Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Omaha Steaks

Has anyone ordered meat from Omaha Steaks? I have heard mixed reviews but I keep getting sale emails on their filets. It's tempting.....
Dallas, TX

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    They are too thin for me

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • I got a package as a gift last year. I wasn't that impressed. It is funny you mentioned this today because I got a call from them on Friday verifying my address for a delivery that will be coming to me on Tuesday. I told them I didn't order anything, and he said it was from someone else. 

He wouldn't tell me who it was from, but he said it would come with a card. It is being sent to my office so I am sure it is business related, but I don't have a clue who it is from. 

I will let you know what I get and take a few pics. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    @johnkitchens That doesn't sound to bad. If only they delivered beer.
    Dallas, TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    If you look at them at a "cost-per-meal" basis, they're not too bad (if you don't mind a small steak).  However, once in their records, they spam you to death; mailed fliers a couple times a week, emails EVERY DAY, and phone calls a couple times a week.  I finally lost my temper and demanded they remove my name from their records altogether, which they did.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Tried them once, did not like them.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • TN2TX
    MeTed said:
    Tried them once, did not like them.
    Was the meat bad? Why didn't you like? 
    Dallas, TX
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    @TN2TX No, the meat was not terrible just average, but the steaks were very thin and small, and I did not like the high pressure sales tactic.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • Mine were a gift so I didn't have to deal with the high pressure sales etc, but I agree with @MeTed concerning the tiny little thin steaks. 

Nothing like I am used to. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Their food is OK, although overpriced when you figure in shipping. I can get just as good a meat from my local meat market, (once you get to know the butcher). I grew up in Omaha. Early in my childhood I learned the value of getting to know the butcher. Especially after USDA changed the beef grading scale in 1997 (today, Prime is hard to get and today's USDA "Choice" beef ain't the same Choice beef I got when I was a kid).

Here in Minnesota, it's hard to routinely come by great beef, unlike Omaha, but it's possible to do it without spending an arm and a leg getting some company to mail you medium-level restaurant-quality beef and 10 lbs of dry ice.
  • I bought a package for my Dad a few years ago. He wasn't impressed with the steaks, but said the burgers were pretty good. They lost me as a customer though by hassling me with their sales tactics.
    LBGE  Sanibel, FL
  • Have received them as gifts and have purchased them using rewards points from the bank.  They come packed well in heavy duty cardboard boxes in a styrofoam cooler that is kept cold with dry ice. The steaks, as have been mentioned, are thin--thinner than most thin cut steaks found in grocery stores.  Each steak is individually vacuum packed and the portion sizes are small.  If you want the convenience of individually packaged portions that are small, go for it. For value, you can do better at your local grocery store and have fresh meat
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I ordered from them once. I remember that the burgers and hot dogs were maybe above average, and the steaks were just ok, on the small side. Nothing seemed any better than I could get at my super market. Never felt an need to order from them again. I do not remember getting too many high pressure sales tactics like others have said.

I have ordered from Allen Brothers several times (although not for a couple years), and their steaks were awesome, but pricey.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • TN2TX
    Doesn't sound like a great buy. Thanks for all the input!
    Dallas, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited September 2014
    Now if you want to spend upscale $$ on beef check out these two sites:
    http://www.snakeriverfarms.com and http://www.lobels.com/default.aspx After you recover from the sticker shock then go forth and enjoy.  I'm sure there are others out there as well.  Not a cook you would want to hose up:)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've received Omaha Steaks as gifts several times.  Steaks were ok, didn't like the burgers.  Just last year I recieved a Prime Rib roast, which was the best I ever cooked.
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    And the coolers they pack them in are great to use for FTC.
    Now if you want to spend upscale $$ on beef check out these two sites:
    http://www.snakeriverfarms.com and http://www.lobels.com/default.aspx After you recover from the sticker shock then go forth and enjoy.  I'm sure there are others out there as well.  Not a cook you would want to hose up:)>-
    Agree - great meats. Also Snake River has a lower cost affiliate called Double R :

Glad to see you are posting, was afraid one of us might have committed suicide! Still, Go A's.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    There is a great meat market in Lewisville called Old Town Meat Market same family owned since 1977. Great butchers.

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• TN2TX
    H12mike said:
    There is a great meat market in Lewisville called Old Town Meat Market same family owned since 1977. Great butchers.
    Haven't been but I'll check it out. I usually go to Central Market. They have a good selection and very helpful. 
    Dallas, TX
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Overpriced and not that great.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • you can do better at a local butcher around here. Sales emails all go in the spam folder.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I think they're like steaks, only smaller.  I would never buy for myself, what would I do with a 4 oz filet?  Give me a good butcher any day.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Used to buy from them all the time, but they got expensive and serving sizes decreased, but, their hot dogs are the best I've ever had. They have these augraten potatoes that are to die for.
  • You're right about the coolers, really nice. When we were buying from them alot, we had people waiting to get one the coolers from me.
  • Not wanting to hijack this Omaha steaks thread, but has anyone had any experience with Allen Brothers Steaks? I had heard their products were good...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Might I suggest Rube's from Montour, Iowa.  Great assortment of fine Iowa raised meats that I've never heard anyone complain about. They have a cook your own steak house also and there is generally a wait to get in.

http://www.rubessteaks.com/Meat_Shop_s/1817.htm
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482

Might I suggest Rube's from Montour, Iowa.  Great assortment of fine Iowa raised meats that I've never heard anyone complain about. They have a cook your own steak house also and there is generally a wait to get in.

http://www.rubessteaks.com/Meat_Shop_s/1817.htm

Man I haven't been to that place in a long time. It's a little slice steak heaven in a little town in Iowa. The beef is all finished with grain to sweeten the meat up. I highly recommend having a meal there first where you can cook it yourself. The have a 16 oz filet, 26 oz t-bone, 28 oz sirloin and a 16 pork chop. They are all over an 1" thick.

http://www.rubessteaks.com/mobile/default.aspx
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • These guys at TTU have some quality meat

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/meatscience/orders/

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited September 2014
    Not wanting to hijack this Omaha steaks thread, but has anyone had any experience with Allen Brothers Steaks? I had heard their products were good...
    If you want to spend the coin to impress someone I highly recommend Allen Brothers! I swear the best meat I have ever eaten was an aged 18 pound ribeye than renowned chef Kevin Rathbun egged for us in Chicago at Carmicheal's Steak House at a "different Eggfest" only held for 2 years. Man that was to die for!!! I recall checking the AB price when I got home and that chunk-o-cow had sold for $300!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.