Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket temp safety zone for rest/hold?

Options
I need to rest a brisket and should not let the temp drop below ____ degees before I serve it tonight.
Thank you...
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I need to rest a brisket and should not let the temp drop below ____ degees before I serve it tonight.
    Thank you...
    Ideally you should hold it at 140 degrees as best you can. However if you don't have the means to hold it "spot on" at 140, you can cycle it as low as 135 back up to about 145 without any ill effects. This gives you a 10 degree up/down range to work with. If you can hold 140, you can hold the brisket for many, many hours with outstanding end results. As always, if a brisket God tells you different, heed their advice instead of mine. Remember this, if your holding oven drops to 135 for a short time, the meat temp will not drop immediately. That is why I give the 135-145 degree range if you can not hold a perfect 140. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    How do you plan to rest it and for how long?  There are many ways to keep a brisket above 140*F for extended durations, we are talking hours here.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    SGH said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Thank you...
    Ideally you should hold it at 140 degrees as best you can. However if you don't have the means to hold it "spot on" at 140, you can cycle it as low as 135 back up to about 145 without any ill effects. This gives you a 10 degree up/down range to work with. If you can hold 140, you can hold the brisket for many, many hours with outstanding end results. As always, if a brisket God tells you different, heed their advice instead of mine. Remember this, if your holding oven drops to 135 for a short time, the meat temp will not drop immediately. That is why I give the 135-145 degree range if you can not hold a perfect 140. 
    Perfect...thank you.
    My Brother has one wrapped in foil, wrapped in a towel and coolered now. Pulled at 8:30am at 205 degees. Wants to hold till dinner.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Here's a thread  that will afford you extended duration hold times:
    Foil Towels and Cooler (FTC) for extended duration FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Brother sent me photos...came out fantastic.
    Thank you...

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas