Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sassafras

Options

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    Yes. I have used sassafras wood for smoking before. It gives a dare I say "root beer" taste to poultry. It's getting hard to find down my way though.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    bboulier said:

I just took a guess that you was going to ask if anyone had ever used sassafras wood for smoking.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    When I lived in Arkansas, I had a friend that was a logger and he kept me supplied with sassafras for my offset stick burner. I bought a bag of chunks at an eggfest a couple of years ago. I love the sweetness in the smoke, and don't recall a root beer taste as you would expect. I'd love to find some again. I haven't looked online for it. Maybe I need to go visit my friend in Arkansas.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Good to know. I've made tea. Will have to try it
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Thanks for the information.  I will give it a try.   Root beer does use sassafras; so I will check to see whether I can detect that flavor.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I wonder what hemp (the non psychoactive male of the cannabis plant) stalks would do to food on an egg?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,987
    edited January 2015
    Options

I wonder what hemp (the non psychoactive male of the cannabis plant) stalks would do to food on an egg?

you sure know a lot about cannabis...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options

you sure know a lot about cannabis…
    I can barely spell it. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Here's why I don't use sassafras. I have access to lots of it and even made sassafras tea as a kid. The following paragraph is from WebMD.

"in beverages and candy, sassafras was used in the past to flavor root beer. It was also used as a tea. But sassafras tea contains a lot of safrole, the chemical in sassafras that makes it poisonous. One cup of tea made with 2.5 grams of sassafras contains about 200 mg of safrole. That equates to a dose of about 3 mg of safrole per 1 kg of body weight. This is about 4.5 times the dose that researchers think is poisonous. So, in 1976, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ruled that sassafras could no longer be sold as sassafras tea."

Too many other good woods to choose from.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    @JethroVA That's what I was somewhat concerned about.  I think I will just use it as firewood in my wood burning stove  Great firewood, nice and dense