Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Butt, Small Egg

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So my wife's childhood friend and her family (6 kids, including a 17 year old son) are spending the night tomorrow night on their way from Boston back to the Huntsville area. And as luck would have it, I'm heading out tomorrow morning for a work trip for the rest of the week. My wife asked if I could cook a butt before I left for pulled pork.

So this morning I got up and got the Small rolling with OO, oak, and cherry:

It was a beautiful morning to have my coffee out on the deck while it was getting warmed up.

Once the bad smoke cleared I loaded it up, rubbed with Meadow Creek BBQ rub.

I had to add some nuts as spacers on the thermo to keep it from stabbing the butt.

It was nice and solid at 250* all morning and when I checked it around 1:00. I was tied to my desk pretty much all day and when I checked around 5:45, the temp had dropped to 200*...

I bumped it up to 300 and it still was running slow, so I wrapped it a bit before 8 and bumped the temps some more. That did the trick and around 9:15 I called it.

Let it rest a bit and then.

My wife will be reheating this and serving on Martin's potato rolls along with the following she will be making tomorrow:

Pasta Salad
Cucumber/tomato salad
Veggie tray
Peach dessert
Ice cream
Chips/Salsa

To say I am bummed I won't be here would be an understatement for sure...

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks like a slam dunk to me. Great looking grub brother D :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    The pig candy dripping in the plate is a sure fire sign of success. It makes me all warm and fuzzy seeing that. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looking good. What was the weight of the butt?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DMW
    Looking good. What was the weight of the butt?
    If I remember, it was 8.23lb at $1.49/lb from Wegman's :smiley: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    DMW said:
    If I remember, it was 8.23lb 
    Just right to make a small sandwich with ;)

Status- Standing by.

• PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Well done! That looks great. Nice back yard by the way.....
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• Nice work!
    Flint, Michigan
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Looks real nice. ...  I am sure your wife will be happy while your gone.... And her friend and family 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DMW
    I am sure your wife will be happy while your gone.... 
    She usually is...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I would have to take a to go bag. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • I guess I am going to have to try a butt and not wrap it in foil. I'm just a chicken and afraid it's going to be dry or not as good if it isn't foiled. Guess I am going to have to jump in the deep end and take off my water wings. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Are those "Bear Claws"?  Did you know they were invented by Ninjas?

Lookin and soundin good, De-wayne!
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • DMW
    Looking good as usual @DMW.
    Just picked up a butt at Wegmans on Sunday. Haven't made one in a while. Best price around here anyway.
    Yep, pretty much the best price consistently, aside from case pricing at Restaurant Depot.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Perhaps you might be coming down with something.....not sure you should be traveling. I think some nice pulled pork would bring you back around. JKOC.....looks dang good to me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Looking good Mr. D
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    I like big butts and I can not lie
    You other brothers can't deny
    That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
    And a round thing in your face
    You get sprung
    Wanna pull up tough
    Cuz you notice that butt was stuffed
    Deep in the jeans she's wearing
    I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
    Oh, baby I wanna get with ya
    And take your picture
    My homeboys tried to warn me
    But that butt you got
    Make Me so horney
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    @DMW What internal temp are you usually shooting for? Cook looks great!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • DMW
    @Ivanhoe - I use internal temp as a guide, they usually finish somewhere in the 195-205 range. Basically I want to be able to run a probe/skewer through it with almost no resistance. If it is bone-in you can also use that as a finish indicator, the bone should wiggle free with just a tug.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Lucky guests!!  
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Thanks!
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,710
    I'll be in Boston in two weeks, save me a plate
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I so wish I could work from home! Lucky bastige.

Sounds like everyone will have a feast while you're out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    lkapigian said:
    I'll be in Boston in two weeks, save me a plate
    We're not in Boston, we're halfway between Boston and Huntsville. If you get down to the Philly area, let me know, would be happy to have you stop by.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA