Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Chops, Potatoes & Asparagus

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Work has been keeping me busy for the past few weeks, finally was going to be home with some time to cook. I asked my wife to get pork chops out of the freezer yesterday. Seasoned 3 of the them with SPOG and the other with Tony C's. Started out indirect above some spuds that were already there for about 45 minutes. Temps around 275*.

I had setup the spider below the plate setter and borrowed a cooking grid from my unused gasser.
Once the chops were 130* I pulled them off and let them rest while things heated up.

During the heat up I grilled the asparagus.

I lost a few to the gods of lump...
Once that was done I had an OK fire going. This was on leftover lump and I could have used a bit more. On to searing the chops.

Nice and juicy...

And a weak attempt at a plated pic. I need better lighting in the kitchen...

And you can see a bit of my princess' face behind the plate. She turns 13 tomorrow. For each of our kids birthdays we invite my parents, and my brother and sister's families. Good times to get together and make sure the kids grow up knowing their cousins. Anyway, initially she requested pizza for her get together. She changed her mind to brisket last weekend. And she got rather specific about the brisket...Snake River Farms. She doesn't know it yet, but look what arrived today.

Only doing one for the party, the other is tucked in the freezer until another future special occasion.

The party is next weekend due to the grandparents currently on vacation. I'm giving her a card tonight that has the packing list from the briskets tucked inside. :smiley: I can't wait to see her reaction.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Very cool. Is this the one that's newly minted teen?  My oldest turned 13 two weeks ago. What did he want?  STEAK!  Seems we're both doing something right. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Nice looking meal, and the one to come is not too shabby either. Wish that young lady of your's all the best and good on you to keep her in touch with family, I was an Army brat and never really got to know my cousins. Talk to them now I'm retired more than I ever did when I was younger. 
    We were going down the same road as you did for supper until my 8 year old granddaughter asked for pork cutlets instead. No egg tonight. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Good cook ... especially cooking the asparagus commando style.

I see a temp probe on every chop.  Do you do that 'cuz you pull at different temps for different folks?  If you're pulling at the same temp, how much difference in time do you see?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DMW
    Options
    Good cook ... especially cooking the asparagus commando style.

I see a temp probe on every chop.  Do you do that 'cuz you pull at different temps for different folks?  If you're pulling at the same temp, how much difference in time do you see?
    They were different thicknesses, so cooked at slightly different rates. Plus I had the probes out, so I used them all.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm doing chops, potatoes and asparagus too. Must be that kind of night. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Nice cook and I guess I can say  "great training" when you get your to-be 13 year-old daughter to request SRF.  What a way to keep the freezer stocked with those briskets.  Nicely played.  And enjoy that banquet as I know you will.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice job, pork looks cooked right!

We're doing tortilla soup tonight.  I'm doing some experimentation with sour breads, think I'll throw my science experiment in the oven and see what shakes out.  Have some new pizza dough fermenting....promising recipe - half Tipo, half regular flour, very little yeast, long, cold fermentation.
    Options
    Nice cook! Weber Summit cooking grid?
  • DMW
    Options
    @nolaegghead - Let us know how your science experiment turns out, both the bread and pizza dough. I need to bake bread to take to a wine/cheese party Saturday night. I don't have a starter going, so the best I'll do is a biga or poolish. I'm thinking baguettes, just haven't decided on the dough yet.

@pgprescott - I think that might be what it is. I got it at Lowe's and can't recall for sure.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    That looks great.  I like the setup.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I love the pork chop searing rack idea. looks like it worked perfectly .

And you're raising a bbq snob. Your life is going to be hell, trying to keep up =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @DMW - It looks delicious, nice secondary fermentation, excellent oven spring, smells great.  I'll cut into it tomorrow.

I have cooked about 20 loaves since Jan 1st, and you really don't need a starter.  Do the no-knead in a dutch oven.  I'll send you a recipe.  I vary it based on my materials, oven, etc, but the best trick I've learned is to cook it until it's 200-205 inside.  Making the dough is easy.  I use the Thermapen.