Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to BGE

Options
Several weeks ago, I built my dual BGE table.  Last weekend, I purchased a small & large BGE.  I have zero grilling experience outside the normal gas grill, a few burgers and etc.  I'm starting this new hobby and figure I might as well do it right.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I've already got a igrill2 with a pro ambient probe & Dutch Oven on order.

Going to attempt spare ribs this weekend for the holiday, wish me luck, lol
Kansas City, MO - XL, LG, SM

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good luck and welcome to the forum and to the lifestyle!

My best advice... have fun, don't be afraid to experiment and trust your instincts. There are many ways to get great results from the egg across a broad range of cooks.

Looking forward to seeing how you do. Pics, are it didn't happen.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    1) Welcome
    2) Listen to @TexanOfTheNorth
    3) Get a Thermopen

But mostly welcome aboard. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,735
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Welcome aboard this crazy asylum train i'm going to second the motion on the Thermopen. At this point you need to find a good butcher a therapist who understans direct and indirect and a loan. The ticket to get on the train is nothing compared to what it cost to stay on the train. Just remember to search for questions that have already been answered and never feel like a question is too dumb to ask. We all started exactly where you are. And we love pretty pictures of food
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    1) Welcome
    2) Listen to @TexanOfTheNorth
    3) Get a Thermopen

But mostly welcome aboard. 
    Yes Yes and Yes to all three. My addition to this list - a good set of welding gloves!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome and ditto all of the above.  Love how you went all in!!  The right attitude!  Good luck and give us pictures of those spares!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Welcome! Buy beer,foil, and paper towel in bulk! Mostly beer. Again Welcome.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The most important thing to learn is to learn how to build your fire and control the temp. See online videos. You tube or BGE website/ getting started tab. Cooks are either direct for searing etc or indirect with plate setter or other aftermarket setups. It is far easier to raise the temp than it is to try and lower it, therefore, it is best to catch the desired temp on the way up and before you surpass it. Always fill the coal up to the transition level of the firebox. The coal is not wasted and your egg performs better with adequate fuel. Once you master the fire, the sky is the limit. Now, do as the others have suggested and enjoy the experience. There will be failures, just stick with it. Happy Egging!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    I hope you bought a lazy boy recliner, as well as a large cup holer for your beverage of choice, to make BGE Therapy more comfortable.
    Welcome and have fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,526
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Here's a thread link where some good info has been provided that may be of use.
    New to the Forum, New to Everything Egg 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dos_Eggys
    Dos_Eggys Posts: 31
    Options
    Welcome! As a fellow newbie...I can say you are going to have fun learning how to master this beautiful device. Good luck to you!!
    KAB, DOT, Grill Grates, Smokeware Cap
    Picnic Shoulder Addict - Huntley, IL
  • jhayesbge
    jhayesbge Posts: 13
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I noticed comment about a thermopen but what's the difference between the igrill2 probe and the thermopen?  

The granite countertop was delivered this afternoon and my son came over tonight so I was able to insert the large BGE.  My table is basic, I'm an IT guy, not a carpenter ;)
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    That's a nice looking table. I'd suggest putting some feet under those eggs to provide an air gap. Many have seen the paver/stone get hot enough to burn the wood. I use something like this from HD.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    jhayesbge said:
    I noticed comment about a thermopen but what's the difference between the igrill2 probe and the thermopen?  

The granite countertop was delivered this afternoon and my son came over tonight so I was able to insert the large BGE.  My table is basic, I'm an IT guy, not a carpenter ;)
    The igrill is constant temp monitoring that is attached to a little station beside the egg and the attached probes go in the meat.  The temps are displayed on the station or you can see them on your phone.  Limited to Bluetooth.  

