Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - HELP, SWMBO IS ANTI-EGG

Options

PROBLEM: When it comes to seasoning and flavor, the bride is a true Plain Jane! Except for salt. Through my kids I have been told she has negative comments on most things done on the Egg. For example, ribs too spicy. I only use dry rub on hers.(In her defense, I have been trying different dry rubs combinations each time is search of perfect rub so they may have a different taste each time.) Did a few briskets, had comments on that. She thinks pulled pork is better in a crook pot, etc. Others enjoy the food I cook on the Egg and often ask when I will be doing ribs, pulled pork, etc. Last night was the worst, came home from golf and was lighting Egg to do a whole turkey, only to discover she had put turkey into the oven.

Have others had this dilemma and if so how did you bring them around?

Comments

• GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options
    Yea, but with my luck her lawyer would go after the EGG!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    My dad's a picky eater, not a lot of spice etc...I usually cook his separate from everyone else. No marinade, s&p only sort of thing. Hard to do with a turkey, guess you could spatch and season one half. Also, try looking for a neutral lump like rockwood. I can understand that she doesn't like spices etc...but how can you pass on the juicy goodness of meat from an egg? Good luck!
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Cook 2 versions of the same meal for a while, that's right cook stuff for you and the rest of the family on the BGE than cook her something on the stove/in the oven/ hell boil it. That would take about one time at my house.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    @tarheelmatt - damn brother.. haha

@gasguy - You have a challenge ahead of ya. My advise would be to think outside he box to win her over. For example, trying cooking something ya'll haven't had in a while but you both like. If you try to cook something on the Egg that SHE normally cooks in the kitchen, you are going to always have comments (it's in a woman's DNA to do that). If she isn't a spice and/or spicy kinda person, then keep it calm. Not everything needs to be smothered in rubs, sauces, etc. in order for it to taste good.

As for the Turkey, there seems to be a failure to communicate there. Did you tell her you planned to do the Turkey on the Egg? I tell my wife ahead of time when I plan on cooking something on the Egg.
  • GASGUY
    Options

Thanks for feedback, I left out when I do steaks on the grill she does love them, but again simply salt and pepper seasoning.

Zarcon, pattern has been whenever I bring home food it goes on the egg. Like brisket, ribs, pizza, pork butt, pizza, etc.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited October 2014
    Options
    GASGUY said:
    Yea, but with my luck her lawyer would go after the EGG!
    @GASGUY, in this case you must get a better lawyer than her.  I mean she really don't like the food off of this grill anyway.  

Yep, kick her to the curb brother.  

Edit: I do hope you understand I am joking, right?  Well, somewhat... 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NervousDad
    Options
    Pulled pork is pretty good in the crock pot, but it is loaded with fat. Instead of the fat rendering off in the egg it sits in it.

My wife is the same, she does not like seasoning at all except for a ton of salt and no smoke. She is slowly but surely coming around :)

Aurora,OH
  • EggBaker81
    Options

Hate to say it, if you love her (which I assume you do, since you married her..), you may have to figure out what she DOES like about the egg.. One of the most important things I learned about cooking was the KISS approach (Keep It Simple Stupid)  You may need to tone back some of the overt flavors for more subtle ones, and work a little more spice in over time... If she is opposed to smoke flavor, try adjusting your temp with the bottom draft door and open your daisy wheel all the way, allowing it to vent the smoke better

Part of the magic of the egg is how little you NEED to add to have things turn out great...

I am about to post dinner shots from last night, the ONLY thing I used to make this simple meal ridiculously good was Outdoor Home Steak and Roast rub (I put that stuff on everything now that I have found it :) )

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't really see a problem here. Lots of proteins are great with just S&P. Just change your ratio based on how much salt the protein needs and give it some character with different kinds of wood.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    My wife is pretty much the same. She likes flavorful, not necessarily spiced or hot. Many of the things I cook for her have just some seasoned salt or plain salt. She doesn't even like pepper. I'll do a chicken that's half covered in rub for me and the other half cooked the way she likes it.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

She was pissed at you for playing golf. 

The turkey in the oven was passive aggression. 

As fas as the egg, I don't have that problem. My wife doesn't cook day to day. 

There has only been two thinks I've done that she hasn't liked. BLT soup w/ leftover shredded chicken. Can't remember the other.

Have you made pizza - kids make their own?

White Chicken Chille?

Fajitas?

I also saw my Egg dealer had a new brand of lump. Asked why and was told it did not contain the smokey taste of BGE lump. Said people use it for baking, cookies, etc.  May want to try something like that. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GASGUY
    Options

I tried a few options such as leaving ribs and pulled pork naked (no rub or sauce). Problem is much of the flavor we are after is lost, and cooking two separate meals can be a pain in the Ass.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Stop using rubs on her ribs, cook hers plain, let her salt them on her plate.
    Do the same with chicken, spatchcock or cut up as individual pieces, cook hers with no seasoning.
    Get a small crockpot, when cooking pulled pork, let her have a smaller chunk of shoulder meat to cook in the crock while you egg the lion's share.
    My wife is not a big meat eater, so I have to work around her on somethings.  she doesn't like steak, so I will let her have whatever she wants when I'm cooking steak for my son & I.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Ever tried ribs and pulled pork with just salt or salt and pepper?  It is pretty good, in my humble opinion.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • XC242
    Options
    GASGUY said:

I tried a few options such as leaving ribs and pulled pork naked (no rub or sauce). Problem is much of the flavor we are after is lost, and cooking two separate meals can be a pain in the Ass.

Dude, we're trying to help as best we can, after all, you asked for our advice. I don't think there's a magic bullet here... I know I've tried to adjust my cooking methods and styles to suit my wife's tastes.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Do S&P only, don't add any wood for smoke, and use a low smoke lump like Rockwood.  Problem solved.  I think a lot of people get too aggressive with wood smoke and it makes everything taste similar.  Keep it simple and everyone will be happy.  Happy wife = Happy life.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    My wife is a huge fan of Jane's Mixed Up Salt and also the pepper version.  I haven''t read the label so I don't know if they are just a mix of salt and pepper but it works for her.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • GASGUY
    Options

Starting to see a pattern......... keep cooking her stuff naked, or give up seeing her naked again!!!!!

• XC242
    Options
    Ya, that's about it. Also I'm always asking for direct feedback about what she, and my daughter, think of the food, it gives them the opportunity to have their say right away. Is there something else going on here, are you doing more cooking than before and does that bother her? I was lucky, my wife was more than happy to let me take over the bulk of the cooking when I retired, that's when I bought my egg. However, it also meant she needed to kinda put up with what I've been bringing in from the patio.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    GASGUY said:

Starting to see a pattern......... keep cooking her stuff naked, or give up seeing her naked again!!!!!

Quite possibly. :)

Couple of thoughts... Try some non spicy seasonings like Herbes de Provence or lemon pepper seasoning or just the s&p others have mentioned. Also, are you letting the lump burn off the VOCs. I assume you are since YOU think it tastes good, but thought I'd mention it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GASGUY
    Options

XC242, actually we share cooking meals evenly. Her mostly during the week, me the weekends. She has no problems with someone else doing the cooking.

I realized there's no easy solution to my dilemma, just wondering if others Egg Heads had similar issues and how they were able to get around it. Just need to find something to bring her around.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You mentioned ribs,butts,brisket and a turkey. All are big cuts and sometimes more involved cooks. Try the more simple approach, chicken breast,pork chops,shrimp and steaks. Maybe she's just not a fan of the big meats. That's kinda how my wife is.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    GASGUY said:

No...don't cook her stuff naked. Use S&P for everything, hers and yours. You'll be surprised how well it works. Then, she'll get naked or make you a sammich.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Sell your egg to me. That will teach her a lesson for sure. :D
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Did she like what you cook with gas before you got the egg?  If they weren't ribs, butts, briskets and turkey, have you tried cooking those in the egg?
    canuckland
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Could it possibly be content? Maybe she is a fish over brisket type of person? I've had to find a common ground on meals that we can both enjoy. Just something that I've encountered.
  • GASGUY
    Options
    Appreciate all the suggestions, helps to see things from a different prospectus. Keep them coming. Will consider any ideas except selling my Egg!!!! Thanks.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    SWMBO is a super taster. I have cooked her ribs with no seasoning, in foil to keep the smoke off and then sauced with her favourite very plain BBQ sauce while my ribs are dry and well seasoned. 
    Chicken breast is another "Don't put anything on mine" cook, unless it is souvlaki which is her favourite, we have it a lot. I think it is the smoke she finds more offensive than the seasoning. Once I dialled that back and go with just the neutral lump on many cooks, she (hence me) is much happier. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!