Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

issues with long smokes

Options
Hi, all.

I'm encountering a real problem with my large BGE when it comes to long smokes, and I'm wondering if it's me or if I've hit a functional ceiling and need to look in to buying a supplemental smoker.  The problem is that when I'm embarking on a long smoke, brisket or pork shoulder, for example, I keep having the same issue: lack of smoke ring and not enough smoke.  

Acknowledging that it's a major pain in the ass to re-fuel the BGE with wood chunks mid-smoke (what with the weight of the meat, the plate-setter, etc.), I use the layer method of adding chunks- a layer of charcoal, throw in some wood chunks, another layer of charcoal, wood on the periphery, then a chimney-full of lit coals in the middle, with more wood directly on the coals.  Assume that I'm cooking for hours and hours over 225Fish.

The result: I tend to get intense smoke at the beginning, but after an hour or so, there's little if any smoke.  At the end, if I'm using a fruit wood, there's barely any taste of smoke at all.  Worst of all, there's zero smoke ring (acknowledging, of course, that it's carbon monoxide that creates the ring, not the wood smoke itself).  Product is otherwise nice (I've learned to flip my product to even out the bark- otherwise it just gets too tough on the bottom

Listen, I've been using my BGE for 3+ years, and I adore it for most things, but the biggest consistent problem I have with it is when I smoke.  I suspect that between the shape, the fact that the fuel is directly below the product (plate-setter notwithstanding), and the intense, absorbed heat of the porcelain just makes the Egg less-than-ideal for smoking.  An excellent all-in-one, but if you're going to do lots of smoking, it's not ideal.

Or is it my technique?

Thoughts?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,803
    Options

I get plenty of smoke ring, never re fuel, can go 20 hours in a large BGE No Problem--I rarely even add additional wood chunks, though this weekend I did use cherry. Personally the only smoke I see is when burning off @ the beginning, any think after that is clean and clear with a slight smell only and never ever have "intense smoke" with food inside

@SGH and others are real pros, but If I use more that 4 chunks in an entire load, that would be a lot. Don't think you can get more smoke in after the meat hits a certain temp anyway. I keep rub simple, salt and pepper- let meat come to room temp, load and let it ride

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • biggreenmatt
    Options
    I did an 8 pound shoulder yesterday over applewood.  Was on for a good 11-12 hours at ~225F (jacked it up to 350F for the last 30 mins), and I flipped it a few times, since I find that without it, the bark gets too thick to the point of being inedible (when I flip, I always get amazing bark).

Zero smoke ring and faint smoke, though granted, moist and flavourful meat with *excellent* bark.

What pisses me off is the inconsistency.  One day, I'll make excruciatingly terrific brisket, complete with ring; the next, a deeply-flawed pork shoulder.  If I'm doing the same damn thing the same way over time, the results should be vaguely within the same range of results.  Grr.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,803
    edited December 2014
    Options

I do run mine a bit hotter- 250-275 calibrated dome- never flip---Though not needed I keep a water a raised water pan underneath for drippings that I don't want to burn- I only use RO as it is readily available- Brisket I did this weekend never even opened the dome until I was ready to probe @ about hour 12......maybe it's the rub.The smoke ring really is "for looks". and is, I believe, nitric acid absorbing back into the meat--you can "fake it" with stuff like tender quick---Me I never even look @ it, but its always there...... Here is a for a good link to rings Mythbusting The Smoke Ring

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    I have never had a problem with pork butts lacking smoke flavor or even picking up some smoke ring. I usually cook around 250 dome and it takes roughly 2 hours per pound to get to the finish line. the last two I cooked took 18 hours and I put about 12 chunks of hickory layered through with the rockwood. I also never flip and cook fat cap down, bark is even and very edible.imageimage

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Never have had a problem here with smoke ring...never add wood after starting...you have to be doing something different than me. What type of smoke ring are you looking for ??image

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    @biggreenmatt‌- I certainly get what you are saying. I usually don't have a issue picking up a light smoke flavor or a faint smoke ring when using the egg. But I concur that it's much harder to replicate stick burner results on a Kamado when it comes to smoke profile and a great smoke ring. Why? First and foremost, a Kamado uses smoldering lump and/or wood instead of burning wood. No matter how much wood you use in a Kamado you will never match a true stick burner or vertical for smoke flavor and ring generation unless you cheat by adding nitrates. However I can attain acceptable results by using dry chunks about the size of my fist. Usually 4-6 of them depending on the size of the meat. The biggest problem that I have noticed with using wood in a Kamado is that you can not get it to burn clean from the moment of ignition until it has been totally consumed. There is a period of time due to lack of sufficient oxygen that the wood off gases due to incomplete combustion and this is where the problem lies. On a off set with a established coal bed this is a non issue if using dry and properly seasoned wood. The wood ignites in mere seconds and burns clean for the duration. At the end of the day, the egg is a excellent all around cooker without question. But it will never duplicate stick burner results. In its defense, it was not designed to do so. Again, while I can get a decent smoke profile and a decent smoke ring on the egg, I cannot replicate this on the egg. image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I did an experiment a while back and I placed my amaze-n-smoker on top of my plate setter filled with hickory sawdust mixed with some cherry. The smoke flavor was intense on my pork butt. So it is an option u might want to try. Smoke flavor is personal preference at the end of the day. IMO.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    @biggreenmatt‌- This is just for a visual comparison. This is 2 different shots of the inside of Unit #6's firebox once it's up to temp. Notice that the smoke is so clear that the camera doesn't even pick it up. imageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Smoke ring has little to do with smoke. Humidity etc yes. The egg produces good product and yes even a "smoke ring".
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL