Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the Forum, New to Everything Egg

Options
Hi there. Amateur budding foodie from the best part of Canadaland. 

I had been pining over a BGE for the better part of ten years and saw three gas hobbies come in, and out, of my life during that time (well, one was lost in a custody deal with an ex, but anyway) So when I started thinking about a new unit for the back yard, Big Green Egg wasn't far from the front of my mind. Someone at work cursed me, called me cheap, and told me to quit researching and just buy one. Sounds advice, I picked up a large as soon as I got home from my hitch (I work offshore) Four hours and a hundred bucks worth of spruce later, I had a table the egg could call home and now the egg proudly crowns my outdoor patio cooking experience.

Since it's been set up, I have done a pot roast, boneless chicken breasts, and brisket. All three cooks left me confounded when it comes to internal temperature: all three showed meat at correct doneness, but my thermometer was not to set temp. I have a wired remote jobby someone gave me as a gift and I did check it in boiling water and she was bang on 212 degrees! Needless to say, I am flummoxed. 

The brisket yesterday was four pounds and on for eight hours at about 230 on the egg gauge. It hit 170 and stalled, dropping to 166. We couldn't hold dinner off much longer, so my wife cut into it and saw it done so we hauled it off and found it very enjoyable. Trouble is, I had viewed Flaming Roosters brisket video where he called for it to hit 185. All of this clashes with what I had accepted as one and a half hours per pound.

So, all in all, I am still learning, I guess. I know is is a process. I do have enough patience for it. I was happy to dial in temperature control yesterday and I suppose learning the cook times will come, with time. Three cooks in a week is pretty good, I'd say! Pizza will be next!

I guess that's enough for my intro and first problem share. 

Cheers
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
Canadaland

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Welcome from the other best part of Canadaland - the left coast. The remote units like a Maverick are ideal to get you in the ball park, but IMO you need a quality digital to really determine how the cook is going, you need to check the temp in a number of spots on a roast or larger cook like a brisket. Thermapen is popular or maybe the ThermPop, but any quality divi will get you by. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    First up- Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Congrats on the purchase.  Degree of Kool-Aid consumption a matter of personal choice.
    A few comments on your post-make sure you have an air gap between your BGE and table regardless of paver or tile stack-up.  You generate a lot of heat and there have been some fires as a result of relying on the paver.  And cooking to the correct finish temp is the way to go-sounds like something doesn't match there.
    BTW-there is a search function box here and you can find more info than you ever will need regarding brisket cooks or anything else related to BGE or other worldly topics.  Or google and add big green egg to your query.  BTW-brisket isn't done til the flat probes like buttah but that's a whole 'nother thread.
    What follows is some info that you may find useful.
    Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm  

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/ Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/  

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run. 

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough for now. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sometrailsomewhere
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far. To address a few things:

I have a table nest and have been monitoring the temperature of the boards underneath. 

I haven't made any big after purchases, but the grill temp probe will be one for sure. Maybe even one of those dual jobbies. 

My dome temps are stable, I just cannot get the finish temp. Everything with the cut of meat was okay, it was done correctly. The fat didn't do the melty thingy, I don't think, but it was still good. Worth another try, for sure. 

I plan on reading further. I'm an avid forum user for other topics and missed the clearest rule: search before posting. Sorry for that. Excitement got the better of me. 

Thanks for for taking the time to reply. 

Cheers

Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Canadaland
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, and a belated happy Canada Day.
    Phoenix 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    First off, welcome to the forum and to the lifestyle.

Now, can you explain what you meant by this:

"All three cooks left me confounded when it comes to internal temperature: all three showed meat at correct doneness, but my thermometer was not to set temp."

The cook time on the brisket (I assume, based on the size, just a flat) seems a little long but they all cook a little differently. It is not altogether unusual to see a drop in temp during the stall. Bottom line, if you and your wife thought it was good then... it was good.

Two final thoughts, try calibrating your thermometer to 100*C (we are in Canada after all) and see if that makes a difference.  =)  And, pics, or it didn't happen!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    No worries on posting w/o search-I merely offered that up for information.  Many here are willing to reply to any question regardless of the number of times it has come around.  Enjoy your BGE!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    No worries on posting w/o search-I merely offered that up for information.  Many here are willing to reply to any question regardless of the number of times it has come around.  Enjoy your BGE!
    But, please, no raccoon questions!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    First off, welcome to the forum and to the lifestyle.

