Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Rack of Pork

OK, so I have spent hours reading the forum before attempting my first costco rack of pork. Any recommendations for a simple rub? I'm thinking about DP Raging a River or Dizzy Dust. Also, cook at 350 for about 2 hours to an IT of 140?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I would strongly suggest the RR. That's a great combo paired with the pork. Your instincts are quite good. It'll be great, enjoy.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    They're also good with simple S&P and a nice fruity glaze or sauce.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I've done a few of them in the past month. 350 indirect with a couple small chunks of hickory. I like to season with Carolina Seasoning from The Holland Grill Co but I'm sure you can use whatever you want. 

When it hits 125 internal, first glaze (50/50 stone ground mustard and honey mixture). When it hits about 135 hit it with glaze again, close the dome for another 3-4 minutes max. Then remove it and rest on a baking rack for about 15 minutes. If you put it on a plate rather than a baking rack, the cold plate will pull more of the juice out. The rest time will get you to 140 internal. That sweet honey mustard glaze really compliments the pork - you don't even have to like mustard to enjoy the sweet and savory flavor. 

I mistakenly took one to about 140 before taking it off. We had to rest for about 25 minutes for the rest of the meal to finish and that one ended up much drier than the previous ones that I had done and the internal ended up near 150 after the rest. 

Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm sure it will be great.  
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Don't over think the cook.  Keep it simple.  I have cooked both direct and indirect without much difference in the final product.  take the rack out and hour before it goes on the egg and slather it with course Kosher salt (wipe off excess salt grains before placing on the egg and season to taste).  Cook till IT in the horizontal and vertical center reads 130-135.  Carryover will take it to about 145ish which is still plenty red and juicy and the ends will please the eaters who don't like to see pink.  If not one care about red pull when IT is 130.
    Good luck  
     BTW if you can get your hands on a good quality peach jam thrown that in a sauce pan add some liquor (Bourbon) to thin and brush over the pork while resting and serve the rest at the table.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • minniemoh
    @Austin Egghead - your peach jam and bourbon sounds fantastic!
    eggAddict from MN!
  • lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    Awesome, thank you for the feedback! I'm in GA, so peach jam is readily available. That sounds good. I also like the mustard and honey glaze idea. Thanks again! Is 350 the right dome temp?
  • minniemoh
    edited January 2015
    @lecrams - 350 will get you a nice ~2hr cook and minimize any moisture loss in my opinion. That's what I've had success with. If you have a remote thermometer, use it. The temp moves pretty quickly toward the end of the cook. If you only have an instant read (Thermapen or the like) I would check it every 10 minutes or less when you get to 120 internal so you don't overshoot. I would pull it at 133-135 if I were cooking it today. If you pull it at 135, I would leave it uncovered on the baker's rack and you should easily reach 140 carryover temp.

If you do some kind of a sweet glaze, don't put it on too soon or you risk burning it in the heat for very long.

It's a very easy cook so don't stress and enjoy it. I'm sure you'll rock it! 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    350 is a good temp especially if you are going to use a honey mustard glaze. Cook to temp. It might not take 2 hours. I do mine exactly like @Austin Egghead ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Do it like a thick pork chop. I use kosher salt, course ground pepper, and a light sprinkling of good ole Monterey steak seasoning. Bam.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • lecrams
    I like it. Any drip pan?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I'd use a drip pan even though you probably won't get much. Better empty pan than stinky smoke.
  • lecrams
    edited January 2015
    Thank you all for your advice, it turned out great! Got rave reviews from the family. Used the raging river rub, cooked for 2 hours at 350, glazed with some honey about 15 minutes before pulling. Delicious
  • minniemoh
    Congratulations on a successful cook!
    eggAddict from MN!