Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday Night Surf & Turf

Options
TexanOfTheNorth
TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
edited June 2014 in Seafood
Decided to do steak and lobster for dinner tonight. Very pleased with the results. Had some wet aged New York strips in the freezer (set out this morning to thaw) and went to the local grocery store this evening and bought a couple of 2 1/2 lb. Atlantic lobsters. Did both on the egg and served with a baked potato and caesar salad. We only ate about half the lobster so plenty left over for some lobster salad this weekend.

Pair of 2 1/2 lb. lobsters ready to come home

Wet aged new york strips

Cold beverage to enjoy while egging

Boiled lobsters for about 5 minutes and then put in ice bath. Split in half and brushed with a mix of butter, lemon juice, s&p and minced garlic

Flipped lobsters over about 7 minutes into the cook. Steaks were flipped every 2 minutes or so

Steaks were at IT of 130* at about 20 minutes, lobster needed another 6 or 7 minutes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I approve of this 100%
    Toronto
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    =D> Dayum I missed the dinner bell again.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    My invite must have been stuck in my spam filter. Man that looks good.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Strong work John! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌
    Holy smokes my friend! That looks excellent to say the least. Steak and lobster is a unbeatable combination in my opinion. Wonderful job my friend! You have inspired me with the lobsters!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌
    I got to ask because I'm a lobster fanatic. Do you prefer your lobsters boiled, steamed or grilled? Just curious my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• terry_b
    terry_b Posts: 68
    Options
    What an excellent way to enjoy a Friday night! Awesome man!
  • SGH
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌
    Brother I think of all the posts I have seen on this forum I like this one the very best. Steak and lobster. I just can't get it out of my mind now. Awesome job brother !!

Status- Standing by.

• Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    Oh boy, that does look good.  There's a birthday in the family next week and I needed some inspiration.  Steak and lobster it is!
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    edited June 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌ I got to ask because I'm a lobster fanatic. Do you prefer your lobsters boiled, steamed or grilled? Just curious my friend.
    @SGH, not sure I have a preference as I love lobster! This was actually the first time that I've grilled it myself and it turned out really well. Once I got those 4 halves on the the egg I barely had room for my steaks but, in the end, everything worked out really well.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Dawnl said:
    Oh boy, that does look good.  There's a birthday in the family next week and I needed some inspiration.  Steak and lobster it is!
    Go for it @Dawnl. We weren't not celebrating anything special; just had a hankering for steak and lobster. $65 for the pair at Sobey's but, boy, were they ever delicious!
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌ 
    Excuse my ignorance, i am new to this egg (mine hasn't arrived yet, only ordered it yesterday) but very keen to do some lobsters when it arrives. What temperature was the egg at when you flipped them after 7 minutes? They look amazing!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @therealhaddock, I was cooking raised direct at around 375*. 
    Options
    Nom nom nom
    Options
    First class!  Beautiful cook.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• SGH
    Options
    In the words made famous by @Mike_Hauchertz "To the top". This is still one of my favorite posts. 

Status- Standing by.

• mckennan
    mckennan Posts: 25
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth love our atlantic lobster meal...looks very good...have to hit up the store here for some.  what temp did you do these at? thanks
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @mckennan, these were done last summer... I don't remember cook temp for sure but, probably somewhere in the 350-375* range.

By the way, this thread was what got @SGH solidly hooked on the forum!
    Options
    Thanks @TexanOfTheNorth, noticed the date but new to the egg and trying to soak it all in!!
  • SGH
    Options
    By the way, this thread was what got @SGH solidly hooked on the forum!
    No question of it my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Chauncy
    Chauncy Posts: 47
    Options
    Those are some serious crustaceans 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Dude-

if I was going to the electric chair tonight, THAT would be my last meal. 

Excellent work Buddy!