Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackstone fans

Options
First time I've fired up the Blackstone since fall, was worth the wait.  This thing is amazing, a 15 minute preheat & it was at a sufficient temp to bake each of these pies in 2 minutes.

Here's about 30 seconds worth of video of the last pie I did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59bDHMEzLMs

First up was cherry smoked sausage. Here's how I do it. Begin with this:

Build one of these:

Smoke it hot until it looks like this:

Then give it a little sear:

Then plastic wrap it overnight to develop the flavor:

One pound sliced into 3 sections makes enought for 3 pies:

Slice it thin, top the pie & onto the Blackstone for all of two minutes:

Bottom came out real nice:

Made a plain too:

Inside & ready to slice:

Finally a fresh mozzarella, tomato & prosciutto:

Damn tasty:

I still haven't fired up my egg for a pizza since getting the Blackstone; if anyone is on the fence about picking one of these up it's a no-brainer.

happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice! I need to do pizza again soon.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Marc, you do nice work! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    Nice looking pies. I love my blackstone.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The pizza magician speaks and cooks - nice to see your great work. (still use your dough recipe)
    When I first saw the topic, I thought it was about one of my favourite First Nations TV shows!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    I love my blackstone--I use it about once a week. I picked it up for about $250 on clearance at lowes last summer.  
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Man that is cool. I need to look up the black stone as much pizza as my son requests
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Fantastic work, love the smoked sausage idea. Thanks for sharing 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    I love my blackstone--I use it about once a week. I picked it up for about $250 on clearance at lowes last summer.  
    Picked mine up in October on sale too, what a great deal.

Chubbs said:
    Man that is cool. I need to look up the black stone as much pizza as my son requests

Yes, yes you do.  Besides the simple reality that it produces a better pie which is reason alone to justify the expense, out of curiosity I took a look at the cost effectiveness of its use vs. lump.  Before I bought one from a common sense standpoint it seemed like it'd be cheaper given the far shorter preheat times plus the instantaneous shutoff ability but I wasn't sure about the price of propane vs. lump/# of cooks...  so far I've done 10 batches (3 pies/batch) on one $20 tank of propane & it feels like it still has a good bit left in it.  For $20 I can usually get 3 - 10lb bags of either Royal Oak or Wegmans lump & maybe get 3 batches of pie per bag.  Concluded that it has a significantly lower cost of operation.  Basically a win win
    happy in the hut
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Zippy, where do you park that bad boy? I'd imagine it doesn't stand up to the elements like an egg. Do you move it every time you use it?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Zippy, where do you park that bad boy? I'd imagine it doesn't stand up to the elements like an egg. Do you move it every time you use it?
    I was about to ask the same thing. I know they make a cover for it---but right now I keep mine in the garage and just raise the door for a cook. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    I would also like to know how it handles the elements out side. I know they make a cover for it but wonder how well it's made.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Zippylip
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    It's on my porch right outside the kitchen door, & I agree it probably wouldn't do well in the elements.  Over the winter I put it in the garage; there was a time I baked all winter long on the egg but I gave that up, too cold out so I spend the winter baking deep dish & Sicilian pies in the oven. 

happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    here's an alternate view, the porch is the new pizza kitchen & if you look through you can make out the eggs & kettles in the hut, the bbq-atorium

httpswebmailcomcastnetservicehomeauthcolocen_USid364231part2

httpswebmailcomcastnetservicehomeauthcolocen_USid364232part2

happy in the hut