Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Legion of the Smalls.

Options
Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to start this tonight for all you night owls that cook on a small. Let's post some killer pics of the Smalls capabilities in hopes of someone stitching them into a video. I will dig mine out in the am. Post away all ye small owners!!!
Here's the first http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1171011/lovin-the-new-ci-on-the-small#latest

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    I'm a night owl but I don't have a small. Wish I could help. Sorry brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Wish I knew how to post a GIF from photo bucket on here… have a few from the #small or sometimes the cooker I refer to as "less-lumpy".
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Nekked Ham image Flounder (I think) image Little sear action image Mixed Berry Cobler image

analyze adapt overcome

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,662
    Options
    I usually delete my pictures after posting. I'll see if I can come up with any that I haven't gotten rid of.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    Options
    @shtgunal3‌
    You can click on your user name and then click discussions and then select the post that your pics were in. It's a handy way to retrieve pics from the past.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• shtgunal3
    Options
    Good point @sgh good point. Didn't think about that.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    Options
    @shtgunal3‌
    Glad to help my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Here's a few.

Swordfish Steaks:

Cedar Planked Salmon Fillets:

Deep Dish Pizza:

Breaded Cod:

Pork Butt:

Spare Ribs:

BBQ Rib Pizza:

Blackened Tiapia Destined for Fish Tacos:

Pork Chops:

Bacon Wrapped Tator Tots:
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    Tails, steaks and sweet taters
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Big enough for a swing rack

*Not sure why the pic is still sideways after clicking on it. It should fix itself after drinking a 12 pack
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @dmw tell me about the breaded cod. Did you use mayo? I do something similar with mayo and panko crumbs but have yet to do it on the egg.
  • DMW
    Options
    @Eggcelsior
    Here's the recipe, we just didn't cut them into strips. SWMBO prepped them, I just put them on indirect like an oven.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited September 2014
    Options
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Half of a pork loin for pulled pork image And wings for one image

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    A bit of wokkin imageimage

analyze adapt overcome

• DMW
    Options
    @Mattman3969 Great idea using the veggie basket as a wok ring!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• shtgunal3
    Options
    Here's a couple of pics of the outside of the small that I thought were cool. I stole the idea of the dome pic from @cazzy . I'll try and post some pics with food on the small later.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:

Here's a couple of pics of the outside of the small that I thought were cool. I stole the idea of the dome pic from @cazzy . I'll try and post some pics with food on the small later.

Looks good. Influence maybe...but I see no thievery. The composition is completely different and it tells a different story. I like the light shining in...lots of transitions in the light too. Great pic!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    @cazzy thanks man. Now if I can just learn to post them correctly.

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
  • cazzy
    edited September 2014
    Options
    It's a Small World

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    Okay-no 8x11 color glossies or other SBGE pics (I don't do many pics in general) but given the smaller lump volume do you tend to go with chips vs chunks?  (Asking as I a recently acquired a SBGE).  Today I had a choice between chips and chunks (same smoke wood) and went with the chips-figured I needed the difference in volume for lump to ensure the cook runs for the long duration.   BTW-first L&S on the SBGE so a learning curve for future adventures.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @cazzy what is the device you have attached below the handle?
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Many fine oriental dishes.  

These configurations all work, just depends on what I am cooking, my mood  and my setup for something else. These are all on my small.  No need to close the top in my eggsperience.

12" round bottom on raised grate:

12" round bottom on firering:

14" wood handle flat bottom firering:

14" flat bottom wood handle on  raised grate:

But since I got my new toy almost never use wok on BGE anymore unless am at my friends house where she has a large and medium: This is a 14" flat bottom with wood handle, also I use a 16" round bottom with single metal handle for larger meals. 

• cazzy
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    @cazzy what is the device you have attached below the handle?
    It's a Weber Grill Light.  Works pretty good and turns on automagically when you lift the dome.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Okay-no 8x11 color glossies or other SBGE pics (I don't do many pics in general) but given the smaller lump volume do you tend to go with chips vs chunks?  (Asking as I a recently acquired a SBGE).  Today I had a choice between chips and chunks (same smoke wood) and went with the chips-figured I needed the difference in volume for lump to ensure the cook runs for the long duration.   BTW-first L&S on the SBGE so a learning curve for future adventures.  

For chicken I use a handful of chips right before the bird. Long cooks such as chuckies I will use smaller chunks or chunks that I split up a bit. Lately for chicken I have been throwing a 4" peach branch in and it has works great.

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    @cazzy - that makes my small look way underused!!! Thanks for the pics.

analyze adapt overcome

• shtgunal3
    Options
    @lousubcap‌ I use smaller chunks

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    @Mattman3969-thanks for the inputs.  I will eggsperiment and run with it-no peach in this part of the Commonwealth-but don't need another option I am easily confused with the current smoke wood supply.  :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.