Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomorrow is the Prime Rib after party starring Superior Angus Choice!

Got this monster at Restaurant depot, gonna save some for NYE at a friends, the rest is going on the egg for my Christmas after party on friday.
I did carve myself a little treat for tonight though.

Nothing but S&P, and a little granulated garlic, keepin it simple. Trimmed the fat layer to 1/4", then I peeled that back and spiced , then folded back over and tied. I am proud of my tie job!
Going on 250-275F until rare internal, then removing, cranking egg to 500-600F to sear and bring up to med rare.
Back tomorrow with the money shots, wish me luck.
imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
 Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "

Comments

• tbst
    tbst Posts: 43
    I like the actual tape measure for size! Looks like a great time, enjoy.
  • The tape measure, combining work with pleasure. Good job on the tie. Looks like you got some good eats coming up.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Wishing you good luck and standing by for the finale my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Well, I have to say, this thing was spectacular if I do say so myself. The Angus beef really is wonderful.
    I cooked at a steady 250F raised direct until 115F, then pulled and covered in foil.
     Then removed indirect stone, cranked egg up to 550F, and seared the fat on the outside nice and crisp! The very center never exceeded 127F, everyone who loves rare, got it, I like the end , plated pic is my end cut, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans blanched, and then sauteed with bacon bits, bacon fat and brisket beef fat,I call them double fat green beans.
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Good job.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Perfection personified my friend. Please, allow me:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anton
    @theyolksonyou , @Terrebandit , @SGH , thank all you brothers, SGH  I really appreciate the seal,I worked hard on this one, particularly the research, the execution went super smooth since I had a clear plan.
    :)>-
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Oh man, anton that looks perfect ... thanks for the pics and the documentation.  This thread is already bookmarked for future reference.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited December 2014
    anton said:

...I cooked at a steady 250F raised direct until 115F, then pulled and covered in foil.
     Then removed indirect stone, cranked egg up to 550F, and seared the fat on the outside nice and crisp! The very center never exceeded 127F, everyone who loves rare, got it, ....

Making one in a couple days.  Wanted to check if this is a typo...
    Did you cook it raised indirect and then sear it direct?

Oh, and how long did it take?

Looks great, thanks!

LBGE/Maryland
  • anton
    @KiterTodd, that IS a typo, it was raised indirect for sure, then seared raised direct, (I remove stone with heavy welding gloves) Total cook time was surprisingly short for my approx weight of roast 9 lb =/- it took 3hrs plus searing time. Sorry about typo.

@Jeepster47, thank you for the compliments as well, this recipe from all that I read not only turns out a perfect moist product, but it produces that picture perfect meat , red throughout , without any brown overcooked areas. The plated piece is actually the end, my favorite, it was med well for sure, but I loved the crusty end.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Great damn job! Looks awesome!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • I have been waiting for your post...Congrats you killed it..I am doing mine today, little different...I am going to cook right through without a sear..350 dome till 120 IT then rest for 20 min.. Mine is also a little smaller than yours ( didn't like typing that )  ;)... Once again great post and cook, have a great Sunday..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • anton
    @Fred19Flintstone, @cazzy, @yzzi, Thank you very much,these gifs are hilarious it means a lot coming from you guys.
    @johnmitchell, thank you too brother, best of luck on your cook today as well, you got this !
    your method is solid , tried and true as well, read a lot about it, enjoy that meal, I will be watching for your finale.
    :-bd
  • Awesome looking cook right there. You just ruined everyone who ate it on restaurant prime rib for the rest of their lives.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • anton
    edited December 2014
    The Cen-Tex Smoker , thank you sir, , I recently ate a really good prime rib dinner at my company Christmas party, but after mine, I am afraid I am ruined as well!!