Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SmokeWare Cap v1 vs. v2

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    This isn't the first thread to venture off course and surely won't be the last. Simmer down folks
    Exactly... before the mods have to get involved.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Grumpy Cat has spoken.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    I don't really understand how the original post can be considered "Off Topic".  This product, like many other products we discuss in the Main thread, is designed specifically for the BGE.  Sheesh...

You're not one of the purists are you?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    This isn't the first thread to venture off course and surely won't be the last. Simmer down folks
    I am not heated at all just thought the OPs post was funny. How do you bring up etiquette when you are on one company website advertising the new accessories that another vendor makes and don't even post it in off topic you post in the main forum. I would never even have seen it if it was posted in off topic.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Wait!  There are mods???   :o
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited June 2015
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Why bother explaining the benefits if you already know you don't like it.  Why bother posting on this thread if you have no intentions of answering the ops post?
    To give another opinion.
    While I appreciate any & all opinions, there is the matter of forum etiquette. I started this thread to gather opinions from people using one version of SW chimney cap or the other. I didn't ask about the daisy wheel, nor did I ask about which minivan would be better for my growing family or which shampoo everyone uses. If there are guys in here interested in chiming in on products they have no interest in using, might I direct you to a forum on tampons? I can provide you with links using Google, if you'd like. I don't know them myself because I don't visit them; I don't have anything worthwhile to, ahem, contribute.

Happy Egging! Now back to the thread topic.
    forum etiquette. That's funny. You post an off topic thread about a 3rd party item in the main forum then bring up etiquette.
    How is a thread about an accessory for green eggs offtopic?

This cap is an upgrade because people want it more than the Daisy wheel. I hate my daisy wheel. It flings out of calibration every time I open my hood. The smokeware NEVER does that. That's called an UPGRADE. It fixes a problem with the original, thus upgrading it's performance. 

I love my smokeware cap and I still take it off and shut my egg down with the ceramic cap. I still prefer the function of the SS cap over the daisy wheel by a large margin. I have the daisy wheel on my small and it works great. But I have to readjust it after opening the lid. Is that going to keep me from enjoying my small egg. Hell no. But it's definitely worth the freaking $40 for something I use 3 times a week. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited June 2015
    Lit said:
    I am not heated at all just thought the OPs post was funny. How do you bring up etiquette when you are on one company website advertising the new accessories that another vendor makes and don't even post it in off topic you post in the main forum. I would never even have seen it if it was posted in off topic.
    If this is the issue, and not something else, please submit to have it moved to wherever you feel is appropriate. It wasn't my intention to bring anyone into this conversation against their will and make them post about things they have no interest in. That one is on me. I just don't understand the motivation to troll, but if you must, I guess, you must.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • Lit
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    Why bother explaining the benefits if you already know you don't like it.  Why bother posting on this thread if you have no intentions of answering the ops post?
    To give another opinion.
    While I appreciate any & all opinions, there is the matter of forum etiquette. I started this thread to gather opinions from people using one version of SW chimney cap or the other. I didn't ask about the daisy wheel, nor did I ask about which minivan would be better for my growing family or which shampoo everyone uses. If there are guys in here interested in chiming in on products they have no interest in using, might I direct you to a forum on tampons? I can provide you with links using Google, if you'd like. I don't know them myself because I don't visit them; I don't have anything worthwhile to, ahem, contribute.

forum etiquette. That's funny. You post an off topic thread about a 3rd party item in the main forum then bring up etiquette.

This cap is an upgrade because people want it more than the Daisy wheel. I hate my daisy wheel. It flings out of calibration every time I open my hood. The smokeware NEVER does that. That's called an UPGRADE. It fixes a problem with the original, thus upgrading it's performance. 

I love my smokeware cap and I still take it off and shut my egg down with the ceramic cap. I still prefer the function of the SS cap over the daisy wheel by a large margin. I have the daisy wheel on my small and it works great. But I have to readjust it after opening the lid. Is that going to keep me from enjoying my small egg. Hell no. But it's definitely worth the freaking $40 for something I use 3 times a week. 
    I don't think we are really supposed to promote any 3rd party accessories right? I know it happens every day but so does people posting off topic responses in others threads. I never said the smokeware was bad it just didn't work for me cause I already was familiar with the daisy wheel settings. 
  • DeltaNu1142
    This is why we can't have nice things.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Lit said:
    I don't think we are really supposed to promote any 3rd party accessories right? I know it happens every day but so does people posting off topic responses in others threads. I never said the smokeware was bad it just didn't work for me cause I already was familiar with the daisy wheel settings. 
    Then no discussions about ARs, Woos, RW, OO, CyberQs, tables, etc.?

There's no way BGE can expect a message board about its products not to involve discussions of third party aftermarket products. If they actively shut down topics on third party products or critical posts, their message boards would be useless (I'm looking at you, Sling).
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Personally, I think Chrysler makes the best minivan.
    Flint, Michigan
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Personally, I think Chrysler makes the best minivan.
    Okay; but, purchase or lease?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    To give another opinion.

