandon, MS
  • llrickman
    Options
    I must be in the minority here, I LOVE tea but cant stomache sweet tea. Love it unsweet The only way to go. This is a plus being diabetic
    :))
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You just gotta make sure to add sugar wile it is still hot so it dissolves..that's about it!   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• rossv1
    rossv1 Posts: 114
    Options
    Also try mixing some lemonade, my grandparents used to mix some  after they finished brewing the sweet tea and it was delicious. 
    22 in Macon, GA - Large BGE 2015
  • NewNashEgg
    Options
    I make sweet tea at least once a week.  It's in the fridge everyday at my house.  It's easy.  Use a tea kettle to boil water and pour it over 4 family size Luzzianne tea bags that are in a 1 gallon pitcher.  I let this sit for an hour then pull the tea bags and toss them.  Stir in 1 1/2 c. sugar (heaping cups if you like it real sweet) and stir till dissolved.  Top the pitcher with cold water and put it in the fridge.  1 G of normal sweet tea. 

• TrailRunner
    Options

My mom boils water and adds in about 8 tea bags, let this sit for about an hour with heat off.

Remove tea bags and pout this liquid into a gallon container.

Add sugar and hot tap water to fill.

I think she uses 2.5 cups of sugar per gallon.

Same here and do 1.75 cups or a dash more of sugar. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I buy louisane. In a red box. Boil small pot of water with 3 bags. Put two or 3 cups of sugar in your pitcher. After the tea boils for a few minutes, pour it directly I tot he pitcher. And use the pot you boiled it in to keep adding more water (it makes it more concentrated)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2015
    Options

My mom boils water and adds in about 8 tea bags, let this sit for about an hour with heat off.

Remove tea bags and pout this liquid into a gallon container.

Add sugar and hot tap water to fill.

I think she uses 2.5 cups of sugar per gallon.

What this guy said. The 1 hour rest allows the flavor of the tea to concentrate. You can also leave the concentrate(after adding sugar) at room temp covered for a week and add a little extra water plus ice to cool it and dilute into the perfect glass.This stuff is the rocket fuel I grew up on in Charleston, SC. Boil about 8 cups of water with the tea bags, that is what I do. Otherwise, you can also boil the whole amount with the tea bags and add the sugar to the pot after the steep. Stir to dissolve and refrigerate. I actually use 12 bags of Red Rose Tea for mine.
    I agree with both of these. One word of caution however. I think the tea bags referenced are individual tea bags. Note you can buy bigger size bags, in which case you reduce the number of bags. Look on the Lipton / Tetley / luzian box carefully for size. Now I hope I haven't opened up a debate on which tea is best.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • MelSharples
    Options
    Much like how to cook a brisket or what kind of lump to use there seems to be 1000 different ways to make sweet tea, and each way would be hotly contested. I will say that the sugar to tea ratio should be such that your spoon will stand up in the glass by itself. And please, for the love of Preston Brooks, don't use a pre-mixed tea!
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Much like how to cook a brisket or what kind of lump to use there seems to be 1000 different ways to make sweet tea, and each way would be hotly contested. I will say that the sugar to tea ratio should be such that your spoon will stand up in the glass by itself. And please, for the love of Preston Brooks, don't use a pre-mixed tea!

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow