Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - BlackStone (pizza lovers must click)

Comments

• stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    No clue why it's upside down...
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.

• My goal has always been to create a Neapolitan Pizza.  A caputo 00, water, salt and sourdough starter only dough that is cooked at 750-900* stone temps and higher temps above the pie. True NP pizza is cooked in less than 90 seconds. I got my first egg for BBQ and my second egg (1st medium, 2nd XL) for the same except I always hoped for Neopolitan pizza from it.  I gave up after a month or so.

@rtt121 OK, so here's my question: why is cooking one of these kinds of pies on the Egg so difficult?  I'm not questioning you that it is, but it seems to me I've seen people on this forum cooking them.  Is it just quite a bit easier on one of these Blackstones or a WFO?

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited February 2014

My goal has always been to create a Neapolitan Pizza.  A caputo 00, water, salt and sourdough starter only dough that is cooked at 750-900* stone temps and higher temps above the pie. True NP pizza is cooked in less than 90 seconds. I got my first egg for BBQ and my second egg (1st medium, 2nd XL) for the same except I always hoped for Neopolitan pizza from it.  I gave up after a month or so.

@rtt121 OK, so here's my question: why is cooking one of these kinds of pies on the Egg so difficult?  I'm not questioning you that it is, but it seems to me I've seen people on this forum cooking them.  Is it just quite a bit easier on one of these Blackstones or a WFO?

The difficulty is in getting the pizza stone to 700+ while at the same time creating 900-1000*+ above it.  And then keep it that way.    As I mentioned, I think cooking ONE is doable but its not a gaurantee you will time it perfectly.. if its too soon you get a pie that just isnt any good (talking about caputo dough here) and if it is too late you get a burnt bottom in about 20 seconds.  I have made many beautiful NP pies on the egg, the bottoms were just scorched unedible.

Not to mention that even attempting one pie you need a full load of lump that will be gone when you are done whether you are successful or not.  Not to mention  burning out your gasket on every attempt.

I can't speak for results anyone else is getting or has gotten.  All I can say is I have tried and been diligent and experimented over the course of a few years.  My conclusion was no more pizza on the egg.  (NY style pies you can do just fine, but I am going to use BS for those now too)

Edit:  Another note:  Cooking pies at temps this hot... the pie needs to be checked on multiple times (even in a 1 minute cook).  This can't be done in the egg as the dome has to be opened.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • @rtt121 - that was very useful, thanks!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • rtt121
    You are very welcome
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    stantrb said:
    No clue why it's upside down...
    I suspect you took the pic with a cell phone. With mine, they sometimes come out sideways or upside down on here. Rotate the phone 90° counterclockwise next time. I think anyway.

Nice setup. One of these days I'd love to have a WFO.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stantrb
    With problem with trying to do a pizza napolitana in an Egg is that an Egg isn't a Neapolitan wood oven. It works on fundamentally different principles and behaves in a different way. It's like making toast under your broiler vs. using a toaster. You can do it, but it requires a lot more futzing around and there's a much greater chance of error.

Look. Despite what BGE corporate says, their kamados aren't designed to operate for any length of time at 800+*. The bands start to get loose and the dome can fall out. Wood burning oven domes can get almost twice that hot with no issues. It's different technologies.

If you want a multitool of a cooker that can make a perfectly good pizza at 650F in around 10 minutes, an Egg is fine. If you want to make a VPN, you've got to have a different kind of machine.

FWIW, if I'm making 1 or 2 pies, I adjust my dough and use the Egg. 4 or more is worth firing my oven.
  • rtt121
    And if we are being technical.  A wood oven is not necessarily a Neapolitan wood oven.  Though only an expert pizzaiola could tell the difference (shape of dome)
    stantrb said:
    With problem with trying to do a pizza napolitana in an Egg is that an Egg isn't a Neapolitan wood oven.
  • stantrb
    rtt121 said:

And if we are being technical.  A wood oven is not necessarily a Neapolitan wood oven.  Though only an expert pizzaiola could tell the difference (shape of dome)

True, but I'm not convinced a Neapolitan oven is needed to make a vera pizza napolitana. My oven isn't a Neapolitan, but it will bake a 90 second pie with leopard spotting. My Egg threatens to fall apart when I try that.
  • rtt121
    edited February 2014
    Agreed... my research tells me a a true neapolitan oven is only necessary if you are baking 1000 pies a day.  example: Una Pizza Napoletana.  I know when he first opened in NY he has his brick oven built only to tear it out and have a neapolitan pizza oven constructed.

I would be perfectly happy with your beautiful Primavera
  • deeoh01
    deeoh01 Posts: 1
    stantrb said:
    With problem with trying to do a pizza napolitana in an Egg is that an Egg isn't a Neapolitan wood oven. It works on fundamentally different principles and behaves in a different way. It's like making toast under your broiler vs. using a toaster. You can do it, but it requires a lot more futzing around and there's a much greater chance of error. Look. Despite what BGE corporate says, their kamados aren't designed to operate for any length of time at 800+*. The bands start to get loose and the dome can fall out. Wood burning oven domes can get almost twice that hot with no issues. It's different technologies. If you want a multitool of a cooker that can make a perfectly good pizza at 650F in around 10 minutes, an Egg is fine. If you want to make a VPN, you've got to have a different kind of machine. FWIW, if I'm making 1 or 2 pies, I adjust my dough and use the Egg. 4 or more is worth firing my oven.
    I've made some perfectly good pies on my egg, but you're right - if you want a really good VPN an egg isn't the way to go. 

I bought a Pizzeria Pronto last year (my wife works for a cookware/kitchen retailer so I got 40% off) and it has been working really well so far. Great little oven that runs on a grill tank and pies normally take about 3 minutes. The great thing about it is it doesn't lose heat due to opening it up to put pies in and take them out. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    rtt121 said:

My goal has always been to create a Neapolitan Pizza.  A caputo 00, water, salt and sourdough starter only dough that is cooked at 750-900* stone temps and higher temps above the pie. True NP pizza is cooked in less than 90 seconds. I got my first egg for BBQ and my second egg (1st medium, 2nd XL) for the same except I always hoped for Neopolitan pizza from it.  I gave up after a month or so.

The difficulty is in getting the pizza stone to 700+ while at the same time creating 900-1000*+ above it.  And then keep it that way.    As I mentioned, I think cooking ONE is doable but its not a gaurantee you will time it perfectly.. if its too soon you get a pie that just isnt any good (talking about caputo dough here) and if it is too late you get a burnt bottom in about 20 seconds.  I have made many beautiful NP pies on the egg, the bottoms were just scorched unedible.

Not to mention that even attempting one pie you need a full load of lump that will be gone when you are done whether you are successful or not.  Not to mention  burning out your gasket on every attempt.

I can't speak for results anyone else is getting or has gotten.  All I can say is I have tried and been diligent and experimented over the course of a few years.  My conclusion was no more pizza on the egg.  (NY style pies you can do just fine, but I am going to use BS for those now too)

Edit:  Another note:  Cooking pies at temps this hot... the pie needs to be checked on multiple times (even in a 1 minute cook).  This can't be done in the egg as the dome has to be opened.
    Post from Feb, but I have similar results in experimentation and agree 100% with your findings.  Pizzas are no longer egged, not ruling it out though.  All it takes is 10-15 minutes.  Turn on Blackstone, open dough, top, cook for 90-120 seconds, done including the preheat.  No chopping wood or tending fires the entire day to preheat.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate a WFO and it's capabilities, but I don't want to make a project out of it either, especially for one pie.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    @focker  - those 3 pics look absolutely perfect!  

It is official . . . . Blackstone has jumped ahead of the Anova Souse Vide to claim the #1 spot on my wish list.  The list is very fluid but pizza is our fav.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    NDG said:
    @focker  - those 3 pics look absolutely perfect!  

It is official . . . . Blackstone has jumped ahead of the Anova Souse Vide to claim the #1 spot on my wish list.  The list is very fluid but pizza is our fav.

You will love the B.S.. Turns out great pies and so quick and easy. 

I did my first steak in it last night.

I have two dough balls waiting for this evening. Can't wait.

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I typically cook NY style at > 650. And if you follow this forum, there are lots of peeps who regularly get their BGE well north of 900. :) 
  • rtt121
    @NDG

Did you get it?!
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

My latest pie off the b.s.

pie.jpg 72.9K
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    +1 to what @stantrb said.  I sell both egg and WFO.  Different tools for different purposes.  I'll never understand why guys would want to subject their ceramics to such temps when its not intended for that purpose.
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    OK, I might be in trouble... The Blackstone is on sale for $269 at Lowe's until 12/31.

This might be an early Christmas gift to my family. :D
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited October 2014
    @rtt121 . . . I did not pull the trigger yet, but really like the sound of that sale!  I just got a PS4 this week and sold it to my wife as "the best blueray player on planet earth" so I might need a little time off before trying to pull another rabbit out of my hat.  Regardless, Nice bump.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    I've GOT to have that.
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    Not to hijack, but I got thrown for a loop before I opened the thread.

I own BlackStone's other product.... the 36" x 18" gas griddle.  I absolutely love the thing, super fast, super versatile.  Breakfast, diner food, Hibachi-style Japanese, fajitas, Philly Cheesesteaks... whatever.  There is a reason most restaurants have a big griddle in the kitchen.

When I read the thread title and clicked on it I was thinking "how in the hell did this guy make pizza on a BlackStone?!?!"  

Lol.  Wrong product.

Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    DMW said:

OK, I might be in trouble... The Blackstone is on sale for $269 at Lowe's until 12/31.

This might be an early Christmas gift to my family. :D
    @dmw 399 for my zip. What the hell?
  • DMW
    @Eggcelsior‌ let me know if you want me to pick one up for you. Not that far of a drive, could meet you half way or something. Or search other zips. Try mine (19543) to see if its a zip thing or something else.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    I think it was a Black Stone that I saw at Lowes few days ago, it was a floor display on clearance at 40% off, didn't pay much attention to it though.
    canuckland
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    edited October 2014
    Just bought one at Lowe's on Concord Pike, Wilmington Delaware - no sales tax, total price out the door $269
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • rtt121
    $269 is a deal.  It was worth the $400 I paid for it though.
  • DMW
    Just got mine assembled. Can't wait to fire it up. @Zippylip‌ Good deal on the DE trip. The tax savings wouldn't quite pay for the gas for me.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Forgot the pic.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    DMW said:
    Just got mine assembled. Can't wait to fire it up. @Zippylip‌ Good deal on the DE trip. The tax savings wouldn't quite pay for the gas for me.
    Fortunately I'm about 8 miles from the DE border & it's right there over the line which makes it about equidistant to the other close one in Downingtown so it's a no brainer for me...
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania