Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confession Time: How much has the BGE really cost you?

Options

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Bump. Mine should be updated to the 3k mark I think
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    grege345 said:

Bump. Mine should be updated to the 3k mark I think

That's just evil bumping this so close to the holidays. Hey, wait, do I have to count value of things for the egg I've receieved as gifts?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Eggs were $300(L), $600(L), and $400(S).  Three nests $400.  Accessories, probably another grand.  
    Still in the black compared to other pastimes camping(camper and tow vehicle 13K), biking 5K, and the newest hobby archery/hunting 3K and climbing. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    The real question is how much has it SAVED you? We rarely go out to eat anymore, huge savings!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    ^ this
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• badinfluence
    Options
    I'm about 14 into eggs and eggcessorie. And no it has not saved me that much in total bit before the egg I also would never have bought a 200.00 SRF gold brisket either.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm in well over $10k on egg one (9 years in).I don't know how to quantify the cost of adding another egg but I can tell you that between all the eggfests, buddy trips, booze, lump, etc it has to be well over 10G. I may have offset that some by the commercial stuff I used them it for but like @lakeswade so artfully put it: "I didn't get in to this to save money"
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have bought 6 Eggs and still have 4. There is no telling and I was working when I did all but this last one. Much harder to make those purchases now that I need to account more for the toss it and worry later money. I don't like this thread [-(
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    like @lakeswade so artfully put it: "I didn't get in to this to save money"
    That's @lakewade, singular.  And I think the quote was, "I will never save any money with friends like you."

No complaints though.  Well, actually a lot of complaints now that I think about it, but you can't change the past so why complain? 

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I spent about $500 for my small; egg, nest, cover, v-rack, half-moon, plate setter, gripper, ash tool, electric starter, Ruland starters, rubs, smoking wood, and other things. I was fortunate to be the high bidder on a couple of auctions.

Owning a BGE saves money. A 20 pound bag of RO is less than $12. I can cook a whole month on a bag.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lakewade said:
    like @lakeswade so artfully put it: "I didn't get in to this to save money"
    That's @lakewade, singular.  And I think the quote was, "I will never save any money with friends like you."

No complaints though.  Well, actually a lot of complaints now that I think about it, but you can't change the past so why complain? 

ha! I do like the sound of "lake suede" though. Sounds luxurious and smooth. Two things you are not. I do agree though- too late to complain so let's just find out what kind of chemicals make us feel better the day after. I'm still hung over from last Christmas.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    lakewade said:
        And I think the quote was, "I will never save any money with friends like you."

I don't know CT as well as you do, but he has been instrumental in the spending of my money. For example, the Amazn smoker doohickey was inexpensive, but the SV was pricier.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    So far counting the Egg, tools, rubs, sauces, meat and lump $3000 or so, but I don't think the everyday cooks and lump should count. If I didn't buy the egg I would have bought a new had grill and would be buying propane instead, but I had a WSM before the egg and used it to smoke meat, but not as offten. I think we eat healthierby cooking on the egg. I don't cook many carbs on it, mostly meat and veggies and food taste better so well worth it.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I know I recently had an $85 steak at a reputable restaurant that sucked, so let me try and think how much my Egg addiction saved me....

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE, MMBGE, table w/ mods, cart, Stoker, Smokeware, Thermapen, PS's, CI pans & CI ware, bbq tools, pizza stone, lump, wood, etc
    I'm gonna be conservative and say $4K
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

Well into the tens of thousands for sure when counting all the Eggfests and everything else, but it's still a bargain because we just keep on enjoying every moment of it.

Spring "Have I Told My Eggs I Love Them Today?  Of Course I Did" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    lakewade said:
        And I think the quote was, "I will never save any money with friends like you."

I don't know CT as well as you do, but he has been instrumental in the spending of my money. For example, the Amazn smoker doohickey was inexpensive, but the SV was pricier.

yeah- I don't think you are going to get any sympathy from wade on this deal. This run started in 1985 and the eggs are the least of our worries. "Better call Saul" is more like it.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I did just spend another $120 at the ceramicgrillstore.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    Way more than I'd ever admit to SWMBO.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Way more than I'd ever admit to SWMBO.

Exactly. :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I used to be an alcoholic, with low self esteem, no friends, no future, negative growth in every graph one could make about a single human's progress in life.  Then I got an egg.  Everything changed from there on.  It was priceless, the improvement.  At the same time I got a three wolf moon T-shirt, so I'm not certain the egg was the reason or not.  We'll never know, but one thing's for sure - I can't rule it out.
    Options
    Between my L and XL I figure I have spent close to $2000 and that's with basically winning the XL at an EGGfest. But as others have said it has saved me a lot of money from not going out to eat. These numbers aren't totally accurate but you will get the point. Two Eggs $900, accessories $1000, rubs, smoking woods, and lump $400, enjoying the hobby and making good food...priceless!!!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    Who knows with the challenger cart going for much more than the LBGE itself, along with adjustable rig, thermometers and other attachments.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    If I play this game, it might cost me a house, and marrage. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I feel like a real slacker. I've only got about $300 into my LBGE and table.  It does help that a friend gifted me the egg and table earlier this year. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I'm at about three grand not counting lump. Not too much compared to many of you.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • matt121966
    Options
    Just purchased XL with nest for $1299, plus table attachments $125, plus place setter $150.

Up to $1600 real quick without meat.

The way I look at it - taking the family out for a great steak is a decent $400-$500 on special event days.

While I spent alot on the BGE - I enjoy grilling and would rather 'kick it' at home than go out.

I haven't even been through a BGE summer yet !!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to it.
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • GaryLange
    Options
    Man I never figured that out but I am sure it is a bunch for the Turkey's, Chicken's, Pork Shoulders, Brisket and other things. I figure I got to eat anyway so buy big and make a bunch.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :-? hmmm didn't add the cost of proteins thus far. Cha Ching! Cha Ching!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i wrote the eggs off as part of my fishing hobby so not much at all considering......
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it