Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: any "cant miss" menu orders in San.Fran or Napa?

2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited June 2015
    NDG said:
    THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU!  We will not be doing French Laundry . . but it is on my bucket list.  

I have printed the suggestions and will try to set some stuff up.  My sister just sent an agenda . . . the two I am PUMPED for are:
    • Ad Hoc (6476 Washington St, Yountville) . . a Thomas Keller restaurant 
    • Hog Island Oyster Farm tour & lunch . . . (shuck & eat in water)
    Aint Travel Da Best?

hog island may be the best thing you eat all week. We never miss it. They have one in Napa inside Oxbow Market and there is one in the city at the ferry building next to slanted door. slanted door is awesome but as mentioned above- super loud and busy. Lots of fun though. if you spend time in the city they have a killer farmer's market at the ferry building. We always stop there and then go inside and hit up the Fatted Calf for charcuterie, Cowgirl Creamery for some cheese and Acme Bread for some sourdough. We throw all that in a cooler for wine country picnics. The grocery store in the Ferry Bldg sells SRF beef and pork at the meat counter if you are staying in place you can cook.

all the restaurant suggestions above are really good. You'll never hit them all in one week but I've eaten at many of them and you are getting good advice.

Rutherford grill in Napa is great. just an FYI- we like Sonoma way more than Napa. Get over there if you can. Little more laid back and less of the private jet/fake castle winery crowd.  Sounds like you are in good hands but I have some good winery suggestions all through there if you are looking for good spots. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    +1 on Sonoma vs Napa
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    The Cen-Tex Smoker.  My sis says the same thing about napa V sonoma, we will see both.  She has us hooked up with wine tastings . . . She was lucky enough (or smart enough I should say) to do a Harvest with Opus One last year.  Now her connections now are top notch.  I know we are doing tour our Opus, Frogs Leap & Scharmsberg.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker.  My sis says the same thing about napa V sonoma, we will see both.  She has us hooked up with wine tastings . . . She was lucky enough (or smart enough I should say) to do a Harvest with Opus One last year.  Now her connections now are top notch.  I know we are doing tour our Opus, Frogs Leap & Scharmsberg.
    Schramsburg is awesome. The only thing I don't like is it's appointment only and pay in advance ($50 per person). We've missed it twice because we were having fun somewhere else and didn't want to uproot. Their bubbly is among my favorites though.

Frog's leap is a really nice property and if it's not too crowded is a cool place. Haven't done Opus.

I'm much more in to smaller wineries and vinyards; The sight of a tour bus pulling up with drunk bachelorettes spilling out taking selfies makes my skin crawl.

There is always a VIP option at the big places which will shield you from the savages. Sounds like your sister may have some good connections and that would make for a very fun few days.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Try Von Strasser, great cave, great wine and try and meet the owner/winemaker. He studied and developed his craft working directly for Rothschild in France. His place is small, and it is black diamond mountain. Cool dude, quality and from the place where 200-300 USD wine are the norm, his are about 1/4-1/3 the cost and equal or better in quality.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    I have to travel to Napa and Sonoma frequently for business, one more to try is  Sequoia Grove. try the cab franc. killer. On the main drag not too far from Opus One. Worth the stop.  

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon said:
    I have to travel to Napa and Sonoma frequently for business, one more to try is  Sequoia Grove. try the cab franc. killer. On the main drag not too far from Opus One. Worth the stop.  
    Me too. Hard work but someone's gotta do it :)

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    One thing to be aware of if you plan on going to Sonoma is the schedule at Infineon race track.  Nascar will be there in August, but they host other events too.. and that makes highway 37 ATROCIOUS.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon said:
    Me too. Hard work but someone's gotta do it :)

I thrust myself on that sword willingly, without any delay. ;)

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    BYS1981 said:
    One thing to be aware of if you plan on going to Sonoma is the schedule at Infineon race track.  Nascar will be there in August, but they host other events too.. and that makes highway 37 ATROCIOUS.
    Point of order... it hasn't been called Infineon for a few years... it's now Sonoma Raceway (wish they woulda gone back to the Sears Point name)
    +++AND+++
    This years NASCAR race is in 2 weeks (June 28th)
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • If your in SF my favorite go-to is House of Prime Rib!   If your a carnivore go here!  Won't be disappointed, the sides (cream spinach, corn bread, and Yorkshire pudding) are all hella good.  The prime rib is the best and if your not full you can get another (thinner slice) for free!  
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137
    Wherever you are in SF, try some Blue Bottle Coffee. You'll see signs for it at various coffee houses all over town. 
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Bouchon over The French Laundry.  Same high end eats with a more reasonable price.  Spend your money at Gary Danko,  nothing better.  Also, in SF, Tyler Florence's Wayfare Tavern.  Best (and I live in GA) damn fried chicken I've ever had!  Oh yeah, and then the cheese popovers!  Avoid the Guy Fieri places.  I think he's great but his restaurants aren't special.  Good luck!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    Try mustard's in napa. Very cool place killer menu, everything is fresh from the garden, and the farm.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • UncleFred said:
    BYS1981 said:
    Point of order... it hasn't been called Infineon for a few years... it's now Sonoma Raceway (wish they woulda gone back to the Sears Point name)
    +++AND+++
    This years NASCAR race is in 2 weeks (June 28th)
    Ahhh Sears Point... the roller coaster on two wheels.
    Gittin' there...
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The cliff house has stunning views of the pacific and the entrance to the bay. As others have stated, Chinatown is the one and only in SF. Congrats and enjoy.