Now, can you explain what you meant by this:

"All three cooks left me confounded when it comes to internal temperature: all three showed meat at correct doneness, but my thermometer was not to set temp."

The cook time on the brisket (I assume, based on the size, just a flat) seems a little long but they all cook a little differently. It is not altogether unusual to see a drop in temp during the stall. Bottom line, if you and your wife thought it was good then... it was good.
    Sorry, I overcomplicated that by a long way.

The pot roast got to 165 internal but showed to be medium well on the edges, understandable - but it took so frigging long to get there!

The chicken, obviously, needs to hit a certain temp. We barely hit 160 and the thing was done done.

The brisket, as advertised by Flaming Rooster, was to hit 185 and experience the whole melty fat thingy that tastes so divine. But I hit that 170ish and saw it drop to 166, which I assumed was the "stall" I had read about somewhere. Then she'd move no higher. I put the thing on at 11 yesterday and we hauled it off at past 7. A four pounder. The dome temp held between 210-240 all day.

I take the comment about the wife on board: just super critical of myself and wanting only to get better, to understand first, but to ultimately improve. Anyway, it's all good, I just thought I'd fire it in there while I was introducing myself.

Hey, a longer cook time meant more beer drinking time - and besides a love of all things smoked, I love my craft beers!

Cheers
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Canadaland
  • sometrailsomewhere
    Options
    Here's a photo of the setup

Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Canadaland
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Well, the temp issue seems strange. What were your dome temps and, did you calibrate your dome thermo?

And, as @lousubcap suggested, you should still but a paver block under those feet. 
    Options
    I haven't cooked many briskets, am no expert, but I don't think 185 won't be high enough for most briskets.  The key really is poking it and actually feeling how tender it is.  And  two briskets that look pretty similar might cook very differently and need very different amounts of time.  It's probably not a good idea to plan a specific dinner time, or maybe to plan to end the cook at least a couple of hours before dinner.  That way if it's done, you can wrap it and put it in a warm cooler in towels to stay warm, and if it isn't done, you still have two more hours.

Another thing maybe people more expert than I can comment on, I've heard a bunch of people swear that they can't tell any difference between a brisket cooked at 200 and one cooked at 275 or even hotter, except of course that the hotter cook won't take as long.  So if you don't want to allow for a longer cooking time, next time, maybe think about raising the dome temp a bit.
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    Grill height (whether you cook on the stock set-up) or add a home-made or purchased grill adjuster will also influence your cooks. I cooked a roast indirect recently at the stock height, and it turned out great. All it took was moving  the lump to one side and inserting a rectangular drip pan under the roast next to the lump to hold it there. Kept the roast from burning. You can also make or buy a grill adjuster (AR) adjustable rig from ceramicgrillstore.com to move the cook higher up in the dome. Insert one of their ceramic stones and you have an indirect method. Or purchase the plate setter from your egg-supplier for a similar solution.

Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • sometrailsomewhere
    Options
    Well I got my first slap, I guess. I just checked the dome probe with a cup of hot water and she's 20 degrees shy. So I was cooking at between 190 and 220 all day, mostly lower. That'll teach me. I had purchased the egg already assembled by the dealer - calibrated the remote thermometer but not the unit's.

As said, the meat came out just fine - just not to that internal temp that folks recommend. It was tender and done.

I have a paver already bought for the table when I built it, but wifey no likey ("It make it looks less decorative") so it's not being used right now - but it will be, I'll just get some slate or something nicer looking...for her...  :)

Cheers
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Canadaland
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well I got my first slap, I guess. I just checked the dome probe with a cup of hot water and she's 20 degrees shy. So I was cooking at between 190 and 220 all day, mostly lower. That'll teach me. I had purchased the egg already assembled by the dealer - calibrated the remote thermometer but not the unit's.

As said, the meat came out just fine - just not to that internal temp that folks recommend. It was tender and done.

