Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange - Show Off Thread

Options

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @theyolksonyou I hope for his sake that it doesn't set his rectum ablaze! I do love spicy sauces and I'm assuming that what the brand name is alluding too. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @theyolksonyou I hope for his sake that it doesn't set his rectum ablaze! I do love spicy sauces and I'm assuming that what the brand name is alluding too. 
    They did have it out to sample so I tasted on a bland cracker. Wasn't hot in that one little bite, but who knows how it builds. 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    WOW awesome stuff everyone - I am really jealous right now.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    They did have it out to sample so I tasted on a bland cracker. Wasn't hot in that one little bite, but who knows how it builds. 
    Maybe its really hot going out but not so bad going in. 

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Very nice selection sent to @gmac from @UncleFred. Very interesting cross section of SD favorites and a few I don't recognize that I was hoping to get some more info on.

First off, the beer is awesome! To my mind Alesmith is far and away the best microbrew in SD and I couldn't be happier to see them expanding distribution into the midwest. It seems silly, but not having access to Speedway Stout was something I was actually really concerned about when moving away from SD, and now I'm stoked I can get it AT COSTCO!!!

The Stone Smoked Porter BBQ sauce is one of the best things they make, and I'm including all of their beers in that statement! If I saw that in a local store I'd pick it up with no hesitation!

The Bates Nut Farm sauce is also very good, and is a nice local touch. That's a really fun place to take the kids come fall; great pumpkin patch out there.

Phil's is often touted as the best BBQ in SD, and while I might argue with that I do like their sauce. I always feel like I get a pretty strong celery salt flavor from that sauce; would be curious to hear if you get that too.

I've seen the Tony Gwynn sauce around but never tried it and the others are either foreign to me or nationally known.

That box really brings me back to SD; fun to see it all on this thread. Nine months ago my exchangee may have sen a very similar selection from me. nice job again to @UncleFred and congrats to @gmac .

Cheers all -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Mantoothian
    Options
    My package is shipping out tonight! Assuming I can make it to the post office before they close. I assume flat-rate boxes are the way to go?
    Denver, CO
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @mantoothian if you can get it all to fit then yes. 

• Black_Badger
    Options
    @Mantoothian, that's what I did. We've seen a couple breaks so make sure to wrap anything in glass very well.

The receipt I got from USPS showed the next day price would have been $81, but with flat rate it was less than $15 (haha)!

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options

Yo @gmac

We started collecting a few months ago with the thought of giving (whomever) a taste of BBQ from the deep south... (San Diego IS as far south as you can get in California!)... so everything except maybe the mix & the Famous Dave's, are tried and enjoyed and strictly from SD county.

And that was the other thing I didn't "get" at the start of this thing... the whole "secret" thing, so when I saw your email on Elfster, I figured that was the best way to ask questions, sorry if it spoiled the anticipation/surprise...a bit sorry you were outta town at the time cuz I'da included a few more of the local craft beers. (But as dicussed, you get that US box and I'll score you some Pliny).

The grape and plum are very good for poultry and fish when used in moderation...

Who knew there were restrictions on sending things to Canada???

I mean, I LOVE Canada and the Canadian people.  And some day soon, if it gets any dryer down here, we're gonna annex you and then steal your water (we'll let you keep nunavut). But as of now, international shipping regulations and rates are a B*%#$.  (I'm good at this, I refer you to my tag line).

I will admit that while in line at the post office the 3rd or 4th time, I "got" why they wrote "The Toronto Song"... :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CF65H7j5Os

Take care and enjoy my friend...

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Mantoothian
    Options
    @Black_Badger That's what I like to hear! Save some money to spend on tasty meats...
    Denver, CO
  • UncleFred
    Options
    ...Very interesting cross section of SD favorites and a few I don't recognize

The Stone Smoked Porter BBQ sauce is one of the best things they make, and I'm including all of their beers in that statement! If I saw that in a local store I'd pick it up with no hesitation!

That box really brings me back to SD; fun to see it all on this thread. Nine months ago my exchangee may have sen a very similar selection from me.
    Cheers all -
    B_B

Thanks for the kind words... If you need a San Diego "fix", let me know and maybe we can work something out.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Sounds like a deal @UncleFred. After the exchance I'm pretty well set for BBQ, but a beer conduit would not be amiss! If you're a craft beer fan there are some nice ones here in Wisconsin!

Cheers -

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options

The Bates Nut Farm sauce is also very good, and is a nice local touch. That's a really fun place to take the kids come fall; great pumpkin patch out there.

