Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My double BGE Table in progress

Options

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Everything you hVe done looks great! 

But it please take this criticism with a grain of salt. With All of that amazing wood work and stitching you have done, you should redo the done covers. They look like upside down sack of potatoes. I have been following your post, and have been amazed by the skills. Until I saw the final stitched some covers. They don't so it justice.

just my 2 cents. Otherwise, I'm excited to see you finally get the eggs in place and cooking!
  • mscaggs
    Options
    slovelad said:
    Everything you hVe done looks great! 

But it please take this criticism with a grain of salt. With All of that amazing wood work and stitching you have done, you should redo the done covers. They look like upside down sack of potatoes. I have been following your post, and have been amazed by the skills. Until I saw the final stitched some covers. They don't so it justice.

just my 2 cents. Otherwise, I'm excited to see you finally get the eggs in place and cooking!
    I hear ya man but the problem is, I was barely able to make a cover to begin with.  Moving that much material under a needle is not a skill set I personally have.  I appreciate your comment but the truth is, I already knew that :)
  • mscaggs
    mscaggs Posts: 45
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I may cut those domes off and just do some square sides like a pyramid.  For me trying to sew a half of beach ball for the domes was a little over my head.  Plus the handles and hinges complicated matters as well.  The pyramid would be easy to make too.  I hate to have to order more fabric errrrrr
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    edited November 2015
    Options
    mscaggs said:
    I may cut those domes off and just do some square sides like a pyramid.  For me trying to sew a half of beach ball for the domes was a little over my head.  Plus the handles and hinges complicated matters as well.  The pyramid would be easy to make too.  I hate to have to order more fabric errrrrr
    Don't let my comments spoil your enjoyment. I could never do this good of work. My concern was, you have set the bar so incredibly high with the wood work, you wouldnt want to cover that up with anything less than amazing 
  • mscaggs
    Options
    slovelad said:
    mscaggs said:
    Don't let my comments spoil your enjoyment. I could never do this good of work. My concern was, you have set the bar so incredibly high with the wood work, you wouldnt want to cover that up with anything less than amazing 
    No not at all, It is bugging me too.  I know it's just a cover but I do like my work to be the best I can do.  Sew circles and domes is not for the amateur LOL...
  • hunter240
    Options
    mscaggs said:
    efroeh said:
    What's the dimensions of your table? 
    About 78" wide x 24" deep....   Once the top is on I will give you more exact sizes.  I am building this without a plan so I am making all this up as I go.

• hunter240
    Options
    I know this is a Dumb question, but you did use eastern red cedar and not western red cedar, correct? What was the dimension from top of egg support shelf to finished top?
    When I click on your name it brings up photos of a different table, it looks to be western red cedar, is this correct?
    Thanks for info!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That table is almost too pretty to cook on.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
  • mscaggs
    Options
    hunter240 said:
    I know this is a Dumb question, but you did use eastern red cedar and not western red cedar, correct? What was the dimension from top of egg support shelf to finished top?
    When I click on your name it brings up photos of a different table, it looks to be western red cedar, is this correct?
    Thanks for info!

Yes, I used Eastern Red Cedar on my table.  The top is 78x24"  I live in TN so the Cedar is some native wood I was told...
  • mscaggs
    Options

That table is almost too pretty to cook on.  
    No way :)  I've been cooking like a mad man on this thing.  I ended up getting a BBQ Guru which was a God Send, love it...
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    That is tremendous. The green lights are a GREAT little detail!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • hunter240
    Options
    Looking back is there anything you would change? How has the top held up?
  • jknudsen11
    Options
    I'm designing my table right now and would also like to add power to it.  How did you rig that up?  Are you going to be running an extension cord to your table? 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Table looks awesome...and there is just something about it that seems familiar to me.   =)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • mscaggs
    Options
    hunter240 said:
    Looking back is there anything you would change? How has the top held up?
    You know, I don't think so.  The table is exactly as I envisioned it to be.  Behind the center doors is a slide out panel that I set my two buckets of lump on and that has turned out to be a nice feature I am glad I added. 
  • mscaggs
    Options

I'm designing my table right now and would also like to add power to it.  How did you rig that up?  Are you going to be running an extension cord to your table? 
    Very good.  So I can't take 100% of the credit for design.  I saw a picture on Google of a table I thought was really nice and I used that picture as a model so to speak.  Of course that picture didn't come with dimensions so I kinda had to eye ball it and come up with something I though would work.  All the side panels I used I planned out from rough stock and used my router table to cut tongue and groove joints.  The whole table was made from rough cut cedar so the milling was a ton of work.

