Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hamburger Help???

Options
i should know this, but I don't so I ask for help. @ what temp do you pull your burgers to have some pink inside?  I know 160 is the norm, but I need some pink...I seem to overcook mine everytime, they are good but I think they could be better. 

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Hi, I don't have an answer for you, but what I do have is a joke I once heard .. It goes as follows ' You can't help hamburger unless hamburger WANTS to be helped' ... Ok, I guess you had to be there. lol
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    My advice is to always consider the carry over effect. So if your pullin at 160 its probably closer to 165 or higher. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Fouker187
    Options
    Pullin your meat can be dangerous
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I'm not sure pink and a certain temp is a simple answer @Lowflyer. Here's an article with pics. My wife likes hers well done and I've pulled at 170° to find it still had pink. My wife will eat unsafe meat as long as it's brown. If it's got just a slight bit of pinkness, she's not eating it. Temperature means nothing to her. 
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/blog/nutrition/2012/05/how_to_avoid_bbq_blunders.html
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    Hey Lowflyer - actually i'm not too sure the tempurate myself, as I've yet to really hit them perfectly.  I'm still trying to get it right IMHO.  I usually plan to pull around 135, however to be honest, i usually go over (in direct proportion to how many beverages I may or may not have had.... odd that....).

My plan is usually cook around 500, 60 seconds, turn, 60 seconds, flip, 60 seconds, turn 60 seconds, and pull.

When I'm standing over the egg, with a watch and timing everything, I end up with fairly 'medium rare' burgers.  when I've slipped up a touch, usually with friends, alcohol and other bad habbits - i usually pull and just barely save them from a well done fate.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    It depends on two things:  If I cut the meat from tenderloin tail and grind myself, then I will pull at 130ish, carry over will still be under 140.  
    Pre-bought I will cook to 165-180.  
    If you like yours pink then I would pull at between 145 and 155.  

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Here's what I do. Almost never fails to a M to MR. 

Fresh Ground Chuck w/ Dizzy Cow Lick (like a salt and pepper shake worth)
    1/3 Lb. Patties ( I order 1.3 lbs to make 4 when cooking burgers) 
    450 dome temp
    Standard Grate Height
    Burgers close to Room Temperature before placing on Egg
    4:00 to 4:30 a side (use iPhone Timer)
    I've never taken a Burger temp in all my days of grilling from Weber to Egg
    New Albany, Ohio 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Lowflyer  how are you cooking them?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Another factor I feel that makes a difference is the fat content in the grind.  Leaner hamburger meat can overshoot on temp easier than fattier.  Because SWMBO will buy 90 or even 93 percent lean burger meat and expect a medium done burger, really puts me to the test.  So for lean burgers, I go raised direct at a lower temp and sort of roast them, so as not to overshoot medium.  Not much crust on these type of burgers.  Mind you these are the thicker pub style burgers, not thin diner style.  If get fattier meat, you can go higher on the temps and get some nice crust on them.  I rotate continually and move them around to get on the clean part of the grate to maximize char. I want to try diner style next time and cook them on a cast iron pan.  
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    the thermapen ruined burgers for me, just say no to the thermapen  =) i went back to my old ways, hot grill, wait for juice to puddle up on top of burger, flip burger, wait for juice to puddle up on burger, add cheese for a few seconds and off the grill. i like a large thinner burger with good charring, to get this 450 min grill temp and i slip the burgers into the freezer for 15/20 minutes before grill time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Hi, I don't have an answer for you, but what I do have is a joke I once heard .. It goes as follows ' You can't help hamburger unless hamburger WANTS to be helped' ... Ok, I guess you had to be there. lol
    I presume the joke is in reference to the ubiquitous box of Hamburger Helper.

As I had to get the MSG out of our food (wife reacts badly to it), I now make "Hamburger Helpless" on occassion.  Make it the same as Hamburger helper, but using my own noodles, spices, can o tomato sauce etc.  You can find recipes online for DIY "HH" and then modify to your own preferences like I do.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Here's what I do. Almost never fails to a M to MR. 

Fresh Ground Chuck w/ Dizzy Cow Lick (like a salt and pepper shake worth)
    1/3 Lb. Patties ( I order 1.3 lbs to make 4 when cooking burgers) 
    450 dome temp
    Standard Grate Height
    Burgers close to Room Temperature before placing on Egg
    4:00 to 4:30 a side (use iPhone Timer)
    I've never taken a Burger temp in all my days of grilling from Weber to Egg
    I agree about taking a temp with the burgers.   @THEBuckeye, is right on time and temp per side.  If you go hotter your time will be less.  I can usually tell by how much juice is coming out of the meat.  The MI like hers red so they are only on for about a minute or a 2 per side at 600.  I like cooking them hot and fast.  If you want to check the tempo and are shooting for medium, I would around 135 to 140.  Check out Youtube, there are all kinds of videos on cooking burgers on the egg.  Good luck and happy egging. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • UncleFred
    Options
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It depends on two things:  If I cut the meat from tenderloin tail and grind myself, then I will pull at 130ish, carry over will still be under 140.  
    Pre-bought I will cook to 165-180.  
    If you like yours pink then I would pull at between 145 and 155.  

This. If I grind myself, I treat it like I would a steak in terms of temp and pull at medium rare. If it's store-bought, I add extra moisture in the way of Worcestershire sauce and dehydrated onions. My local grocer grinds up strip steak on the weekends and it has become my go-to. I can take it to 180 and they are still pour-down-the-chin juicy. It must be an 80/20 or 75/25 grind. 
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. Going to have to keep practicing. 
    @ henapple, 350-375 dome, flip when juices rise, usually put cheese on at 150ish and melt. They turn out great, just seems I leave on too long. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Lowflyer. .where are you located? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @henapple I'm in Canton/Holly Springs Ga. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I have always tested the firmness of the burger with the corner of the spatula. I've been cooking them for so long I just go off of feel. Never used a thermometer 
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've been doing 4 oz burgers from ground sirloin via raised grid on my Mini in a "reverse sear"..

350'ish for 4 - 4 1/2 min per side.  Remove at ~140.  Let rest a couple of minutes while you get a CI griddle smoking hot.  (I do mine inside on the gas cooktop as the burgers have already gotten plenty smoky on the BGE by this point).  Cook on CI for about 45 sec - 1 min per side to get Malliard reaction browning.  Remove.  Rest for a couple and serve.

These are the BEST burgers I've ever had, bar none.  They were just a "barely" bit pink inside (we like medium plus generally) but soft and melt in your mouth goodness.

I think the key is reverse sear to 140 or so, 1 min or so "nuclear" hot on a CI grill..

YMMV.

Good luck!

Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)