Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second Hip Replacement Went Great

Options
Well my second hip replacement went great and I am in the hospital recovering. I should be out tomorrow and going home. I won't be egging for about a month or so. I'm not in a lot of pain, but they still give me pulls for it and boy are they ever kicking my butt. Thanks again for all the well wishes and I can't wait tell I can egg again. It maybe a brisket. I especially want to thank @theyolksonyou‌ for starting a thread aboutmy surgery and thinking of me. I have been a lot happier since I got my egg and have been on the forum. My wife has notice to and maybe it will make it easier to try and get her to let me have a Mini Max. I will be commenting from time to time since I have a lot of free time now.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Glad surgery went well ... should be good for a number of years ... yes?

Lots of good BBQ joints in Kansas City ... takeout will get you through the month ... wouldn't want to go cold

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    =D>

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Glad the procedure went smoothly. I hope you have a speedy recovery.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Thats great i didnt know it was your second.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Glad it went well. Hopefully, you're back cooking sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the shout out, it was my pleasure to start the thread. Folks on this forum are great!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    Good to hear! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    Glad that all went well my friend. I wish you a speedy and successful recovery. It will be great having you back posting cooks!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I am glad you are now in recovery mode! I hope you get your Mini Max! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.  I'm definitely thinking there's a Mini Max in your future.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ well on you way to the $6,000,00 man!!! Glad to hear you are doing well.

You'll be back to egging very soon, my friend!

Just don't piss off the nurses!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Wishes for speedy healing sir! I had my knee done a couple years ago, I sympathize. Not fun, as soon as you can stand for somewhat extended periods, use egging for physical therapy.
    :-bd :)>-
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Good to hear. Lots of reading cookbooks in your future I take it
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm glad you can now concentrate on recovery!  Get better soon!
    Flint, Michigan
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    I hope all goes great. Great hospitals and Dr.'s in K. C. (I am an ATL transplant from there). Just had a total knee 6 weeks ago. Slow going but in a positive direction. Never thought I would need it at 42, but an immediate relief to the pain.
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    My hips are pretty good but I need some new knees. Have you had them yet? Congrats on your recovery.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    smasch said:

I hope all goes great. Great hospitals and Dr.'s in K. C. (I am an ATL transplant from there). Just had a total knee 6 weeks ago. Slow going but in a positive direction. Never thought I would need it at 42, but an immediate relief to the pain.

My hips are pretty good but I need some new knees. Have you had them yet? Congrats on your recovery.

@smasch‌ and @Little Steven, my knees well be at some time, but hopefully it will be a while. I am getting around pretty good, right now I'm watching Thursday Night Football on my tablet, because the hospital doesn't get the NFL Network. To bad I will be done, it's going to a little warmer for a while.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,689
    Options
    Good to hear you are doing well.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Glad to hear, I hope a speedy recovery is in your future.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Glad it went well.  Get some weight on it and power through the physical therapy and you'll be egging again in no time.
    Options
    Great news! Great to hear
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Im happy you are in less pain and recovering. Get to eggin soon!!
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

@Ladeback69

I am glad things went as good as could be expected..get well my friend...

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Glad it went well.  Hoping for a speedy recovery.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • News2u
    News2u Posts: 335
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hang in there. Just joined the forum, but am a card carrying member of the joint replacement club--right knee in 2013.

Since this is your 2nd, I'm sure you know the drill. Do exactly what doc says and DO NOT overdo it!!

Beef...It's what's for dinner tonight.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Glad it went well.  Get some weight on it and power through the physical therapy and you'll be egging again in no time.

@nolaegghead‌, I would love to put some weight on it, but one of my precautions is I can only put 20%-50% of my weight on the right leg for a month. Its ok, the wife will have to cook for a while and soon she will be tired of doing that too. I have a feeling we will be doing a lot of take out. The wife wants a break from the egg she said the other day so we will see what we have.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,594
    Options
    I'm sure everyone wants you to get well fast and start egging again!
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    My buddy Jack who some here have met - he was making the margaritas at the brisket camp.  Anyway, he's getting a hip replacement next month.  He's prepped for it including buying an xbox one. He's my age (50).  Just one hip is worn out....probably due, he says, to a few accidents (motorcycle, skiing) when he was younger and the fact that he works at an inhuman pace.

Glad it's going well for you.  I'll let him know so he feels better about the procedure.  He's pretty nervous.
    Options
    My buddy Jack who some here have met - he was making the margaritas at the brisket camp.  Anyway, he's getting a hip replacement next month.  He's prepped for it including buying an xbox one. He's my age (50).  Just one hip is worn out....probably due, he says, to a few accidents (motorcycle, skiing) when he was younger and the fact that he works at an inhuman pace.

Glad it's going well for you.  I'll let him know so he feels better about the procedure.  He's pretty nervous.

@nolaegghead‌, my issue was because of being 400 pounds for a long time and having arthritis. I too am 50 and my doctor agreed to do my first replacement if I got to 280. I did and he did it. My right one was bothering me and I went in to get xrays and it was bone on bone so he agreed to do it. I am still working on missing more weight and keeping it off. Tell your friend not to worry and he will feel a lot better when he recovers. I feel better already, but I can't push it to fast or it will set me back. I'm looking forward to riding bikes with my son and playing baseball with him. Let me know if he has any questions about the procedure.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Thanks, I'll let him know
    Must be a press-fit hip @Ladeback69‌ ? Is that what they did with the first one? I can't remember.

And anyone on ATL that needs hips or knees or even shoulder replacements... Let me know. That's bern my thing for a while now. I'll give ga honest answers on each type of device!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!