Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the BGE accessory you regret purchasing the most?

Options
Just curious with so many wise BGE vets on here, what is the one thing you bought for the Egg you regret the most. I don't have a ton of accessories but I did buy a cheapo "grill extender" that is giving me exactly what I paid for. It works but it's not really all that great. Below is a pic of it in action. It works but slides around a lot and is actually set up to be reversed from what it is now. Technically I have it upside down. Probably buyer mistake but I regret buying it and am looking to replace soon.
Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

Comments

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    The Slider rack, mine went in the trash finally
    Gambrills,Maryland

• damnedhooligan
    Options

This! After getting the thermapen, I never used this thermometer again.

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Just curious with so many wise BGE vets on here, what is the one thing you bought for the Egg you regret the most. I don't have a ton of accessories but I did buy a cheapo "grill extender" that is giving me exactly what I paid for. It works but it's not really all that great. Below is a pic of it in action. It works but slides around a lot and is actually set up to be reversed from what it is now. Technically I have it upside down. Probably buyer mistake but I regret buying it and am looking to replace soon.
    Who told you that it is upside down?  You're misinformed if so.  

Guess it isn't for all folks, but I use my grill extender all the time with no issues.  I sit mine up against the rear of the Egg so that all three legs are resting on grid/grate.  

This is from Amazon where you can buy this...

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a grill extender like that and for my MBGE it is the best accessory I have, made by Grill Dome. For two of us it provides a raised direct, do a yardbird or whatever and it sits securely on the fire ring. Best use is for reverse sear, again, for a small cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think the one @jonnymack has was meant to be used like a spider.  It can hang upside down from the standard fire ring.  The one @tarheelmatt has is the extender.  I looked into these at one time. 

For me it was probably the 3 tier rack.  It works ok for things like wings but the post in the center is usually in the way.  I don't think I have used it in over a year. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @jonnymack I agree with @tarheelmatt . I have the same extender(I think it's a grill dome accessory) from when I had my medium egg. There wasn't anything else available at the time I had it so this worked great. The way you have it positioned is the proper way. I flip it too for low searing as it will rest on the fire ring.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Another vote for BGE's 3 tier rack for the LBGE.  It's been off-line for almost four years now. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    cast iron grid, way over rated in the egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I think the one @jonnymack has was meant to be used like a spider.  It can hang upside down from the standard fire ring.  The one @tarheelmatt has is the extender.  I looked into these at one time. 

For me it was probably the 3 tier rack.  It works ok for things like wings but the post in the center is usually in the way.  I don't think I have used it in over a year. 
    Everything I gather and read they look the same to me.  I did a search for another type extender and found nothing.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    I originally bought a plate setter and BGE grid expander, but due to the collective recommendation of the contributors here they were returned for an adjustable rig. No major regrets, though I did throw out my wire grill brush based on stories of people needing operations to remove metal brush needles from their throats. *Shudder*
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Spider and 13" CI Grate (Large Egg) 

Only used a couple times. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    Plate setter with the CGW 2 tier swing grid. I wish I would have went with the AR
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    big bag of cowboy lump
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Easy: Platesetter and the Egg Cookbook
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Once I got the A/R, I have never used the platesetter since. I didn't know any better when I bought the first Egg and used the hell out of the platesetter so I don't necessarily regret it but I sure don't need it anymore.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options

Everything I gather and read they look the same to me.  I did a search for another type extender and found nothing.  
    Yeah it's meant to be used hanging from the fire ring. Wasn't sold like that online and the way I can tell is the bars running across the grill are on the top of the grill when I have it set up as an extender. Makes it hard to use for bigger items so I generally limit it's use to wings.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    PS for me as well. Just collected dust after I got my AR. I recently purchased another Lg Egg, and have ordered a WOO2 from CGS, so I guess my PS will be back in the game. 
    GWN
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    BGE table way over priced for what it is and would have preferred to build my own.  I never bought it though my wife did without telling me.  
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I have two, but both were small investments:
    1) beer can chicken stand . . just stupid  
    2) fire wire . . ok but very hard to flip for 2nd side sear
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

I think it is this indirect rack.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• islanderegger
    Options
    The Looftlighter sits on a shelf after I found out about veg. oil and paper towel.
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    Question for those who don't use the PS. Do you make pizza? If so, what set up do you use? We make a lot of pizzas, and my set up is PS legs up, grid, and pizza stone on grid. It seems to work well, but I've already had a PS crack, and if the second one goes, I'd like to look at other options. Thanks!
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Platesetter.   Got a AR a month after I got the Egg and never used the PS since.  its sitting in the shed somewhere.

Garnerville, NY
  • Wooly Swampman
    Options
    platesetter. AR is the way to go.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

I think it is this indirect rack.
    Yep, I believe you're correct Sir!  Looked just like the one I have, but I assume those risers are spread out farther to act as a spider.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Plate setter, the AR is a much better option.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    A special fire ring that is only 2" tall. It was a short term solution for a BGE design flaw. I bought it with the idea I could shoehorn a 28# turkey in my large by having more dome space. It worked BUT I only used it once! I still have it but I would rather have the $40 I paid for it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    cast iron grid, way over rated in the egg
    Well, to each his own, but I really hate the stock stainless steel grid.  I love the CI grill.  My only regret is paying too much for a BGE green DigiQ, by BBQ Guru.  If I had known I could buy a red one that doesn't say "Big Green Egg" on it for $50 less, I would have bought the red one.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    I don't really have anything I don't use or think is junk.  I try to think my purchases carefully, however I have wanted a CI grid for sometime though.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Backyard Mike
    Options
    Worst - crappy lump from Home Depot.

Best - Adjustable Rig with sliding shelves.  Stoker.  

Thought about making a table, but read on here about people burning their house down so that idea is "tabled" for now.  The table that burns your house down would probably be the all-time worst accessory.