Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nooooo!!!!!

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have been right there with you but  it was the top of my table that burned. Started with a grid brush that was touching the egg. I was t even home when it happened but my kids were. Nobody saw it. It burned itself out. Very fortunate it didn't burn my house down.  I shiver every time I see something like this. Ill never have a table again. I'm on an elevated deck and almost burned my house down once. I'm all nest, all the time. I may build a nice table to go between the 2 eggs but my eggs are staying in nests. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I am extending our concrete pad when I fence in the backyard so I can still have a wood table but it'll be 15' from the house. My table top caught just like Centex but no grate scraper it caught just from the transferred heat through the egg. Crazy scary.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lit said:
    I am extending our concrete pad when I fence in the backyard so I can still have a wood table but it'll be 15' from the house. My table top caught just like Centex but no grate scraper it caught just from the transferred heat through the egg. Crazy scary.
    I remember that. I got the chills just seeing how close this was to the house. Mine was close too but not quite as close. If we didn't have composite decking, that would have been all she wrote. 
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    I remember wanting a table setup for my egg, however after seeing these type of post too many times, I'll stick to my egg nest.

Glad it wasn't too serious.  Take care.
    I'm with you there.  Just get a side table or two if you need the workspace.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    bvanma28 said:
    http://www.gofundme.com/mvpakc
    Time to invest in a better setup for my egg. No doubt that I dodged a bullet. We were about to go to bed. 
    LOL $2,500? I think my table cost $150 to build 
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Scary stuff, this happened about a year ago on mine. I think I had spilled some oil(I had been deep frying in my wok). Noticed this a couple days later. I have since made more space all the way around.

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Glad to hear the damage wasn't any worse than that. I have to say that every time I read a thread like this it makes me feel better and better that my egg is 10+ feet away from my house in a nest on a concrete pad. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • JohnBKY
    Options
    Image result for i thought someone was barbecuing
    Louisville, KY
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DX2
    Adjustable Rig
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Time to get the egg off of my wooden deck.   Which means - Bye bye Egg

Garnerville, NY
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    WHAT? Crazy talk.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:  If we didn't have composite decking, that would have been all she wrote. 

Is composite fire-resistant?  I just had a composite deck put in two years ago and have always wondered about that.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Glad to hear the damage wasn't any worse than that. I have to say that every time I read a thread like this it makes me feel better and better that my egg is 10+ feet away from my house in a nest on a concrete pad. 
    Mine is too and now I am thinking of building a table or cabinets around the egg and not put the egg in the table unless it is made of stone or SS.  I don't like having the grill to close to the house.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    Seriously???  Are you on drugs?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    robnybbq said:
      Got some?????  j/k

After seeing a bunch of these fires and having a open fire on a wooded deck attached to our house is NOT a smart idea,  I have not done an overnight cook in over a year in half because of this (and I am craving a brisket).

I need to get the Egg off of the deck and away from the house.  Need to hire a moving company to come move the cart/table its in as that ways a ton.  Not going to put the Egg in the middle of the yard.  If I have to carry food up and down the stairs to use the Egg it wont get used.

I am thinking about getting rid of it - Have not used it in months.

Garnerville, NY
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    I hate to say this BUT fire tends to burn up not down. Looks like the Home Depot bucket is the ignition point. (Unless table pieces dropped in and ignited the bucket). 
    --smasch (18 yr fireman by trade)
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    smasch said:
    I hate to say this BUT fire tends to burn up not down. Looks like the Home Depot bucket is the ignition point. (Unless table pieces dropped in and ignited the bucket). 
    --smasch (18 yr fireman by trade)
    I noticed the same thing and quickly moved to the burnt wood dropped into the bucket theory as well. I have seen tables burnt using just the feet and many using a stone or both.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:  If we didn't have composite decking, that would have been all she wrote. 

Is composite fire-resistant?  I just had a composite deck put in two years ago and have always wondered about that.  
    I can't speak for all of them but mine is. It did melt a little but it didn't ignite. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I would think you are more likely to have house struck by lightning than the egg starting a fire.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options

I just ordered a table nest after reading this. I thought the paver it sits on now would be enough!

St. Johns County, Florida
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My Large is in a nest on a brick floor three feet from the house on the catwalk off the deck by the back mudroom door. (Get all that?)  It's close to the back deck stairs that I could push it down in a disaster. I have a teak storage bench on order. Sticking with the nest. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Blassiter
    Options

So thankful your house is alright.

When I built my table, I cut the hole about 3/8" larger all the way around because I was concerned about the heat transferring to the table. I also went overboard with the table nest sitting on top of paver. I hope and pray the combination of those things are enough.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would think you are more likely to have house struck by lightning than the egg starting a fire.  
    Not sure where you came up with that but like 10 people on here have had fires. Half of Little Steven's house burned down and somebody else had a lakehouse burn to the ground because the egg fell over while lit on the deck.  

I'm pretty sure bbq fires are fairly common.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    well- you aren't too far off actually

4400 house fires started by lightning and 8500 by bbq's. probably statistically equal in the scheme of things. I guess we are closer to it than most since we get to see everyone's pics and hear their stories.

My neighbor started her deck on fire with her gasser 2 years ago. we life 200 yds from FD so they were here in 3 minutes and put it out before it did too much 

• smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    Statistically I'm shocked the " human element" doesn't equate to more fires as it is what keeps fireman gainfully employed. 
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    robnybbq said:
      Got some?????  j/k

After seeing a bunch of these fires and having a open fire on a wooded deck attached to our house is NOT a smart idea,  I have not done an overnight cook in over a year in half because of this (and I am craving a brisket).

I need to get the Egg off of the deck and away from the house.  Need to hire a moving company to come move the cart/table its in as that ways a ton.  Not going to put the Egg in the middle of the yard.  If I have to carry food up and down the stairs to use the Egg it wont get used.

Stairs are good exercise.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My advise is use a nest or have a fireproof table....or far away from the house. I've got around $500 in my table. Ipe wood and slate tile. Ipe is expensive but has a concrete fire rating. Doesn't mean my house won't burn down but the odds go down.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I hate to see this happen. Get that egg on a table nest, re-band her and get back to cooking. Be careful folks. These threads scare the crap out of me. Im not saying im going to stop cooking on the egg though. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    For every BBQ grill/smoker that burns down a house, there are tens of grills and smokers that do not.
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The table nest is $30 well spent. I can stick my hand between the egg and table even at high temps. When I bought it my table was getting discolored under the paver in 4 months time. 
    I have had a custom nest before bge starting selling one.  It helps but I still have a dark spot developing under my large egg.  When I put my eggs back in the table, I'm going to use my nest and fire carpet (name) underneath it.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    robnybbq said:
      Got some?????  j/k

Stairs are good exercise.
    Don't get rid of it yet, I heard on a tech show that flying chairs might be coming out soon!