Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Used Egg Prices?

HofstraJet
HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
edited August 2015 in EggHead Forum
Seeing so many CL deals lately, I wonder what discount folks put on getting an egg with no warranty and/or for being an older model. Below are the list prices for the various sizes with no accessories. What do you think is a fair price for each to buy used in decent condition?

XL - 1199
L - 859
M - 669
MM - 598
S - 559
Mini - 399
Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• Pridnjoy
    Pridnjoy Posts: 130
    In my area, package prices that include the rolling nest and a couple other accessories seem to be about $100-$150 less than new if you shop the lowest dealer. Hard to justify buying used...
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I got a large for $600 and a medium for $150. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,007
    I've bought two larges off Craigslist for $200 and $300 

I've bought a mini for $150

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HofstraJet
    What's a good price for used MM (recent vintage in good shape)?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Any used egg I would by would have to be 50% retail without any accessories. That's the value of the warranty to me.
  • I agree with @Eggcelsior, i got my LBGE for 400 on craigslist with the nest, handler, rutland seal and a bag of bge lump. I did end up buying a new MiniMax as well from DizzyPig.

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax

• I paid 600 for my xl with place setter, mates, bge pizza stone, cover and ash tool.
    120 for my mini.
    I would rather have new ones with warranty.
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    I bought both my XL and Med at retail from my local dealer.  The XL was bought for $879 during a sale.  It included the XL egg, plate setter, grate lifter, one bag of BGE charcoal and delivery and setup.  The Med was purchased from the same dealer for $549 and also included a bag of coal and delivery and setup.

Being new to eggs and finding very little in the used department, I was willing to pay a little more to have the lifetime warranty.  After being on this site for a little while I now know that I got two very good deals.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • anish3232
    anish3232 Posts: 35
    edited September 2015
    I bought a new large egg for $730, your prices seem high
    Lexington, KY
    Large Green Egg July 2015 - Custom Granite & Stucco Table
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,702
    I got my Large for 300 Medium 200 and a new and unused mini for 250  plus many many accessories..........I wouldn't pay anymore than what I did
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Used here are 100 less than new. Or even less. I stopped checking CL. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • if a used mini is worth 399, then someone come and get it!

I have a mini in a custom stand which was once owned by the famous stumpbaby.

provenance is: stumpbaby>spike>essexcounty>stike

i will give the cash to essexco, since he gave me the mini

(if you dunno who stumpbaby is, you missed some good times.) see here, where his name shows as "unknown"
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• HofstraJet
    edited September 2015
    For clarification to @anish3232 and @Darby_Crenshaw, the prices I posted in the OP are the list prices of eggs - my question is how much off of list a used is worth. Thanks!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

(if you dunno who stumpbaby is, you missed some good times.) see here, where his name shows as "unknown"
    Last time I chatted with Paul his condition had finally robbed him of his livelihood and he was on permanent disability and in constant pain. He has remarkable courage coupled with a supporting, loving family who take care of him.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP said:

Last time I chatted with Paul his condition had finally robbed him of his livelihood and he was on permanent disability and in constant pain. He has remarkable courage coupled with a supporting, loving family who take care of him.
    I have never heard of him, but that sounds bad. I am glad he has a good family. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited September 2015
    So.... I've actually sold two eggs on Craigslist. There's a big difference in what I was willing to take and what I'd pay for a used egg. 

the warranty is gold. There's no way to tell if it'll crack tomorrow or in ten years no matter how much the person used it. 

I think 50% is where I would start thinking. 

XLBGE 
  • There's also a guy that has a formula. Just google used big green egg prices. 

http://www.bubbatim.com/site/mobile?url=http://www.bubbatim.com/Green_Book.php#2958

XLBGE 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Recent Vintage MM :rofl: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Paul and i talked for a while off an on. And his email stopped working

last i knew he was getting some surgery that hopefully was gonna straighten everything out. But he'd been hearing it for years. And the first surgery didn't help

guy was a pretty happy dude, positive outlook, for someone who had a tough deal. Something to be learned from that
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892

There is a dealer selling large eggs for $699.  A used, unwarranted large egg without accessories is worth about $400-$450 if in good, like new condition.

• i wouldn't buy used 
    the lifetime  warranty is worth the piece of mind in itself
    if anything goes wrong with your egg when bought new they will replace it
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    On my XL I've replaced the base twice, fire ring twice, plate setter twice, fire box once, all under warranty. If I had to purchase those outright, that would be more than the cost of the XL. I'm glad I never bought a used egg and never will unless it's really cheap and I'm drunk.

Speaking of which, how many other bad decisions have been made because of being drunk and something(one) being cheap?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    I have already replaced my large plate setter, fire ring, base and handle under warranty.  I have also had the fire ring for the mini max replaced as well, so it is truly worth it to enjoy the lifetime warranty that comes with a new egg.
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Buying used is a crap shoot. If you're a long time, heavy user; then expect parts to break. One broken item makes the savings a wash. Multiple replacements and the new warrantee Egg is the better choice.