Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confession Time: How much has the BGE really cost you?

Options
12346»

Comments

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Well... if you were previously eating BBQ (or whatever) at restaurants, I imagine that you are chipping away at the costs slowly.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Well I'm pushing 2k for my xl with plenty of room to go...Thinking Ill be around 3ish...and I use ish very loosely..he he

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Two eggs a large and a medium plus all the accessories and electronic gadgets. I'm well over $2500. This has become my new hobby. And hobbies can be extremely expensive. This pales in comparison to to the expense of my old hobby golf. Besides, I'm always happy during and after cooking on my egg. Not the case with golf. I've never once wanted to throw my big green egg into a lagoon or snap my spatula in half. Lump charcoal is much cheaper than golf balls.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    ^^^^ Beers by the egg are much cheaper than beers by the green too.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    Whatever I've spent was just offset by my Grandson saying that I make the best ribs ever. Good enough for me.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I have no idea. Eating out has been drastically been reduced. Too many factors to figure it out. Gas to town, tips, food cost etc. Vs. initial egg cost, lump, accessories, food, etc. I'm affraid to know the actual cost. Some things are better off unknown. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'll just count the ones I can rememeber..

XL Egg and Table -- $1000
    Cover - $100
    AR/Woo - $250
    Gloves - $30
    Ash tool - $30
    Lump Bin - $10
    Ceramic Damper - $10
    Thermapen - $80
    Thermapop - $20
    Maverick - $100
    V-Rack - $40
    Extended Grid - $20
    Amazin Smoker - $35
    Weber Thermo - $5
    Dexter serrated slicer - $30

For a total of....$1760, probably closer to $2k, and it's not a year old yet!  The amount of money spent on food to cook on the egg, is probably more than the Egg itself!

Numerous beers, wood chunks, bags of RO, and good meals...PRICELESS!!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    The BGE hasn't cost me all that much, it's this #@%@#^%! forum that is expensive.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @DMW Agreed!  If you count the sous vide stuff, camera upgrade, fests, brisket camp, sausage making gear, slicer, knives, food, other gear, spices....I'm probably in for $15k
    Options

@DMW Agreed!  If you count the sous vide stuff, camera upgrade, fests, brisket camp, sausage making gear, slicer, knives, food, other gear, spices....I'm probably in for $15k

It must be nice to have that kind of money to throw around. Us poor folks can only dream.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @SGH - You're funny! That's got to be about what your meat bill is for 5-6 months! I saw that feast you made for dinner last night. :))
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SGH said:
    It must be nice to have that kind of money to throw around. Us poor folks can only dream.
    Coming from the guy that kept John Deere tractor company in business through this recession, that's called hyperbole.
    edited December 2014
    Options

SGH said:

Coming from the guy that kept John Deere tractor company in business through this recession, that's called hyperbole.

You got me on that one brother ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    :-? hmmm didn't add the cost of proteins thus far. Cha Ching! Cha Ching!

Adding in the proteins and vegetables on the indoor stove top/ oven would and $1000's to its cost.
    I'm in pretty deep at $500 for my small but it's worth every penny.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited December 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    nolaegghead said:

... the guy that kept John Deere tractor company in business ...
    You got me on that one brother ;)
    @SGH ... Oh no, tell me it isn't true.  You're not a John Deere man are you?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    ask my wife..I only spent "about $100 bucks more than a Weber"....lol

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    ask my wife..I only spent "about $100 bucks more than a Weber"....lol

Must of made up some fake receipts.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

she never saw them....

What she doesn't know

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited December 2014
    Options
    *confressional

I ate at Rudy's for dinner tonight.  It was great.  This simple dinner trip made me realize what I've become with this damned egg.  I'm a damned rat race idiot, chasing all the neo-hipster food fads.  Furk!

I get caught up in Franklin's/J Mueller's, hipster BBQ vibe and it sure is cool and great.  I'm getting tired of the friggen cool hipster rat race though.  Lines at Franklins, Lines at Hopdaddy, lines for friggen ramen.  f*ck!  Wanna see a movie?  Lines.  Want whole foods?  Line.  I bet somewhere in Austin there is a line for a line.  And they are all wearing fedora's and scarves, mustaches and beards, old wool sportcoats, and drinking weirdo beers that taste fantastic that are also sold out

Ya know, I had some spot on Rudy's point and upper flat ("Cutters choice", under the point).  Turkey was good, St. Louis ribs were good, jalapeno sausages were good.  But today, the brisket was spot on.

Faaaak!

This is what the egg has cost me.  My friggen soul has been sold to the hipster devil.

PS - I hold back too much too, as long as I'm in confessional.

*end.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If someone says sous vide I'll shart myself.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I'm over $8000, and I don't regret a thing! 
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Monty77 said:
    How many Eggs do you have? $8000 buys a hen house!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited December 2014
    Options
    FROM ACTUAL RECEIPTS 

1,181.90 Initial Purchase

=============

$1,586.69 (With Dealer)

=============

Owned since May 24, 2014

200 days

Cost per Day (excluding food):

===========
    $7.93 
    ===========

Large Egg, 7 QT Lodge DO, Rib Rack, PS, Pizza Stone, BGE Lump, Starters, Wood Chips, (PSWOO2, Spider and 13"CI Grate not included) 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Used egg, with plate setter, pizza stone $600. Nest handler $100. AR with RB combo $260? Cheap table $100. Auber instruments pit controller. $130. $1190? That's not too bad. Almost pulled the trigger on that Kamado Joe Jr. yesterday from Ace hardware for $337. Probably should have...
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Far less than I pay in income taxes.  :)
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Monty77 said:
    How many Eggs do you have? $8000 buys a hen house!
    LOL @Mikee, unless those hens are for cooking on my Egg, I have no use for a Hen House!  I have a Large Egg, ton of Eggcessories, and the big ticket item is my BGE large cooking island, that makes up for 50% of that total I posted.  I use mine 4-5 days a week right now and like I said, no regrets!  My photography hobby is much more expensive than Eggin!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/