Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf?

Options
dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
When you folks cook meat loaf in your Eggs what sort of pan do you use? Was thinking about grabbing some cheapo aluminum dollar store ones and cutting them down some....and perhaps cutting a few holes on the bottom to let the grease escape....

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    +1^^^ I'm interested as well.  

I was thinking of using a stainless weber vegi tray - the one with the holes in it.
    Phoenix 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    When you folks cook meat loaf in your Eggs what sort of pan do you use? 
    To each his own, but I do not use a pan. I lay down a single layer of aluminum foil on the grid and simply sit the meatloaf on the foil. Works like a charm and you get smoke to 3/4 of the loaf. Only the very bottom is not exposed to the smoke due to the foil.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    But with the above said, if I was going to use a pan I would use one of the disposable aluminum pans. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Try one of these. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    None ,Directly on the grill !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I've seen threads posted on this forum where people use this pan: http://www.brinkmann.net/outdoor_cooking/grilling_accessories/outdoor_cooking_accessories/details.aspx?item=400-0073-0

The wire mesh alows the smoke to penetrate the meatloaf from all sides.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    I've seen threads posted on this forum where people use this pan: http://www.brinkmann.net/outdoor_cooking/grilling_accessories/outdoor_cooking_accessories/details.aspx?item=400-0073-0

That is what I use. The meat cooks great in these.

Downside: It can be difficult to get the meat out of the basket without breaking it up. I run a knife along the edges to help release it. I think I might try putting some parchment paper on the bottom to make releasing the loaf a little easier.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    I use the mesh basket too.  Works great.
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    We cook meatloaf on a plank. Also makes for a great presentation.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    I got one of these Lodge pans.  Never got around to using it for meatloaf though, but I can tell ya it's great for cornbread!
    httpswwwlehmanscomimagesproductlarge4668jpg

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Vegas Eggus
    Vegas Eggus Posts: 152
    Options
    Cook mine right on the grill. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fljoemon said:

That is what I use. The meat cooks great in these.

Downside: It can be difficult to get the meat out of the basket without breaking it up. I run a knife along the edges to help release it. I think I might try putting some parchment paper on the bottom to make releasing the loaf a little easier.

The Brinkman basket is what I have used for several years! It provides for 6 sided smoking at its best plus the grease runs out rather than pooling in the bottom. The secret I have found is using a raw egg plus .5 cup of panko bread crumbs in my meatloaf mix. Those two combined give my loaf the ability to stick together much better like a brick rather than an ozzing spreading glob! LOL. Also I make my loaf outside of the basket itself on a small flat cutting board. That way I can form it, plus coat all 6 sides with a rub for added goodness! Then  I can place the basket on top of the formed "brick" upside down and carefully holding the board and basket do a quick flip over which leaves the loaf in the basket without even touching the sides or ends! Even if the flip doesn't work the first time the loaf stays in tact and can be shaken into place easily. Top the loaf with some raw bacon and man-oh-man that is comfort food that can be sliced with ease and stays together. If you want the recipe I use just holler! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Straight on the grid, indirect with drip pan under.  Take it to 155º internal at about 400º egg temp.  Nice crispy crust, juicy inside. Spectacular.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Kylec
    Kylec Posts: 8
    Options
    I use a lodge CI skillet
  • dougcrann
    Options
    Apologies,  I completely forgot about this. Been getting pulled in 8 directions at once lately. Thanks for the tips. I forgot that I have one of these 
    http://www.amazenproducts.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=QMATZ
    that I use in the Egg at times. Made the meatloaf last night, bacon, onions, jalapeño, cheese, bread crumbs and a healthy dose of my rub. Rub is kinda zesty. And a bit of BBQ sauce. Ernestina, my loving wife, doesn't think it is going to stay together.  The meat I used was a mix of ground chuck/pork. The chuck was from the roll I sliced & diced without Ernies help. Last one we did together she pulled damn near every ounce of fat she found out of the grinding portion.  When we tried to make burgers from it they just fell apart. I am hoping that between the bread crumbs and the fat in the meat it stays together.  She also voiced her opinion on the grease causing troubles,  but with it just going to be sitting on the Q-mat I don't think it will be.  
    Going to be going 225* on top of the place setter,  any questions as to a time? The beef/pork  portion was a pound.
    Again, I do apologize for not checking back.
    Thanks... 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I just used a shallow roasting rack.  

Once I formed it I put it in the freezer for a little while to help hold the shape. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I use aloof pan lined with plastic wrap, drop three strips of bacon in it, pile in the meat loaf, then wrapping the plastic over the side of the pan, invert it over the grid and, plop, it drops right out... indirect at 350-400º and away you go - don't forget a drip pan. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dougcrann
    Options
    The Q-mat I mentioned above worked great. 225 for a couple hours. Was very tasty. Wife requested a Mexican meatloaf.  Pato sauce, cilantro, oregano, green onions,  onion, jalapeños,  a small amount of her Chorizo,  debating on some of her Spanish rice, some smoked Pepperjack.....
    Neither one of us was a fan of meatloaf. Looks like yesterday may have changed that. 
  • iCurevegans
    iCurevegans Posts: 19
    Options
    I prefer it right on the grid.

"They may look like gentle, fruit-eating monkeys, but I'm pretty convinced one of these things is gonna suddenly land on my head and start humping my earhole with his sharp, furry penis, so I'm little uncomfortable."
    -Anthony Bourdain

Zionsville, IN
    LBGE, MM
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    I do just tin foil.
    Try some meatball mix from a local butcher or do a 2# Italian sausage / 1# chuck combo. Both are yummy! any combo will be good.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI