Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommendations for a low and slow prime rib roast?

Options
Just got the XL BGE, planning a smoked meal for my wedding reception, any help would be appreciated.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Welcome and congrats. Lots of threads around Christmas time you can search. Here is a pretty good one 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174053/whats-a-sure-fire-way-to-cook-a-prime-rib-and-have-success-on-my-xl/p1
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Thank you yolks! Appreciate it greatly.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    This link is awesome! Thanks again Yolks!!!!!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    @YukonRon I had previously just roasted rib roast and it came out good. But when I took to reverse searing after a low and slow, the meat was a whole new level in taste and presentation. The reverse sear might take a little longer but it is well worth it!
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Thank you Eggerty - I will try that. Appreciate the information greatly.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would not recommend using wood to add smoke. IMO the charcoal and rub is plenty flavor enough. The smoke will overwhelm what is an excellent and expensive cut of meat. If you want smoked meat, cook a brisket. 2 cents.
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Just got the XL BGE, planning a smoked meal for my wedding reception, any help would be appreciated.

Ron here is my recipe:  

http://grillingandsmoking.blogspot.com/2010/12/garlic-salt-and-pepper-crusted-prime.html

Ross  

• Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    agree with @pgprescott.  The meat is the star.  Usually season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and minced garlic.  I usually roll @225-250 for "roughly" 45min per lb. Pull at IT at 125 and let rest.  Open EGG up, during rest, to run up the heat. Sear each side for 1 min. knowing that you will gain roughly 7deg in IT from first pull. 

The great thing about reverse sear with a L&S is that you will have rare-med rare from edge to edge with a excellent exterior, doesn't matter the lb's of the roast.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. Nothing to add really. Use oak if some smoke is desirable. RW, OO or WGWW are good neural neutral lumps to use. BGE/RO tend to be smoke all by themselves. Congrats and I hope you knock it out of the park. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Eggerty said:
    agree with @pgprescott.  The meat is the star.  Usually season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and minced garlic.  I usually roll @225-250 for "roughly" 45min per lb. Pull at IT at 125 and let rest.  Open EGG up, during rest, to run up the heat. Sear each side for 1 min. knowing that you will gain roughly 7deg in IT from first pull. 

The great thing about reverse sear with a L&S is that you will have rare-med rare from edge to edge with a excellent exterior, doesn't matter the lb's of the roast.
    Welcome - I paste the outside as noted above with a 1:1 ratio EVOO and rub. Sometimes with rosemary and oregano. Rub the paste over the meat about 1-2 hours before hitting the grill. Low temp, 250ºF, indirect, no smoke wood.
    Good idea to put a grid under the setter. If it is CI, it will be smoking hot as it will get reflected heat from the setter, something between the setter and lower grid makes lifting the setter out of the egg easier. If you are doing for a larger crowd, suggest taking the bones off, makes for a super simple carve and when you tie the roast to make it round, the cook is more consistent. 1.5 to 2 hours will usually see an IT of 120-125. Does not matter how long the roast is, it is the thickness that determines the cooking time.
    Suggest resting on a rack with foil tent. The rack keeps the meat off the plate and reduces the juice loss. If you sear and then serve at medium rare, for those that like it a little more well done suggest a pot of au jus on a high simmer, 180-190ºF. Give the meat a bath for a minute or two to bring it up to medium or medium well. Good luck with not only the wedding reception, but the many happy years to follow!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Deviledegger
    Options
    Google- nibble me this and check out the recipe for prime rib and au jus.  I love going on this website for info as well as the egghead forum. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Eggerty said:

Welcome - I paste the outside as noted above with a 1:1 ratio EVOO and rub. Sometimes with rosemary and oregano. Rub the paste over the meat about 1-2 hours before hitting the grill. Low temp, 250ºF, indirect, no smoke wood.
    Good idea to put a grid under the setter. If it is CI, it will be smoking hot as it will get reflected heat from the setter, something between the setter and lower grid makes lifting the setter out of the egg easier. If you are doing for a larger crowd, suggest taking the bones off, makes for a super simple carve and when you tie the roast to make it round, the cook is more consistent. 1.5 to 2 hours will usually see an IT of 120-125. Does not matter how long the roast is, it is the thickness that determines the cooking time.
    Suggest resting on a rack with foil tent. The rack keeps the meat off the plate and reduces the juice loss. If you sear and then serve at medium rare, for those that like it a little more well done suggest a pot of au jus on a high simmer, 180-190ºF. Give the meat a bath for a minute or two to bring it up to medium or medium well. Good luck with not only the wedding reception, but the many happy years to follow!
    You can get the butcher to cut the bones off and you could tie them back on for cooking purposes if you like. Many people like to roast meat with the bones on for flavor. I do agree with @Skiddymarker, that it is much easier to carve without the bones. I've cooked without the bones, with the bones, and with them tied back on, and I can take it or leave it myself. 
  • Coach292
    Options
    I used mickeys coffee rub in the past came out great. Gives it an awesome flavor. 

Mickey's Coffee Rub
    INGREDIENTS: 
    1/4 cup salt 
    1/2 cup brown sugar 
    1/2 cup ancho-chili powder 
    1/2 cup expresso ground (very fine) Coffee. (Has red,yellow&green label)
    1/4 cup garlic powder 
    1/4 cup ground black pepper 
    Procedure: 
    1 Mix all and keep in an air tight container
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Here's what I did for my first one.
    Hope it's helpful -
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1175343/nye-prime-rib-is-on

LBGE/Maryland
  • SteveinTN
    Options
    Prime Rib 
    Meat – we had a 6 lb (3 bone) roasts.
    It was just enough for 3 people leaving three small slices for leftover or take home.
    We put a rub / marinade on the meat the night before.  It was simple.  
    Garlic (20 cloves) Chopped (don’t use food processor)
    Olive oil ¾ cup
    ¼  cup Worchester sauce
    2 tablespoons Kosher salt
    3 tablespoons course black pepper
    Here was the egg set up - Platesetter feet up
    I then used the drip pan raised with the egg feet.  This kept the liquids from just boiling dry.  
    Liquid for the drip pan
    4 cups beef broth 
    A dozen or so garlics that have been pressed.
    Several sprigs of rosemary.
    Obviously the cast iron grate is next then I placed the prime rib on a v rack.

Cook – 225 degrees probe hooked to regular probe inside egg
    I increased the temperature to 250 for the last hour of the cook.  When I pulled it I did a baby sear 30sec side to just give it a bit of color and burn off any excess marinade.
    Pull it at 125 degrees and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
    The cook was just over 3 hours.  Maybe 3.5 hours including the rest time.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    First: thanks to everyone that was so kind to offer help from their experience in low and slow. Thank you for the well wishes too. I will be doing my first "trial run" today, with a 5 + pound cut. I bought the BGE, on a Thursday, the day before the worst winter storm in 50 years. The place I bought it from scheduled delivery for the following Monday, due to the number of the BGEs they had sold. The next three days it snowed. Hard. 2 inches per hour in some instances. Did I mention for three straight days? On Monday the storm ended, completely paralyzing the state. If it moved, it had legs, and not too far, because the temps were way below freezing. i knew there would be no delivery for some time. I shoveled out everything just in case...after two additional snow storms, and the ensuing shoveling (about 24 inches at this point), the following Friday, the delivery truck arrived! Hoooofreakinray!!! The two delivery guys were so kind and helpful in unloading and stacking everything I bought. They were shocked to see a cleared driveway, sidewalk, and patio, and they actually asked me if I was crazy. Whatever. The temps were still just above zero. That is when I made the big TDA move ever. Instead of immediately taking the vent off the top and replacing with the ceramic cap, I opened the BGE tossed in some of the accessories (fire starters, gloves, other things you need to use the BGE), then closed the lid and begun working on the cooking space, dump the lump in bins, just everything I had studied and prepared for this day. An hour later, lid froze shut. Did I mention I left the fire starters inside the BGE. Did I mention how funny my Fiancé found this situation? Not wanting to risk anything, I decided to wait for it to warm up to thaw the BGE. It was ok, I wanted to study more anyway, as your kind offerings of wisdom guided me to this day. It was also  5 days before it thawed enough to open. I checked on it many times every day. My fiancé is now worried because she thinks I seem to care more about the BGE than the upcoming wedding or whatever. She should be. I made her take pictures of me with "Gretchen" (my BGE XL). I sent the picture to all my friends. Anyway, today is the day, ambient 34F, going low and slow, lump only, reverse sear, trial run. I am nervous, yet excited, Gretchen looks ready, fiancé is rethinking the whole marriage thing, roast is going to happen!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Smoker317
    Options
    LOL, that is the name of my mistress!!!  You certainly have had some weather issues.  Happy wedding to you and the better half and enjoy your rib.  You sound like you have scored an A+ on your homework.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Ok, made a few rookie mistakes, but I got to tell you the end result was much better than it should have been.

On bitter cold days, be sure to use enough lump, especially using the BBQ or similar. I made a mistake in my math calculations of burn rate of the selected charcoal versus temperature/time.

The calculation I used was Fx:C(T1\T2)xW/E.

it should have been Fx:C(T1\T2)xW/E, without drinking wine prior to utilization of BGE.

Lesson Learned. Next: Pork Loin!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Meant to say "when using the BBQ guru". Guess I need to stop drinking wine before I post as well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Ron, drinking while egging and posting?  You'll fit right in here!  Congrats on the egg, and the upcoming wedding.  But we want pictures of that roast!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • YukonRon
    Options

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    This is last nights result. Delicious! Thanks to all that gave me the courage and knowledge to make this bad boy happen!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    This is last nights result. Delicious! Thanks to all that gave me the courage and knowledge to make this bad boy happen!
    Looks great! I'm sure this was a home run!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Some of my best posts come while drinking. At least I think so at the time. 

Nice cook, glad you enjoyed it. BTW, just fill'er up with lump, you can use it next time. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I glad someone asked this again so I could find the older thread.  I am cooking a 2 bone or 6 pound rib roast tomorrow for some some friends and I think I will be doing the sear last method so as to not have to fight to get the egg down in temp.  I'm thinking of cooking at 275 to 350 to 130 then searing it.  I believe at 350 it would take about 2 hours.  I have also read about cooking it indirect at 450 for 30 minutes then bring it down to 350 to finish.  I will take notes and lot of photos.  I thinking of just using salt, pepper and some garlic on it. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.