Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Parent milestone :D

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
First driving lesson with my baby girl. Makes me think about when my momma taught me (sniff sniff boy I miss her).

We're starting off slow...just turning and braking. No gas!! I'm winging it so I figured this would make her less nervous.

Can you see the fear and excitement? :P
photo 2014-08-15 20.45.34_zpsjqk7lv6t.jpg
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Look forward to teaching my kids, great bonding time!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2014
    You were able to get off a pic so that's a + ie you're nails aren't embedded in the dashboard :)). The years go by quickly that's for sure. Our Son turns 20 in 2months. Crazy!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Brings back nice memories - we live just over the river from a huge industrial park on an island. I'd drive over, find a big wide open parking lot and hand her the keys. Great way to learn, she took lessons from a pro, but the basic starting, stopping and driving was done in an empty lot. 

Went through this tree times, 2Xboy, 1Xgirl - you've got a bigger group to get through this rite of passage. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2014
    Wait, I thought you was 23? ;)
  • cazzy
    edited August 2014

Wait, I thought you was 23? ;)

Yeah 23 with a 15 yo.

• Eggcelsior
    Wow. I torched grammar there. Were 23. Stupid alcohol.
  • cazzy

Wow. I torched grammar there. Were 23. Stupid alcohol.

Lol...good alcohol. Haha
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Caz, you're getting super old. Give up now.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy

Caz, you're getting super old. Give up now.

No kidding, right?
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    I'd suggest getting her to back away from the projectile in the steering wheel.
    HFX NS
  • cazzy
    Nsdexter said:

I'd suggest getting her to back away from the projectile in the steering wheel.

I hear ya 100%. I'm hoping she grows a lil more. She's only 4'9 so I just moved the seat close enough so that she could reach the pedals. She won't get her DL until she's 18.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited August 2014
    Our Son's final test w/ me was rush hour through Jax over 7 bridges in a hellashish rain and nor'easter. We made it home all-in-one piece after 150mi round trip and no finger nail marks in the dash and I didn't even press my imaginary brake pedal. Going over the Matthews Bridge with cross winds of 45-60 mph and same over the Dames Point Bridge he got my thumbs up. B-). Look up those bridges and you'll understand. I'm pretty sure once you get on the Dames Point people think it's the autobahn. >:)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm going through something similar, but in a different way. Teaching my dad to parallel park. He hasn't driven in the US in 27 years. It's been quite a trip. But he actually listens to me now... Sometimes :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I've taught 3 boys. Never as scared as I am now with my daughter. :-SS

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Brings back memories-best left forgotten:).  But reminds me of a great use of the car.  When you need to have those discussions about drugs, sex and other uncomfortable topics-just hop in the car at night and talk away.  Darkness really makes it easier to communicate.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    I love the TV commercial of the teen girl struggling alone in the rain to change her tire. Scary sight. When she was done, her Dad walked in from outside of camera range and said, "great job". I still haven't done that lesson with my two kid drivers.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I live a few blocks away from the Jr high where they have poles for parallel and 90 degree parking. Since the parking lot was empty I figured I would give it a try for old times sake. Man was I awful. I think I did better when I was 16 with my patents van! I can parallel park when needed between a couple cars but between two poles and nothing else around forget it
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggcelsior
    JethroVA said:

I love the TV commercial of the teen girl struggling alone in the rain to change her tire. Scary sight. When she was done, her Dad walked in from outside of camera range and said, "great job". I still haven't done that lesson with my two kid drivers.

Those Subie ads get to me too.
  • I took my daughter to her momma's cemetery to get the feel of how a car maneuvers. Curvy roads and no traffic worked out great for us.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I really understand these milestones now that I have a little one. These moments will be ones that you cherish to your grave. Parenting is an awesome thing!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That's not cazzy's daughter. It's his older sister. Dude is 12. First time I met him in SA he said he'd pick me up at the hotel. He pulls up on a ten speed. Little pimply face, peach fuzz freshman.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Well, as Dean Martin crooned long ago, "Memories are made of this".........................
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Eggcelsior
    henapple said:

That's not cazzy's daughter. It's his older sister. Dude is 12. First time I met him in SA he said he'd pick me up at the hotel. He pulls up on a ten speed. Little pimply face, peach fuzz freshman.

Is his bike named "nocturnal emissions"?
  • cazzy

henapple said:

Is his bike named "nocturnal emissions"?
    =))
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I think he calls it "socks".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    ^^^^^^^ =)) =)) =))

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Cazzy rides with determination!

Flint, Michigan
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Both my girls learned on a crappy Isuzu POS pickup with a manual transmission.  At least one of them had a boyfriend that could not drive the truck.  Daughter #1  drove that truck into the ground, and bought a new car within 2 weeks of getting her first job.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    WeberWho? said:
    I live a few blocks away from the Jr high where they have poles for parallel and 90 degree parking. Since the parking lot was empty I figured I would give it a try for old times sake. Man was I awful. I think I did better when I was 16 with my patents van! I can parallel park when needed between a couple cars but between two poles and nothing else around forget it
    I had to parallel a bus to get my CDL.  Never did that for real.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    cazzy said:
    First driving lesson with my baby girl. Makes me think about when my momma taught me (sniff sniff boy I miss her). We're starting off slow...just turning and braking. No gas!! I'm winging it so I figured this would make her less nervous. Can you see the fear and excitement? :P photo 2014-08-15 20.45.34_zpsjqk7lv6t.jpg
    Daddy, what's that thumping sound?  Oh,nothing, just me trying to put on the brakes.