Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any harm in not using Fire ring?

Options
if I want to cook my steaks extremely hot and fast... Can I just take out the fire ring so the grate will sit lower?

i am speaking specifically about my mini... But curious about the generality of removing the fire ring 

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Won't hurt a thing.  I do this when cookin a larger ham or turkey in my small all the time 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Won't hurt a thing.  I do this when cookin a larger ham or turkey in my small all the time 
    Thanks!
  • clifkincaid
    Options
    Geniuses! The simple things we don't think about. =)
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Even geniuser: just fill the egg closer to the top

also, grilling with the dome open and the lower vent shut will cause a bed of coals to form across the top (instead of the fire diving downward)

it also means the top of the steak won't cook (no radiant heat from the dome, and no hot gasses).  This restricts all cooking to the searing side
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The other option is to fill your lump higher.  Works the same as removing the ring. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • slovelad
    Options
    Thanks guys, always looking for ways to use less lump... Broke law school student here.

and I just tried it out with some thin ribeye, it cooked wayyyy faster than I thought it would
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    You wouldnt burn any more lump really. Just moving the fire higher 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @slovelad
    Lots of great advice given above. With that said, don't be scared to just fill the mini up. This isn't a great pic, but if you look close you can see that briquettes are actually touching my cooking grid. I use a woo in my mini so my grid sits even higher than factory level and I still fill it all the way up to the cooking grid for searing. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• slovelad
    Options
    @SGH thanks, and I know this is a whole different thread... But using briquettes?
  • SGH
    Options
    slovelad said:
    But using briquettes?
    I'm at work and kind of busy at the moment so I don't have time to explain in detail. But briquettes are used by more of the Thunder Gods than all other fuels combined. Who am I to question the Gods. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• clifkincaid
    Options
    Even geniuser: just fill the egg closer to the top

also, grilling with the dome open and the lower vent shut will cause a bed of coals to form across the top (instead of the fire diving downward)

it also means the top of the steak won't cook (no radiant heat from the dome, and no hot gasses).  This restricts all cooking to the searing side
    When the lower vent is closed and the lid is open do the flames get tall? I was wondering about that on the MM. For the purpose of using a cast iron pan with a handle on it. 
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    @sgh  My Mini gets plenty hot with lump at the fire ring level.  It must be an inferno filled all the way up to the grate.  Great tip for a fast sear.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    @sgh  My Mini gets plenty hot with lump at the fire ring level.  It must be an inferno filled all the way up to the grate.  Great tip for a fast sear.
    Yes sir, the little mini will get pretty darn hot no matter how you load it. The mini gets all of my searing work now. 

Status- Standing by.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I always fill my mini Piglet all the way up to the bottom of the cooking grate and yes it's a hot little searing egg. :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• SGH
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @slovelad
    Here are a few pics that may show up better. I load the mini up to the edge of the fire ring but leave a void in the center. The void will be filled and leveled off with burning lump from the chimney starter. Always remember, a full mini is a happy mini ;)

Status- Standing by.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I have cooked without the fire ring on my large egg.
    It works well, however I am a concerned that the grid fits too tight with the fire ring removed. My concern is expansion of the grid could possibly cause the lower egg to crack. 
    I have found the grid is too tight to remove until the egg has cooled.

Other than that, the egg cooks a great steak without the fire ring.

• 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    slovelad said:
    Thanks guys, always looking for ways to use less lump... Broke law school student here.

and I just tried it out with some thin ribeye, it cooked wayyyy faster than I thought it would
    Hmmm, broke law school student and he buys a BGE.  Guess they don't include money management classes in the curriculum.
  • SGH
    Options
    GregW said:
    It works well, however I am a concerned that the grid fits too tight with the fire ring removed. My concern is expansion of the grid could possibly cause the lower egg to crack. 

The above quoted is why it is no longer recommend to use a medium grid on the spider in the large. Not sure when, but BGE changed the design of the large (made the taper more abrupt) and as such it is now recommended to use a small grid on the spider with the newer large BGE's for the very reason that you mentioned. 

Status- Standing by.

• slovelad
    Options
    78 T140E said:
    slovelad said:

Hmmm, broke law school student and he buys a BGE.  Guess they don't include money management classes in the curriculum.
    Are you here to cook or troll ****?
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    SGH said:
    GregW said:

The above quoted is why it is no longer recommend to use a medium grid on the spider in the large. Not sure when, but BGE changed the design of the large (made the taper more abrupt) and as such it is now recommended to use a small grid on the spider with the newer large BGE's for the very reason that you mentioned. 
    Thanks. I didn't know that anyone else had experienced this issue. 
  • 78 T140E
    Options
    slovelad said:
    78 T140E said:
    slovelad said:

I thought it was a valid question.  But your inexperience is obvious in your response.  Maybe you missed those classes on decorum.  :-)
  • slovelad
    Options
    78 T140E said:
    slovelad said:
    78 T140E said:
    slovelad said:

I thought it was a valid question.  But your inexperience is obvious in your response.  Maybe you missed those classes on decorum.  :-)
    Is there some degree with your name on that you would like to display ?

if not... Sit down please
  • 78 T140E
    Options
    slovelad said:
    78 T140E said:
    slovelad said:
    78 T140E said:
    slovelad said:

Is there some degree with your name on that you would like to display ?

if not... Sit down please
    Yep!

You're a funny guy! :)

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I work with many people that I wonder "how did they get their name on a degree".  Don't think a degree really makes a person, in my opinion.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • slovelad
    Options
    I work with many people that I wonder "how did they get their name on a degree".  Don't think a degree really makes a person, in my opinion.  
    I totally agree... Undergraduate degrees are useless..

nowadays... You can't be competitive in the job market without a graduate degree
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    slovelad said:

nowadays... You can't be competitive in the job market without a graduate degree
    Assume you're referencing new grads straight out of school. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    slovelad said:

Dang, I don't even have a bachelor degree, just associates. I guess I'll never work for a Fortune 20 company. Oh, wait, I used to, until we split into 2 Fortune 50 companies. Now I work for a Fortune 50 company. And they pay me.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    Heck I dropped out of high school. Guess I'm just doomed ;)

Status- Standing by.

• slovelad
    Options
    Well of course there is an exception to every story.

but he overwhelming number of young adults who graduate from college with a bachelors degree have a difficult time finding jobs, and most do not get a job in their field of study
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Hey sticker boy. You're not doing yourself any favors at this point. Come back when you actually get a job.