Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    YukonRon said:

It is a Hot Dog.

Unless you buy the SRF dogs then it's a "haute dog". 

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If I ever get hungry enough again to eat a hot dog it will be called "The Last Supper", not a sandwich.,
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    They should ask this question at the next Republican debate.  Lightning round.  Just to mix it up a bit, keep things interesting.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Why would anyone do that?
    News flash Einstein.  Every part of the pig is in a dog, especially stuff like feet.
    News flash Einstein.  Every part of the pig is in a dog, especially stuff like feet.
    That's a lie.  Everybody knows they've been making hot dogs from Korean dogs for years.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited November 2015
    Options

SkySaw said:
     Now that no one eats hamburgers without the bun any longer, 
    IMHO, a hotdog is a  sausage of sorts, when you put it on a bun, I guess it is a sandwich but I don't care.

However, the bunless hamburger (and hotdog) are alive and well in Rochester NY as found in the Garbage Plate.  It is a local "delicacy" consisting of either cheeseburger patties or hotdogs (split and grilled) on top of home fries and Mac salad, and topped with a meat sauce.  Best consumed after 2 AM.  Nick Tahou's has trademarked the Garbage Plate name, but also known as a trash plate, dumpster plate, or just plain plate at many other establishments.  Not on my short list, but I am too old to be eat
    eating out at 3 AM

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Let's take that review with some flexibility. That was Dubai. I live in the U.S.A. I have no idea of the food rules in Dubai. Maybe any ice cream is a Sundae, and anything on bread is a Sandwich. Nothing wrong, just a label. Here, I label a hotdog as non-sandwich. Now, you split that dog, grill it and smother it with kraut and cheddar, on rye bread--that's a sandwich. Anything on a hotdog bun is not a sandwich.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    edible 'food' item on bread = sandwich 
  • coooltroy
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt that Lobster roll should be the highlight of this thread.. hotdog and sandwich shouldn't be mentioned with something like this!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Google "NOPD ham sandwich"
    Options
    I'd say no but if Bruce can be Caitlyn, then anything is possible
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    thetrim said:
    if Bruce can be Caitlyn, then anything is possible
    Makes one ponder doesn't it :whistle: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Not all beef hot dogs, Einstein. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Imagine having a life where you cared deeply about the answer to this question.   
  • SGH
    Options
    Imagine having a life where you cared deeply about the answer to this question.   
    You make a very sound and valid point my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    The real question is "Do hotdogs contribute to climate change?"
  • SGH
    Options
    It depends on who you ask brother Double. There is a certain political party out there who would probably say yes if it suited their agenda. Care to guess which one? 

Status- Standing by.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Throw some ghost chili sauce, jalapeños, and some sauerkraut on a dog and your guaranteed some climate change ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RollTideRob
    Options
    wouldn't a chili spread be an open faced hot dog sandwich?
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited November 2015
    Options
    As long as there weren't beans in it.  If there are beans in it, you can't call it chili spread.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    thetrim said:
    As long as there weren't beans in it.  If there are beans in it, you can't call it chili spread.  
    so with beans its called chili, no beans its a chili spread =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Chili sauce--no beans. Ground beef and very thin.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    SGH said:
    It depends on who you ask brother Double. There is a certain political party out there who would probably say yes if it suited their agenda. Care to guess which one? 
    It'd have to be the Dems, ha?  Cuz the other party will deny climate change irrespective of anything unless God herself comes down and says it is so.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    edited November 2015
    Options

What is it in us that seeks the truth? Is it our minds or is it our hearts?

I set out to prove a hot dog could receive a fair trial on the Big Green Egg forum, that all meat is equal in the eyes of Eggers. That's not the truth, because the eyes of Eggers are human eyes -- yours and mine -- and until we can see pork and beef as equals, justice is never going to be evenhanded. It will remain nothing more than a reflection of our own prejudices, so until that day we have a duty under God to seek the truth, not with our eyes and not with our minds where fear and hate turn commonality into prejudice, but with our hearts -- where we don't know better.

Now I wanna tell you a story. I'm gonna ask ya'all to close your eyes while I tell you this story. I want you to listen to me. I want you to listen to yourselves.

This is a story about a little hotdog walking home from the grocery store one sunny afternoon. I want you to picture this little hotdog. Suddenly a truck races up. Two men jump out and grab her. They drag her into a nearby field and they tie her up, and they rip her buns from her body, trying to make her into a sandwich. Now they slice the sides of her bun in half and flatten them out, shattering everything innocent and pure - vicious cuts - in a fog of drunken breath and sweat.   And when they're done, after they killed her tiny womb, murdered any chance for her to bear children, to live on as a hotdog, they decide to slice her up.  They flatten out those buns, press them down against the table, and slice the dog so thin it looks like bologna.  And then they commit the worst sin of all - they throw a slice of Kraft cheese on her.  

Now comes the toppings. They have a slice of lettuce; they put it on top. They add mayo - the humanity!  Imagine the flattened buns pulling tight around her neck and a sudden blinding jerk. She's pulled into the air, about to be eaten as a poor man's sandwich.  The buns aren't strong enough.  They fall apart and little pieces of hot dog fall back to the earth.  So they pick her up, stuff her body back between the buns, and  drive out to Foggy Creek Bridge and pitch her over the trash. And she drops some 30 inches down to the can bottom below.

Can you see her? Her raped, beaten, broken body, soaked in their mayo, bits of cheese on her, no relish to be found anywhere -- left to die?

Can you see her? I want you to picture that little hot dog.

Now imagine the buns aren't buttered.  

The defense rests your honor.  

• DoubleEgger
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Shouldn't you be teaching class @JohnInCarolina ;)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Shouldn't you be teaching class @JohnInCarolina ;)
    I am teaching sir!
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I'd like to be a fly on the wall in that class!