Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Things you cooked but were so bad you had to go off topic

Options
2»

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    ;););)XC242 said:
    @SGH I thought the rule was photos or it didn't happen??

Brother that happened back in the 80's. Its hard to post Polaroids
    I have a scanner, you can mail me the Polaroids and I'll send you jpegs. Just offering as a service to a forum friend. :smiley: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    SGH said:
    ;););)XC242 said:

Time to break out the Etch A Sketch. :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    No excuses... Gotta see photos.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    SGH said:
    ;););)XC242 said:

Just take a picture of the Polaroid.  =)
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • damnedhooligan
    damnedhooligan Posts: 213
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thank you for this thread! Cause I needed to vent:
    1. Short ribs that I only smoked for 3 hours because we were too hungry. I over seasoned them with DP Raising the steaks and brushed them with John Henry's Texas brisket marinade...tough and too spicy ! I logged my failures and will do this again by @DMW thread.
    2. I ruined expensive prime filets ! I used the rub co Santa Maria rub...apparently not enough?!! Cause it tasted too bland and SWMBO's was too rare for her...pic below is just after searing but I kept them direct raised up to 130 deg. I just have to do this cook again....reverse sear next time with indirect heat maybe...still figuring this one out since I've done some decent steaks before 
    3. My worst so far...first attempt to moms turkey meat loaf..it just tasted like spaghetti sauce and turkey. I need to dial in the seasonings and sauce ratio....looks like sweet potatoes or yams waiting for some marshmallows! I tried grading it with a fork 

I've had a lot of home runs but the last two misses have really brought me down. Thanks to everyone for your posts that continue to inspire me and give me hope. 

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    If I had a dollar for every pizza I've burned to a complete and total crisp I'd have...well at least a Hamilton or two. Just can't seem to get pizza right. I do one that's awesome and then two or three in a row that are burnt. I've tried low temp for a long time, high temp for a few minutes, pre heat the stone, don't pre heat the stone, home made dough, store bought dough, and I've been stacking them with my multi level grid. I think the trick may be one at a time and I have some 00 flour waiting for my next try.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've had great, good, average and less than on the EGG.....But the only total failure that I've had so far was pizza about 2 years ago. I had always done pizza in the oven at about 550* with great results.....Meanwhile, I went to a local, very popular, pizza spot here in Atlanta and asked them what their oven runs at.....they said between 900* & 1,100*.......well then! So naturally I came home and dialed the BGE in around 900*+ and threw a pizza on.......BLACK BOTTOM and FUSED to the stone. Terrible! Now, because of this group, I know that the sugar content of the dough and the temp need to be in balance. It's yet another reason why this community is priceless. 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    My worst, and first long cook, was a Boston butt. I didn't do much research and just cooked it to safe temp. I then tried to pull it. I cut it into slabs and ate it on a bun anyway.
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    Elijah said:
    My worst, and first long cook, was a Boston butt. I didn't do much research and just cooked it to safe temp. I then tried to pull it. I cut it into slabs and ate it on a bun anyway.
    You did not cook it long enough. That's still a good cook but pulled pork needs a lot of time to break down the fat and turn the meat into shreds. you did not have a bad cook, you had good bbq pork!

St. Johns County, Florida
  • s_claus
    Options
    First try at pizza on the egg. Burned the bottom - bad. Threw it away, and used the rest of the dough and made a second. I turned down the fire, but it was still a little scorched on the bottom. Still have to work on the pizza temp and timing.
    HO HO HO
    LBGE in Lawrenceville, GA