Themapen is an instant read thermometer that you can poke around and check different parts of the meat.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,870
    Options
    Thermapen doesn't make much (any) difference on a single piece of meat on a low and slow.  But when you are cooking 8 steaks over high heat having a really fast thermometer can be a real asset.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Welcome!  I agree with the Thermapen recommendation.  If you are an Amazon junkie like me, then you can find a good amount of necessities on the site, although I prefer to support local businesses when I can.  Here is a quick list of items I bought that I found to be useful:

LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    jhayesbge said:

The granite countertop was delivered this afternoon and my son came over tonight so I was able to insert the large BGE.  My table is basic, I'm an IT guy, not a carpenter ;) .
    From one techie to another, nice job with the table!
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • jhayesbge
    Options
    That's a nice looking table. I'd suggest putting some feet under those eggs to provide an air gap. Many have seen the paver/stone get hot enough to burn the wood. I use something like this from HD.
    TexanOfTheNorth,
    I'll look into some feet.  Currently I'm using the granite hole cut out to separate the the BGE and the wood.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    jhayesbge said:
    TexanOfTheNorth,
    I'll look into some feet.  Currently I'm using the granite hole cut out to separate the the BGE and the wood.
    I'd keep the granite there; just provide a gap between it and the egg.
    Options
    Welcome aboard. You can buy table nests from the dealer you purchased your eggs from. If I recall, south of $20. It will raise your eggs up approx. two inches off the granite you have. Some will argue you don't need the granite; however, I have seen enough hot embers pop out that would have charged my table had it not been for the stone I have in place.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    Instead of fire starters, you can follow-up a tip shared somewhere on this forum that suggests a coffee can to store paper towels soaked in vegetable oil (or canola if that is what you have in the house). I tear of several towels and fold them neatly and place them in a gallon freezer bag, and pour in oil and let the towels soak up the oil. You can store the freezer bag in any of those containers you have in that nice table of yours. When you need to start your fire for your cook, load the firebox and grab one of the paper towels and bury it in the middle of your pile and light it with a match or lighter and you should be good to go. Cheap and easy way to get a good fire going. Has not failed me yet.  I would also suggest watching a video on controlling your temp and do a test burn and see play with controlling the temp.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • DaveEGG
    DaveEGG Posts: 16
    Options
    Welcome.  As someone with a whopping two months of BGE experience, I can tell you this forum is a lifesaver.  Listen to the advice and you won't have a bad meal. 
  • Sandi_k
    Sandi_k Posts: 52
    Options
    If you're looking for the BGE feet, my understanding is that they've been discontinued for the "nest" made of metal.

But I found that the BGE knockoff - Kamado Joe - still offers them; they call them "ceramic shoes". I found some here - for $28 for 4 feet:

http://www.wholesalepatiostore.com/Primo/Model-400.html

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Just get table nest and leave the granite under that. Thats how I'm set up. Works great and gives you that extra peace of mind. 

Little Rock, AR

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    bob.bud said:
    Welcome aboard. You can buy table nests from the dealer you purchased your eggs from. If I recall, south of $20. It will raise your eggs up approx. two inches off the granite you have. Some will argue you don't need the granite; however, I have seen enough hot embers pop out that would have charged my table had it not been for the stone I have in place.
    My dealer wanted $60 for a large table nest, I said no thanks. I just use paver stones. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Welcome, beautiful job on the table and way to jump in.

Check out these two site for great BBQ info.

http://amazingribs.com/

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • jhayesbge
    Options
    I started my BGE experience about a year ago and I'm already planning on replacing my small BGE with another large BGE.  I'm thinking of going with another large instead of a XL due to less modification to my table.  Since I recently got a AG, no need for the XL.  I've been looking for a XL on craigslist list for some time now.  During my search today, I found a store in town that is having a 25% off sale on all BGE products including the eggs.  What is a BGE junkie to do  :)
  • Gamecock24
    Options
    jhayesbge said:

Love the table. Pretty similar to what I want to build. Would you mind sharing your plans if you have them? Thank you.
    Columbia, SC - in the market for a LBGE