Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What kind of store did you buy your BGE from?

Options
I've bought two Eggs so far. The first was from Pinch a Penny, and the second one from a electric motor repair shop Escambia Motor Works. I've received better service from the electric motor repair shop, and a better deal on the price. What is the most unusable place you have seen Eggs sold at?
George Foreman? Who? 
Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
Large, Minimax-soon

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My first was a Small and got it with Airline miles delivered to the house. My next was a Large and as a Demo from BBQOutfitters in Austin at an EggFest. I won my first Mini at the Plano EggFest. My next Large and Mini I bought fron Ace in Salado as well as a few weeks ago the Mini Max. Note the Small and one Mini have been sold.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Are you asking where one wouldn't buy from either a second time or the first time?  If so, then I would suggest that it's not the store itself, but the manager/management team that makes it a good/bad place to do business.

Go talk with the manager of both stores and you'll most likely find the Motor Works manager truly loves people and loves making them happy.  He hires workers who have the same attitude as he does, because that's the type of people he enjoys being around.  That attitude simply permeates everything about the store ... word of mouth then brings in more business than any amount of advertizing. 

Word of mouth about a store with negative vibes also deflects more business.  Piss off a customer and s/he will tell at least 20 people about the experience.  Unfortunately, good experiences are not shared as much.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Without digging out my receipt, I don't even remember the NAME of my dealer, much less what his primary business was. Haven't been there since I bought the egg 5+ years ago. Or to any other dealer for that matter.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Holepuncher
    Options
    Got mine from a jocal pool and spa store. 
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Hiawassee Hardware as a demo egg from the Georgia Mountain Eggfest. Heckuva road trip, but it was worth it. I'm still trying to figure out who was cooking on it and what they made. Whatever it was, that Ford Explorer smelled absolutely wonderful on the way home!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    The Big Grill Store

Small Mom and Pop in a strip on P'tree Industrial just north of McGinnis Ferry in Metro Atlanta
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I bought my large at a pool supply store. Now there are 3 dealers locally. One is a locksmith shop and the other is a BBQ supply store. My mini came from a guy who has a takeout restaurant.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have had 6-- 
    First a Kamado bought in a military px during the conflict in SE Asia '67-'68 for $20. Destroyed in a move in '71.
    Second a large used twice by the previous owner in 2 years  bought for $300 with a table from the seller of a house we listed and sold here in Melbooring Fl '2002-2003 forget.
    Third a small in '05-'06 was a gift from the sponsor of the Florida Fest in those days held in Ocala Fl. His delivery truck backed into my vehicle and the small and some eggcessories resulted from that situation so he did not have to file an insurance claim..
    Fourth a used Oriental Kamado large purchased from an estate sale in '04 for $10.
    Fifth a medium my friend Lamb Chop won one year '09-'10 when we were cooks and she won with a cooks raffle ticket.
    Sixth a second large oriental kamado bought from an estate sale for $10- '09 from a person who was with the diplomatic corp for several years in Japan.

Still have four the first was destroyed in '01 in a move and the one from Japan was sold last year.  There are deals around if you happen to stumble on them. Have never worried about a new unit warranty 'cause that is a rare claim IMHO.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Bought my large from a fireplace shop.  Had great service when it cracked and had to be replaced under warranty.  4 days from notifying them until my new Egg was there.
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Hagan Ace Hardware in Orange Park, FL (top shelf dealers ALL of the Hagan Ace Hardware's).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    At the True Value down the hill from me. They are a Gold dealer and have really treated me well. 
  • Walkersbald
    Options
    I have bought 3 eggs total over last few years. A medium for our place in the mountains and a large and xlarge for family cooks at home. All were purchased from the pinch a penny in orange park. All their salespeople were very knowledgeable, most of them have an egg at home so they are very familiar with it. Everytime i have purchased they have had the best price.( i priceshopped each one.) . The manager, Tyler is easy to work with always giving me tips. I greatly appreciate their store!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I bought my egg from a one-legged hooker that also worked as NASA consultant solving difficult physics problem.  She had a lemonade stand on Canal street and it was just sitting there.  I offered her the a few shekels and we worked out an amiable deal.
    Options
    Got my XL in July from Barbeques Galore in Grapevine, Tx. Great manager and good service but I have since been going to the Ceramic Grill Store in Denton which is closer and Tom really knows his stuff!!

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    A large garden supply store.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I bought my egg from a one-legged hooker ...  I offered her the a few shekels and we worked out an amiable deal.
    @nolaegghead ... Okay, but what did you pay for the egg?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    EggFest.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Wassi's Meats in Melbourne FL, the best place in the country to by an EGG.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

I bought my egg from a one-legged hooker ...  I offered her the a few shekels and we worked out an amiable deal.

5 dollar. He loved her long time.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options

5 dollar. He loved her long time.

Too beaucoup!

Got mine @ bbq outfitters. I'm close by so I don't need to horde lump. I totally would be a horder if i wasn't close.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I bought my XL from Ace hardware. There is a dealer down the street from my house and they are a garden center but Ace's deal was hard to pass up on. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ you crack me up.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

I bought my egg from a one-legged hooker that also worked as NASA consultant solving difficult physics problem.  She had a lemonade stand on Canal street and it was just sitting there.  I offered her the a few shekels and we worked out an amiable deal.

I think I bought a watch from her......

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I bought mine from a place called Grates, Grills & More in down town Biloxi. Very shortly after I purchased mine, the place went out of business. Hated to see it go for obvious reasons. He had a killer website as well. Sadly it shut down as well. I always give credit where credit is due. The fellow that owned the store is the one who helped me with cooking the whole turkeys at 500 degrees. Sure wish he would pop back up.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Danny Noonan
    Options
    I got mine from the Mother Ship back when it was on Buford Highway at Clairmont.  Bought it in 1997 and its the only one I own. Upgraded components over the years but the same Egg still going strong. Haven't owned a gasser since. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Was her name Ilean?
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    bought mine from a mom and pop pool supply store. It was the 1st place I'd ever seen and egg. took me two years to pull the trigger. Very nice folks, but after buying it and spending a few weeks on this forum, I probably knew more than them about using it. They told me that it only took 10 minutes to be ready to cook on it, but, the BGE literature said the same thing. I learned that lesson very quickly..   

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

I got my XL at Jeff's Backyard in San Antonio.  They sell grills and outdoor playsets. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Walkersbald‌ B-) We almost have enough eggheads locally for serious throw down. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blink
    blink Posts: 2
    Options
    Got mine from a tire dealership. This guy sold eggs as a sideline. His passion for the egg was apparent. Along with a very competitive price , that is where I purchased my egg.
    Massanutten Virginia