Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

12 Hours of Pork

My wife asked me to make pulled pork for 30 people coming the house for a shower this Sunday. I'd never done a cook anywhere near that large before so I was excited to try. On Friday I went to a great local butcher outside of Boston, MF Dulocks, and asked how much shoulder I'd need. We settled on 25 pounds. My plan was to wake up at 4AM and put them on at 5AM for a 2PM meal. I thought I'd even have a little extra time for FTC at that hour. Luckily my daughter came into the room at 2AM and woke me up so I figured what the hell, I'll just get started. Two 12# butts went on at about 2:45 and came between 2PM and 3PM at about 190 internal. I went FTC for 20 minutes and then pulled them apart. I'd have gone right to 195 if I could have but they I had to feed the folks. I had three native North Carolinans in the house (Granted they were from Wilmington, but still) who were very impressed. 

I had plenty of lump left over to cook a few chickens once the pork came off. It was one of the best cooks ever and on our first real spring day of the year here in Boston it was great to drink beers and sit by the egg all day.

LBGE, CGW Swing Rack, Baking Steel. Mini-Max on the way. 

Boston MA

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Love hearing BGE success stories ... definitely a confidence builder.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Great cook - but I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed.   From the title, I was hoping there was going to be some kind of eating event I could enter with @SGH.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Well @Foghorn it turned into a bit of a drinking event. 
    LBGE, CGW Swing Rack, Baking Steel. Mini-Max on the way. 

Boston MA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    Well @Foghorn it turned into a bit of a drinking event. 

That's good too.  I would have been up for that.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Foghorn said:
    I was hoping there was going to be some kind of eating event I could enter with @SGH.
    I like how you think brother!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.