Ok this is stupid, but made me laugh out loud.  Before Austin, we lived in SD, the kids all had field trips to Bates Nut Farm, but when you have a bunch of little boys running around, it quickly becomes Nates Butt Farm, followed by a bunch of little boys giggling.  Stupid, but funny memory.  Of course that ended up slipping out of my mouth at the wrong time once or twice.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options

@OmahaOne really outdid himself with this haul of goodies he sent to me. A plethora of sauces and rubs (none of which I've tried before). Locally made sweet potato chips, granola, tomatoes, and salsa con queso. Smoke wood and Bloody Mary mix! Brother your generosity is astounding. Thank you.

SWMBO cracked up when she saw the bloody mix. She always says that I'm on a lifelong quest to find the worlds best Bloody Mary (she's not wrong). 

Out of curiosity, what type of wood is the chunk of smoke wood?
  • Mantoothian
    Options
    @black_badger I'm always down for a beer exchange! Colorado knows a thing or two about killer brews...
    Denver, CO
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Hurray! My gift arrived to day! The package brother Daron(egghead_daron) put together was a great end to a good no rain Monday. Very informative letter and the assortment is very nice. I will be sharing the potatoes chips with my employees tomorrow when I bring in fresh BBQ pulled pork sandwhichs. Great job Daron and thank you for being part of the exchange. Tilt of my hat to cazzy as well for letting us all be part of a great thing. 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @Phatchris I forgot to mention in the the note:  I have no idea if that "blazin rectums" sauce is any good. I just thought it was frickin funny so I threw it in. 
    It's hilarious... I rubbed a few chicken breast tonight with the Tennessee cinnamon chipotle rub and a few others with the rub some butt... Good stuff,the  Tennessee will be awesome on ribs, the rub some butt was nice and subtle.... Oh and that Fletcher's red kicks ass, awesome sauce... Not too sweet, nice kick really impressed with it.

no pics because I did them on my *gasp* gasser....
  • Phatchris
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Dang @theyolksonyou ...  Nice work man.  

Incredible  =).   It's going to take me a while to sample it all.
  • Phatchris
    Options
    Im a fan of spicy... I'll get the prep H ready  :o
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Sounds like a deal @UncleFred. After the exchance I'm pretty well set for BBQ, but a beer conduit would not be amiss! If you're a craft beer fan there are some nice ones here in Wisconsin!

Cheers -

B_B
    Now this I could get in on. Moon Man from New Glarus is one of my all time favourites and the fact you can't get it outside of Wisconsin is a shame. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • gmac
    Options

Very nice selection sent to @gmac from @UncleFred. Very interesting cross section of SD favorites and a few I don't recognize that I was hoping to get some more info on.

First off, the beer is awesome! To my mind Alesmith is far and away the best microbrew in SD and I couldn't be happier to see them expanding distribution into the midwest. It seems silly, but not having access to Speedway Stout was something I was actually really concerned about when moving away from SD, and now I'm stoked I can get it AT COSTCO!!!

Phil's is often touted as the best BBQ in SD, and while I might argue with that I do like their sauce. I always feel like I get a pretty strong celery salt flavor from that sauce; would be curious to hear if you get that too.

I've seen the Tony Gwynn sauce around but never tried it and the others are either foreign to me or nationally known.

That box really brings me back to SD; fun to see it all on this thread. Nine months ago my exchangee may have sen a very similar selection from me. nice job again to @UncleFred and congrats to @gmac .

Cheers all -
    B_B

Thanks for the comments. 

And @UncleFred thanks again. I wasn't at all concerned about the anonymity aspect. I just didn't want to peek at the picture. There aren't that many surprises in life these days. Can't wait to try them all and am debating between the Bates Nut Farm and the Stone first. 
    We've had about 7 inches of rain this month. I can package you up some premium Ontario rain if you want :)
  • UncleFred
    Options
    gmac said:

We've had about 7 inches of rain this month. I can package you up some premium Ontario rain if you want :)
    Gawd... we haven't had 7" of rain this YEAR and really not "scheduled" to get any more till after mid-October, so if you could figure out how to get your rain to California cheaply you could be Bill Gates kinda rich.

