Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My double BGE Table in progress

mscaggs
mscaggs Posts: 45
edited September 2015 in EGG Table Forum
Well, here is 3 weeks of work so far.  I am just about ready to start the top...

I built this from Red Cedar that was rough sawn wood from a local sawmill.  Having to plane it all out makes it twice the work.  My garage smells so good right now :)

1.JPG 153.3K
3.JPG 139.4K
5.JPG 171.5K
2.JPG 194.7K
6.JPG 187.2K
4.JPG 193.6K
7.JPG 155.9K
13.JPG 120.8K
9.JPG 173.9K
11.jpg 187.8K
15.JPG 142.3K
17.jpg 200.3K
8.JPG 192.4K
12.jpeg 163.5K
16.jpg 207.2K

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Purdy!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Added a little trim today...

19.JPG 170.1K
    20.JPG 153.3K
    22.JPG 177.6K
    21.JPG 220.3K
  • What's the dimensions of your table? 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@mscaggs   Nice looking table so far.  And welcome to the forum.

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Brother that is looking great!! And you are correct, cedar has a great smell. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mscaggs
    edited September 2015
    efroeh said:
    What's the dimensions of your table? 
    About 78" wide x 24" deep....   Once the top is on I will give you more exact sizes.  I am building this without a plan so I am making all this up as I go.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    mscaggs said:
     I am making all this up as I go.
    This^^^^^^^ usually gets me into trouble ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH said:
    mscaggs said:
     I am making all this up as I go.
    This^^^^^^^ usually gets me into trouble ;)
    I know huh LOL...  I looked and looked for a real set of plans and none could be found for a double egg and what I wanted.  So......  this is what I have so far.  I have had to make just a few adjustments so far so I have been lucky 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    Beautiful table, great work!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• You are going to enjoy that table....  Looks great!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Beautiful work!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Thank you everyone.  I'm going to try and get started soon on the top.  I do have to say my neighbors have been pretty nice at the noise my planer makes :o)
  • Really nice!  Can't wait to see the finished product...
    Houston, Texas
    Large, MiniMax, and another Large.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    That a great table - thanks a bunch for sharing.

I've actually been invisioning something similar in my head for awhile, very similar dimensions and all.  Only difference for mine is that I'm planning on keeping my 1 Large in the center.  I'm thinking 3 x 24" square "segments" of the table, to have shelf space and counter space on either side of the egg.

How'd you secure the Egg Supporting shelves to their verticle pillars?  Looks like just a few pocket screws on each corner?  Do you feel that'll be sufficient to hold the weight of those eggs?
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • BRush00 said:
    How'd you secure the Egg Supporting shelves to their vertical pillars?  Looks like just a few pocket screws on each corner?  Do you feel that'll be sufficient to hold the weight of those eggs?

I used both pocket screws and lots of titebond glue.  Those joints are tight and not going anywhere.  If you look at some of the framing pics I really in some ways over built this thing and I can promise you it is more than strong enough to hold the eggs in place.

Thanks for your comments.  Now all I have to do is get busy and finish it up :)

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Sweet table and great craftsmanship.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    That's some nice professional woodworking
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Looks great! Nothing like mind over matter
  • mscaggs
    Well I finally planned out my wood and started gluing up the top...

24.JPG 212.8K
    23.JPG 139.9K
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Beautiful work.  That cedar is gonna pop when it gets some finish on it!

(p.s. more pics of your shop, please)   B)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice job.  You don't need plans per say, just a design that you scale and adapt to your materials and the things that matter like the egg height, etc.
    That is going to be a great looking table. I wish for the space and your workshop toys.
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    That is a great looking table. Good job. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Man that is one nice table!! I love it!! I am using cedar also but it isn't red cedar, I didn't think they carried it locally to me, but ended up finding a place after I had already started, so I have just regular cedar that I am staining but it just isn't the same. Will your drawers and cabinet be waterproof? That is what I am going for. How/what are you going to finish it with? I see tongue and groove is that correct? Did you use tight bond on them also? How thick is your top and how deep is the top as well as the length. Thank you for your time posting!!

• mscaggs
    edited October 2015
    Thanks so much.  I love Red Cedar and was lucky to find a source for great lumber close to home.  I do have to plane it all out as everything I bought was rough lumber.  That of course made this much more work.  

As far as finish goes I am planning to spray it out with Spar.  I will do the finish before the top is attached so I can get inside good.  I plan to finish all the drawers etc as well .  

On the panels I did do the tongue and groove as you mentioned but the joints are not glued.  I know the wood needs to move as weather changes as it will be out side. The joints are nice and tight.  I used glue on the top and bottom of each panel and used screws as well to attach to the frame..  All that is hidden under some trim I made.  

The top is 1 3/4" thick and heavy.  I have a 1" piece of Granite I plan to use in the center between the two eggs.  TIP:  I bought the granite on CraigsList for 40 bucks!  WAY cheaper than a granite shop wanted.  the depth of the top is about 31"  width will be 90".  The ends will be curved while the front and back will be straight.  I am very close to making the cuts.  I will use a router with a circle cutting jig to do the cut outs for the eggs.

My final move after this is complete is to make a nice cover.  I do have some limited upholstery skills and a nice Juki to sew with.  I plan to use a material called SunBrella I buy at Sailtite.  I will bind the bottom edge and do double seems everywhere else.

This is an expensive project for sure but going to a custom shop and having them build this would have been far more expensive for me.  Plus I kinda like doing it my way and taking my time with the details...

More to come as I get closer...  End goal - Cook on my egg!!

Cheers from Nashville

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    edited October 2015
    @mscaggs, you a pretty handy guy.  I thought of this after reading your last post. =)

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    Looks beautiful
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    I'll wager that this is going to be one of the nicest tables on this forum when all's said and done...

Lookin great @mscaggs!
    [Insert clever signature line here]