I can help with the daisy wheel calibration. you just aren't setting it right. once you get to the temp you want just turn the cap to line up the 2 screws and the thumb notch all pointing toward 12 o'clock. it will never go out of adjustment again. 

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Lit
    Lit said:
    Then no discussions about ARs, Woos, RW, OO, CyberQs, tables, etc.?

There's no way BGE can expect a message board about its products not to involve discussions of third party aftermarket products. If they actively shut down topics on third party products or critical posts, their message boards would be useless (I'm looking at you, Sling).
    I agree just like the OP can't expect posts to stay 100% on topic around here. All I said is the DFMT works in my first post then Ron said it is a POS. It does suck that it slides when you open the egg but all you have to do to fix that is turn it around so it opens at you. Oh well no more nice things for anyone ever cause someone posted something in your thread.
  • Lit said:
    Lit said:
    To give another opinion.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    The obvious solution here is to learn how to cook without any cap!
    I used my DFMT last night. It felt like I was trying to hook up with an ex girlfriend. 
  • DeltaNu1142
    There's always a bell curve.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    I was told by the dealer to put the "Big Green Egg" logo on the left as you stand by the handle. I got sick of the wheel constantly changing every time I lifted the dome, so I put the hinge at the back and have not had a problem since.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I consider it an upgrade based on the material alone....  That is why I made the upgrade reference in my post.  I also consider my Egg an upgrade from my gasser although both will sear, grill and smoke....my gasser also has a rotisserie but I'm not holding that against my Egg.  It is still an upgrade in my  eyes.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129

I see all these aftermarket items for our Eggs and always wonder which ones are actually worth the $$ you pay for them. .
  • theyolksonyou
    Back to the topic at hand. I haven't experienced the temp creep problem with version one. It that an issue specific to using a controller?(don't have one)

that said, I look forward to the reviews on v2
  • DeltaNu1142
    It's entirely possible I've been leaving it gapped too much for low & slow cooks. I usually have it open 1/4" with my CyberQ, and it'll creep up from 225 to 250 over a couple of hours. Matt from SW told me yesterday to close it entirely if you've got a fan & controller. My v2 gets here Friday, so maybe not in time for my next cook... so I'll probably try that with the v1 Friday.
  • I have V1 on my XL.  I have used it with my DigiQ2 without a problem.  L&S without the DigiQ2 is also no problem.  I have not experienced any temp creep.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DeltaNu1142
    Cool. How far open do you leave it?
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited June 2015
    Love the active conversation here, so I'll add to it.  Question for the Smokeware cap users, v1 and v2.  If you also use the flat cap, does rain collect in it if left uncovered?  Looks like it would up to the vent opening.  I ask because I'm considering the SW vent and cap, since I broke my OEM cap and currently have it glued and taped together.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • theyolksonyou
    @500 that's exactly why I have the SW cap. That said, I don't have the flat cap, but it goes under the "mushroom" top so I wouldn't think it would build up water. 

Ive never noticed any water in my egg and it is uncovered all the time. 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    @500 that's exactly why I have the SW cap. That said, I don't have the flat cap, but it goes under the "mushroom" top so I wouldn't think it would build up water. 

Ive never noticed any water in my egg and it is uncovered all the time. 
    Thanks for the comment, Eggyolk.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Cool. How far open do you leave it?
    Every egg is a little different with air leakage ... plus, each egg tends to change over time.  My original large seems to leak air like a sieve at the bottom vent.  I've RTVed the back plate around the ash hole and done some other things to reduce air leakage.  So, with the DigiQ and the Flame Boss, I run my Smokeware cap (bottom half has the seal installed) between just barely open to just barely closed to maintain a consistent 250 degrees.

If you increase the target temp, you'll have to change the cap setting.  A 3/16" opening will maintain 350 degrees on my setup with either controller.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Back to the topic at hand. I haven't experienced the temp creep problem with version one. It that an issue specific to using a controller?(don't have one)

that said, I look forward to the reviews on v2
    it did not hold low temps for me with or without a controller. I don't cook with a lid at all over like 400 so I only use the lid for low and slow. For that reason, V1 was completely worthless for me. Guess I'm a sucker for gadgets because I'm willing to try again. I like the daisy just fine but we have had more rain this year than in the past 10 combined so I can kind of see the value in it for cooking in the rain. It will probably go dry for years again next month and I will have no use for them once again. I think it's pretty cheap for what it is and I'll give them away like I did V1 if I don't like them.

There is a reason they made these changes. There was obvious feedback that it didn't hold low and slow and that it didn't snuff out the lump as well as the OEM stuff. Call me a purist but I like what works :wink: 

I think the fixes are smart and make sense so I'm willing to try again.