BTW... in doing some research on you area I saw that the national dish of Ontario is something called poutine?? Which I understand are french fries, gravy, and cheese curds?  ...where do I sign up? (of course our 1st lady would disagree!). We don't get get good stuff like that (or totchos) in San Diego. :frowning: 

• OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options

@OmahaOne really outdid himself with this haul of goodies he sent to me. A plethora of sauces and rubs (none of which I've tried before). Locally made sweet potato chips, granola, tomatoes, and salsa con queso. Smoke wood and Bloody Mary mix! Brother your generosity is astounding. Thank you.

SWMBO cracked up when she saw the bloody mix. She always says that I'm on a lifelong quest to find the worlds best Bloody Mary (she's not wrong). 

Out of curiosity, what type of wood is the chunk of smoke wood?
    I meant to say what type of wood in the note, but got ahead of myself. It's Mulberry.  Hope you enjoy everything. 
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • gmac
    Options
    Poutine is more of a Quebec thing and its awesome. Best poutine I had was in Ste. Albert, just inside QC at a local dairy that made the curds that day. They had a little diner attached. You could get it all kinds of ways. With sausage, ground beef, veggies etc. 

It's rumoured to be somewhat less than healthy but those are rumours. 
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    @UncleFred Poutine is amazing and you should DEFINITELY head to Tiger!Tiger! on El Cajon Blvd. to try it out! The dish in and of itself is amazing and that spot truy does it justice! Furthermore, everything else on the menu (and basically ALL of the beers they bring in) are awesome! One of the places I absolutely miss most in SD. Well worth at 30+ mile drive down from Carlsbad for a weekend retreat!

@gmac and @Mantoothian we're going to have to set something up! Moon man is indeed VERY good (as is pretty much everything out of New Glarus). The fact that you can't get it outside of WI is only problematic if you don't live in WI (haha)!!!

Cheers -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Roadpuke0 said:
    Hurray! My gift arrived to day! The package brother Daron(egghead_daron) put together was a great end to a good no rain Monday. Very informative letter and the assortment is very nice. I will be sharing the potatoes chips with my employees tomorrow when I bring in fresh BBQ pulled pork sandwhichs. Great job Daron and thank you for being part of the exchange. Tilt of my hat to cazzy as well for letting us all be part of a great thing. 
    Hope your guys enjoy the chips! That should make a good compliment to the sandwiches.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    egghead_daron .  . cincy representing!  Very nice and super PC of you to put both skyline & goldstar.  IF only you could have put a tube of Goetta !
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    @NDG That's funny. I live over in southern Indiana and work in Cincy. I am amazed at how different things are here than what they are 80 miles away. I had never heard of Goetta or Metts either one until I started over here. And the whole debate between Skyline and GoldStar cracks me up too. I haven't noticed the slightest difference.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    I received my care package yesterday and after several hours of anticipation at work, I was finally able to get home and open last night.  Thank you very much to @gmac for the wonderful note and goods from Canada.  This was just in time for Canada Day celebration tomorrow!  You bet I will be tapping into those beverages tomorrow!  

Having visited Canada many times, I got a big kick out of your selections and truly appreciate your generosity.  My daughter listened to the Celine Dion CD last night, so even that was a win!  

My son and I used the Habanero sauce on some tacos last night and really enjoyed it.  The Saskatoon Berry syrup looks very interesting, and we might have to incorporate that into a pancake breakfast very soon.  I can't wait to try the Newfoundland Screech Rum Sauce and Veggie Blaze rub!  You gave me a ton of options with the stuff you included, so I'm still trying to process all the combinations!

Excellent work @gmac !  I am very lucky that I was your draw, and hope that I can someday return the favor.  I am also into craft beer and would love to do a beer exchange sometime. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    nlovold said:
    I received my care package yesterday and after several hours of anticipation at work, I was finally able to get home and open last night.  Thank you very much to @gmac for the wonderful note and goods from Canada.  This was just in time for Canada Day celebration tomorrow!  You bet I will be tapping into those beverages tomorrow!  

Having visited Canada many times, I got a big kick out of your selections and truly appreciate your generosity.  My daughter listened to the Celine Dion CD last night, so even that was a win!  

My son and I used the Habanero sauce on some tacos last night and really enjoyed it.  The Saskatoon Berry syrup looks very interesting, and we might have to incorporate that into a pancake breakfast very soon.  I can't wait to try the Newfoundland Screech Rum Sauce and Veggie Blaze rub!  You gave me a ton of options with the stuff you included, so I'm still trying to process all the combinations!

Excellent work @gmac !  I am very lucky that I was your draw, and hope that I can someday return the favor.  I am also into craft beer and would love to do a beer exchange sometime. 

Incredible job @gmac
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....