Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aaron Franklin....

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Just curious has anyone read his new book- A Meat Smoking Manifesto. If so, what are your thoughts? Recommend it or not? Thanks.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SGH
    edited December 2014
    Just noticed that it was preorder and not available.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• He's got a great "BBQing with Franklin" YouTube channel, some of whose videos have over 300,000 views. It's very Texas-specific (as he is in Austin), and focuses on salt and pepper and oak on most meats. He's likeable in a hipster-y sort of way, and I've learned a lot from him. I've also seen him once or twice on BBQ Pitmasters as a judge.

Check out the YouTube channel for a taste of his style: https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQwithFranklin
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I have personally emailed Aaron regarding brisket advice on the BGE and he has been very good at responding and providing eggcellent advice, I will probably buy his book.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Come on Scotty, you know you want it. I say buy it!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SGH
    Chelnerul said:
    He's got a great "BBQing with Franklin" YouTube channel, some of whose videos have over 300,000 views. It's very Texas-specific (as he is in Austin), and focuses on salt and pepper and oak on most meats. He's likeable in a hipster-y sort of way, and I've learned a lot from him. I've also seen him once or twice on BBQ Pitmasters as a judge.

Check out the YouTube channel for a taste of his style: https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQwithFranklin

I have been watching his videos on PBS now that I have Apple TV. He seems real down to earth. I have enjoyed the ones that I have watched thus far.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    dstearn said:
    I have personally emailed Aaron regarding brisket advice on the BGE and he has been very good at responding and providing eggcellent advice, I will probably buy his book.

That's mighty kind of him. That speaks volumes to me as to what kind of a person he is.

Status- Standing by.

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Between Aaron Franklin's video's and @SGH's advice, I don't look anywhere else for advice. I am pretty sure the two of you have it covered most of the time.
    :-bd :)>-
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SGH
    tulocay said:
    Come on Scotty, you know you want it. I say buy it!

I honestly feel that his book will be better than some that have been put out by other big name gurus. I will probably end up getting it.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    anton said:
    Between Aaron Franklin's video's and @SGH's advice, I don't look anywhere else for advice. I am pretty sure the two of you have it covered most of the time.
    :-bd :)>-

You are much to kind my friend. Thank you for the very kind words.

Status- Standing by.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I think @SGH should write a book. 

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Cant wait for the book to come out!!! I'm hoping that he reveals the secrets he uses that are not in the videos.  There is definitely more to his brisket then s&p and oak!!!  
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @sgh I say go for it.  Make a few short and sweet videos, things you really like to cook, and see how people respond.  @nphuskerfl put one up making chicken lollipops.  I thought it was cool to see how someone from the forum does something like that.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Dang it; I wasn't going to buy any more barbeque books...   :-S

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    @sgh +10000000 o. The YouTube vids. It's a must.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    jcolabove said:
    Cant wait for the book to come out!!! I'm hoping that he reveals the secrets he uses that are not in the videos.  There is definitely more to his brisket then s&p and oak!!!  
    There is a ring of truth to what he says in the videos. It's all certainly sound and proven advice. However he does leave it open to the imagination on some things. I can't say that I blame him though. He buys such a quantity of meat that he can have it aged to his specification, extracted from certain age and weight animals. Little things like this that you can not control make a huge differnce. At the end of the day, he is a great pitmaster trying to make a living selling food. Thus we will probably never know all of his methods and procedures. However I do feel he is more helpful than most. As much as I respect Myron Mixon, i err on the side of Franklins methods and advice. Franklin does try to be helpful. 

Status- Standing by.

• @SGH - I like your friend's channel, HowToBBQRight.  I subscribe.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    @SGH - I like your friend's channel, HowToBBQRight.  I subscribe.
    Brother Reed is a good man as well as a great pitmaster. He has really made a name for himself down south cooking whole hogs. He is a lot like Aaron Frankin. He try's to be helpful and offers very solid methods and recipes. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH said:
    bud812 said:
    I think @SGH should write a book. 

I have thought about it, but I'm not real good with words. On a separate note, I'm honestly considering shooting some unique videos and putting them on YouTube. A friend of mine, brother Malcom Reed does this very thing. I'm not thinking of doing it for the money, just more to actually help folks. I'm considering doing a series with just the Egg and a series dedicated to offsets and reverse flows. Hey it would be fun if nothing else.
    DO IT! I have learned so much from Malcolm, and I love his unassuming and easy going manner in explaining how and why he does what he does. He also makes a damn fine rub. You have a similar style (at least in words), I say go for it!
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Bob at BBQOutfitters in Austin had him put on a deal at Texas Fest last year in Austin. Bob told me he was trying to make that happen again.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Mickey said:
    Bob at BBQOutfitters in Austin had him put on a deal at Texas Fest last year in Austin. Bob told me he was trying to make that happen again.
    I'm more than sure he will do it unless it conflicts with his schedule. Short of that he will more than likely be there.

Status- Standing by.

• He is a straight up person.  Met him last year at the Texas Eggfest.  Hope he makes again for 2015.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SGH
    He is a straight up person.  Met him last year at the Texas Eggfest.  Hope he makes again for 2015.
    He is about as down to earth as they come. He reminds me a lot of myself ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH said:
    He is a straight up person.  Met him last year at the Texas Eggfest.  Hope he makes again for 2015.
    That does it.  Cant wait to meet you.  See you in Salado. =P~
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SGH
    SGH said:
    That does it.  Cant wait to meet you.  See you in Salado. =P~
    I'm looking forward to it my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    SGH said: 
    At the end of the day, he is a great pitmaster trying to make a living selling food. Thus we will probably never know all of his methods and procedures. 

Didn't someone here on this forum write down the best temperature for brisket, based on all the newspaper clippings hanging up in Franklin's own restaurant, and each one was slightly different?  
    ;))

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    @blind99‌ Thank You man!
    I made a goofy video and then #-o forgot to say what temp and indirect, raised indirect, direct, raised indirect. Oops.
    Thinking of doing another video. But, this time on some charcuterie.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    SGH said:
    @tarheelmatt ... yep, you were right yesterday when you said; "I would expect a southerner to lay it on thicker than the northerners."

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Botch said:

Dang it; I wasn't going to buy any more barbeque books...   :-S

I feel so inadequate. I don't own any BBQ books. :-/
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

@blind99‌ Thank You man!
    I made a goofy video and then #-o forgot to say what temp and indirect, raised indirect, direct, raised indirect. Oops.
    Thinking of doing another video. But, this time on some charcuterie.

That's OK @NPHuskerFL‌ you have to keep a few secrets for yourself! Seriously though, make some more videos, I'm sure people will watch. Charcuterie sounds great. Also Maybe doing a deboned chicken?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle