Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Cure That'll Ale Ya

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
I've never smoked a ham period. I decided to do a Ham from start to finish for Christmas. I've also never cured any meat.
The cure was fairly simple.
1 1/2C Kosher Salt
1/2C picking spice
16 oz pkg of dark brown sugar
2 sliced oranges from one of our trees
8 tsp Cure Salt #1

Brought 1 gallon of water to a rolling boil and added ingredients and stirred.

Allowed the cure to fully cool. In a food safe container added in the fresh uncured leg of pork (ham)--removed the skin and saved for cracklins--. Poured in the cure and more ice water till it covered the ham completely.
imageimage

Took it to my office for the cure. We have a large commercial reach in cooler that was perfect.
imageimage

This is about day 7. Boss put a note on the container. Everybody called the container "Blake's Head". Lol
imageimage

11 days total cure time. Rinsed well and patted dry. Then it was covered in the refrigerator for another 2 days.
imageimage

Today. Smoking with RW and Sugar Maple chunks. Set Stoker to 190℉ pit target temp and 150℉ food target temp. Lots of rain/storms today so we've got the pop-up and Stoker in the case I made. I'll discuss the glaze later. More pics to follow.
imageimageimage
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments