Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger here!

Options
Just got a XL BGE this past weekend! I smoked ribs on sunday. I was really happy with the way they turned out and can already see Im going to love this bad ass grill/smoker!!!

First time issues and questions:

I got the fire started and it quickly went past the 250 degree's I had hoped to cook at. I had the temp set at about 275(which took awhile) and had to leave for three hours. When I got back it had got up to 300 degrees. I shut the bottom opening a little more and it brought the temp down.

Looking for some tips on how to get the fire started and stabilized to the 250 range quicker then the way I did it, which was lite the fire, wait awhile and close the top with the grate on the bottom still opened. Then as the temp went up I closed the grate a little by little. Then Once I knew the fire was going closed the grate down even more. I didnt want to close up the grate to fast and put the fire out.

2nd tip I'm looking for, how many  wood chunks will you use when doing a 10 to 12 hour smoke for Brisket and Pork Butt.
I will be smoking these two pieces of meat this weekend. I have used an electric smoker for the past 15 years and know what I need to do to get the results I want. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys for any help! I look forward to posting and learning on this forum! 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    First up-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. 
    There about as many ways to light the BGE as posters.  That said, what follows works for me for a low&slow cook on a LBGE-after loading the lump, I light a small piece (about the size of a quarter) of a starter cube (don't recall the brand) loaded slightly forward of dead-center about a third of the way down the lump load.  Dome open and bottom vent wide open.  Once I get around a softball sized fire going I shut the dome, adjust the bottom vent to about a 1/2" open and put on the DFMT with petals wide open.  When passing 200*F or so, throttle down to around 1/4" on the bottom vent and then aim to stabilize around 250-270*F.  This process takes a while but during that time the "bad smoke" clears and you won't overshoot your temp.  FWIW-
    You can get there much quicker with other start-up  methods and I'm sure they will be along. 
    Regarding wood-I use about 3-4 chunks of Jack Daniels barrel chunks for a brisket cook and about an equal amount of pecan for butt cooks.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    There about as many ways to light the BGE as posters.  That said, what follows works for me for a low&slow cook on a LBGE-after loading the lump, I light a small piece (about the size of a quarter) of a starter cube (don't recall the brand) loaded slightly forward of dead-center about a third of the way down the lump load.  Dome open and bottom vent wide open.  Once I get around a softball sized fire going I shut the dome, adjust the bottom vent to about a 1/2" open and put on the DFMT with petals wide open.  When passing 200*F or so, throttle down to around 1/4" on the bottom vent and then aim to stabilize around 250-270*F.  This process takes a while but during that time the "bad smoke" clears and you won't overshoot your temp.  FWIW-
    You can get there much quicker with other start-up  methods and I'm sure they will be along. 
    Regarding wood-I use about 3-4 chunks of Jack Daniels barrel chunks for a brisket cook and about an equal amount of pecan for butt cooks.  YMMV-
    What he said, +1....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Welcome!

Just remember it's easier to catch the temp on the way up. I dampen down once I'm within 50 degrees or so. You'll learn the aprprox settings as you go along! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Welcome!

Just remember it's easier to catch the temp on the way up. I dampen down once I'm within 50 degrees or so. You'll learn the aprprox settings as you go along! 
    And, don't post pics with forks, or @THEBuckeye will let you have it!

Welcome to the forum and the lifestyle!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Ok, I think I see one thing i may have done wrong, I used 3 or 4 starter squares BGE brand. I thought by using 3 or 4 I was making sure I got the a big enough fire started.

Thank You! Saturday I will use one.
  • jffmart99
    jffmart99 Posts: 11
    Options
    Welcome!

Thanks, I use this for sure. By the way O! H!!

Fellow Buckeye here, live in Chicago now but have lived in Canton, Columbus and Springboro!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Congrats on your new Egg, jffmart99! 

I'm a new Egghead myself and it doesn't take long to get your method down for dialing in the temp. 

Enjoy the ride.  =)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Try a heat gun to light the lump...it works great!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. The cost to get in is nothing like the cost to stay in.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky