Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm joining the party!

I have coveted BGEs for a while now. My wife has just green-lighted my purchase of one. Next weekend, I'm picking up an XL, plate setter, and nest. To say that I feel like a kid at Christmas is an understatement. :)

Now, I'm looking for some low and slow recipes for the first few cooks until the gasket sets.  I'm thinking beer can chicken for the first fire.

I'm pumped!  :)
South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 

Comments

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Go spatchcocked..you'll never go back to bcc...promise

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• AUCE
    Congrats and welcome to the insanity!

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    Fantastic news and welcome..You are going to have so much fun..Don't forget to stock up with adult beverages for the low and slows..Looking forward to having you around. Have a great Sunday.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    I might do that. I just watched a video on how to do it. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
     First, welcome aboard I'm sure many of the more experienced egg folk on here will comment and give you sound advice, as they have for me. Spatchcock chickens are way more popular than beer can make sure to Google it if you're not sure what to do.  Essentially you just remove the backbone so that it lays flat on a raised direct set up. Next, make sure to buy plenty of additional lump as you will soon only be cooking outside. Don't worry about going low and slow for too long the felt gasket that your XL will come with is not very good.  Contact @RRP to  get an upgrade.  Finally sit back and enjoy, it's a great hobby 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Welcome!

Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Sounds like fun...I'll also join the party in late June with two LBGE's...and an Italian wood fired pizza oven...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  A game changer for sure.
    What follows may be of use (or not):

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section (spatchcock chix is there) for some great ideas. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm .

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/  Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run. 

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough for now.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    lousubcap said:
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  A game changer for sure.
    What follows may be of use (or not):

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section (spatchcock chix is there) for some great ideas. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm .

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/  Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run. 

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough for now.

Great info right here, you are going to love meals off the BGE!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Welcome and enjoy the insanity. You got the right idea, start with lower cost meats til you somewhat master the fire control. Once you figure out the fire control, it's all down hill. 
  • SmokingPiney
    Thanks for the links and advice, lousubcap. I'm going to figure out basic "egging" before I dive into aftermarket goodies. 
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Welcome. I suggest you start your bge contra fund ASAP. Your goin to need
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome. @lousubcap has the some great info on the basics - if you are coming from a briquette world, remember in a kamado only a portion of the lump is burning, light from the top near the front. the fire will follow the air down through the fuel. Mix smoke wood throughout the lump and you do not need to soak it. If you are looking, you are not cooking, keep the dome closed and when you open it burp it, burp it, burp it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • AUCE
    I might do that. I just watched a video on how to do it. 
    Piece of cake.....juicey juicey

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Welcome, enjoy the lifestyle that is egging!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SmokingPiney
    This forum is dangerous!  Just reading through threads and viewing the pics and its all I can do to keep from drooling on my keyboard!  :)
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Welcome aboard and enjoy!!!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    This forum is dangerous!  Just reading through threads and viewing the pics and its all I can do to keep from drooling on my keyboard!  :)
    One of the things I have gained by reading posts from the forum.. Is I find myself drawing inspiration and ideas for cooks as I do grocery shopping.There are great ideas that come from a great bunch of folks..Once again welcome.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Welcome to the cult!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Welcome 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Thanks for the links and advice, lousubcap. I'm going to figure out basic "egging" before I dive into aftermarket goodies. 
    Out of curiosity why the xl?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokingPiney
    henapple said:
    Out of curiosity why the xl?
    I wanted a larger cooking surface. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    They'll also spend your money faster than you can say ceramic grill store. 

Good idea. Keep telling yourself that right up to when you buy your second egg. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Welcome. Lock up your wallet....
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Welcome!
    McKinney, TX
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Spatchcock and Butt. 

Go ahead with a Beer Can but I think you'll find Spatch is easier, less mess and a fine result. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566

Welcome aboard @smokingpiney

Are you South Jersey?

• Welcome aboard. You found the right spot. The good captain has provided some great information for you to help you get started. That should send you down enough rabbit holes to keep you busy for a while. We're always glad to help so dig in and have fun. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokingPiney

Welcome aboard @smokingpiney

Are you South Jersey?

Thanks! Yes I am South Jersey. 
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Are you on firewood hoarders?