Now for the power I used outdoor receptacles with spring loaded covers.  On the inside I used regular romex wire inside metal flex tubing (conduit)  I also used metal boxes to mounts the plugs in the back.  On the bottom panel I mounted a male inlet (120v AC) which I ended up having to order from Amazon.  And them made myself a nice rubber extension cord with quality ends.  All and all the electrical was very easy to do for me.  I do build vacuum tube amplifiers so wiring this table was easy to do...  

I used a fabric called "Sunbrella" which I bought from sailrite to make the cover. I have an upholstery sewing machine with a binding attachment so that made sewing up the cover easy, well sort of.  The domes were hard to make for me and a professional could have done a better job.  However, the cover fits pretty good and so far is water tight...

The finish is a SPAR varnish.  So far so good but we'll see just how good once winter is gone.  No cracks or issues so far and it's been pretty cold here in TN.

I hope all that info helps a little...  
  • mscaggs
    Options

cazzy said:
    Table looks awesome...and there is just something about it that seems familiar to me.   =)
    ha!  I bet that one on Google is yours!  If it is man that thing is super sweet.  The table inspired my build all the way.   
  • jknudsen11
    Options
     On the bottom panel I mounted a male inlet (120v AC) which I ended up having to order from Amazon.  And them made myself a nice rubber extension cord with quality ends.  
    Very cool, looks awesome.  Any reason why you couldn't have done a female plug for the bottom plug in and use a male to male extension cord from your power to the table?
  • mscaggs
    Options
     On the bottom panel I mounted a male inlet (120v AC) which I ended up having to order from Amazon.  And them made myself a nice rubber extension cord with quality ends.  
    Very cool, looks awesome.  Any reason why you couldn't have done a female plug for the bottom plug in and use a male to male extension cord from your power to the table?
    Male to Male extension cord is a very bad idea and dangerous.  It might be easy for someone to unplug the cord from the table not realizing they have 120vAC in their hands with a live exposed end!  Ouch!  Build it safe
  • jknudsen11
    Options
    Male to Male extension cord is a very bad idea and dangerous.  It might be easy for someone to unplug the cord from the table not realizing they have 120vAC in their hands with a live exposed end!  Ouch!  Build it safe
    That makes a lot of sense, and I didn't even think of that, but duh!  Thanks
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    mscaggs said:

cazzy said:
    ha!  I bet that one on Google is yours!  If it is man that thing is super sweet.  The table inspired my build all the way.   
    Yep, sure is.  You did a great job!  Grats!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • marran8
    Options
    Beautiful work, really great craftsmanship! Curious which casters did you end up using?
  • mscaggs
    Options
    marran8 said:
    Beautiful work, really great craftsmanship! Curious which casters did you end up using?
    I believe the caster came from WoodCraft.  Not sure what I paid but 80 for 4 comes to mind.  They are all locking and high quality stuff.

Thanks for the nice comments
  • napolar
    Options
    Very nice work.  I am just starting to come up with my plans.  Hope mine will be close to yours in the end.
    Franklin, TN  - Large BGE 2016
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Beautiful table with superb craftsman.
    I love red cedar. 
    Kreg has a heavy duty pocket screw out now. Are you using the heavy duty screws?

• mscaggs
    Options
    GregW said:
    Beautiful table with superb craftsman.
    I love red cedar. 
    Kreg has a heavy duty pocket screw out now. Are you using the heavy duty screws?

Yeah I used the heavy Kreg stuff.  That table is over solid with the Kreg stuff and glued.  Thank you so much for the nice comments

• DebbieJ
    DebbieJ Posts: 2
    Options
    WOW  Perfect!
  • hunter240
    Options
    Can you give me  an update on how table has held up? Top, finish etc.
    Really nice table!