I have a paver already bought for the table when I built it, but wifey no likey ("It make it looks less decorative") so it's not being used right now - but it will be, I'll just get some slate or something nicer looking...for her...  :)

Cheers
    Tell her how pretty the glow from the fire will be if the egg sets the table and deck ablaze.
    Tell her how pretty the glow from the fire will be if the egg sets the table and deck ablaze.
    Well the deck is in need of replacing in another couple of years... B)

No, I get it. And it shall be done before next cook.

Cheers
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Canadaland
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Welcome.  Glad to have you around. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Welcome to the world of OCD Eggers! Glad to have you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    Always a fan of calibrated thermos-good that you caught it early in the game.  That said, if the finish temp indicator was good then...?   
  • mckennan
    mckennan Posts: 25
    Options
    New east coast egger here as well@sometrailsomewhere.  Great post, I have not attempted a brisket yet but 1/4 coming next week!!
  • sometrailsomewhere
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Always a fan of calibrated thermos-good that you caught it early in the game.  That said, if the finish temp indicator was good then...?   
    Yeah. I guess it was overall time that had me confused. But I readily take on board that I should just start super early and fire it in a heated cooler if it finishes early. I'm learning already!

My next attempt will be pizza with famous (in Pictou County) Pictou County Pizza sauce. Sunday. Then it's tail between the legs and back to work. 

Really beginning to to appreciate this place as a resource. I hope to contribute some of my secrets in time. 

mckennan said:
    New east coast egger here as well@sometrailsomewhere.  Great post, I have not attempted a brisket yet but 1/4 coming next week!!
    Thanks. Read and heed would be my advice. And best of luck!

Cheers
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Canadaland
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

Cheers
    May not look decorative, but you have a wood table on a wood deck next to a wood house.  A hot fire just wants to get out and have some fun with all that wood. 

You might want to consider using fire bricks. They provide better protection than a paver (but cost more) and do look a little nicer. They might get the wife's approval. I used fire bricks glued to a flooring tile (to keep them together).

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• sometrailsomewhere
    Options
    Thanks for that. I had some old fire bricks from my airtight, but they've since gone to fire brick heaven, whatever that is. 

I sourced some limestone which she will be happy with because it's going on the counters soon. I may even router out a section of my table and inlay the limestone there for a trivet of sorts. 

Cheers
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Canadaland
  • sometrailsomewhere
    Options
    Heya,

Another cook in the books. I had wanted to try my hand at pizza, but a busy weekend away saw my better half suggest burgers instead. Before I get too far gone, I have something to admit: I wasn't convinced that the Egg would make a huge difference in hamburgers due to the usual cook time. I mean, I was curious about doing the cook over direct (for the first time, too) but wasn't prepared to be blown away.

Now I can happily admit that both the wife and I are blown away by two of the tastiest burgers we've ever had!

I'll share my method, out of fairness and to see if anyone's doing the same:

I use about a pound of lean ground beef. Extra lean is too little fat for my grilling liking.

I add panko bread crumbs as a binder rather than egg. Then goes about half a cup of diced red onion, seasoned salt, lots of fresh ground pepper, Worcestershire, and finally some dijon mustard. Roll it all around to combine and then fire back in the fridge to bring meat temp down.

Form patties before the cook and place a divot in the middle of each with your thumbs. Grill for approx 6 minutes per side at 400 (0r 420 for me, if you've read my previous posts)

We got two very juicy, perfectly done hamburgers. I don't have pics because I was too hungry and impressed by my hand at this. Knowing it will only get better, too!

Thanks for reading, thanks for the support so far. I am back to work stuff tomorrow so I will be shutting down a few weeks - but I will be doing some seeking out of some more recipes to try when I get home.

Cheers
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Canadaland
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Glad you were both impressed with the results!

One suggestion.. consider opening a new topic with the appropriate title... it will help others in the future if they have a particular question.
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Glad to hear you had a knock it out of the park cook on the burgers. Like all things on this journey there are probably a thousand different ways to cook a burger but if you found a way that works for you and the Mrs. Stick with it till the urge to experiment hits.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck on the next adventure.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • sometrailsomewhere
    Options
    Seen re: differing thread topics.

I am off to post my first rub recipe.

Cheers
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Canadaland