Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

9 hour burgundy mushrooms - a kick butt side dish

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited August 2014 in EggHead Forum
These were a side dish with our Steak au poivre tonight. This recipe raced like a wildfire through Greeneggers.com 4 years ago. These mushrooms are still a favorite side of ours...and yes 9 hours is worth the effort!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    Mind sharing the recipe? Thanks.
    Austin, TX
  • RRP
    Mind sharing the recipe? Thanks.

Not at all but we've had a tiring day, so let me post it tomorrow! Ok? BTW I even served several pounds of these at the Peoria Eggfest a couple years ago and they were scarfed down as appetizers.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Looks excellent my friend. Standing by until tomorrow for the recipe.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pigoutsc
    pigoutsc Posts: 92
    Looking forward to seeing recipe. I love mushrooms!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I will definitely be looking for the recipe. That looks delicious @RRP‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited August 2014
    Gotta admit that my attention span will need some serious help to run past around 45 minutes much less than nine hours but I will give it a look since @RRP is a great cook and forum participant-not to mention the Rutland man!  Until 8/10!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    Yep, they are good. He is using Pioneer Woman's recipe. Meal in itself.
  • RRP
    EggerinLA said:
    Yep, they are good. He is using Pioneer Woman's recipe. Meal in itself.

I never said it was my recipe, but I have made some notes about our preferences that others might get some benefit from. I'll still post those tomorrow...Good night!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I'm a mushroom fiend. Can't wait for your notes.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Thanks for the link!  I look forward to your notes.
  • RRP
    Hello again, everyone. Last night @marysvilleksegghead had already posted this link to the recipe:

Over the years I have made this several times and the great thing about the finished dish is it can be divided and frozen so it can be enjoyed with ease even a couple years later! I simply know that for my wife and I we will be full sharing 16 to 18 of these finished mushrooms so I divide from there. BTW count wise I have found a 4 pound package will have around 80 mushrooms.

I follow the recipe for the most part except for the 5 cloves of garlic instead of just leaving them peeled I prefer them to be smashed and scattered. Also 2 teaspoons of salt is not enough for our tastes and I use 4 teaspoons of coarse kosher salt instead. Also to enhance the deep rich color I add 1 teaspoon of Kitchen Bouquet.

The first time I made it I used a good burgundy which cost me $15 for a standard 750 ml bottle. Since then I have found that cheaper Glenook Burgundy from Kroger works just as well! Just don't use any old stale burgundy which may have already started to turn sour and have a vinegar smell or taste.

Though the recipe says 9 hours be sure to keep a good eye on them the last 3 hours when cooking uncovered as the liquid may bubble and get too concentrated, so cut it to 7 or 8 hours if need be, but I like too run the 9 hours myself.

Lastly as for freezing I divvy up the mushrooms into Food saver bags and then divide the delicious "juice" amongst the number of FS bags. Be sure the juice is still warm and the butter has not yet started to firm up. I then fold over the edge and just place a bag clip on the bags and stand them upright in a shallow dish and place all in the freezer. The next day when frozen then I seal the FS bags. This does two things...keeps the juice from being sucked into the machine plus now being frozen the mushrooms will retain their shape and will not be flattened into a glob that they would have been if vacuum sealed while still flexible.

One last thing - these are rich!!!
  • RRP
    edited August 2014
    imageThe reason I use the Kitchen Bouquet...note the difference taken seconds apart:
  • RRP
    Oh and BTW the Steak au poivre itself was terrific! It was a mighty fine rib eye in itself, but Jaccarded to assure tenderness. And the cognac I used was Remy Martin! Between the steak and mushrooms it was a hearty, wonderful meal last night!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @RRP‌ Thanks for sharing this recipe Ron. I will without a doubt be trying this in the future. It looks positively delicious!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @RRP‌
    Man that looks excellent. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the link. This is now high up on the to do list for sure.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Bookmarked! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited August 2014

YES it is a great recipe.  Someone think Ron got it from Pioneer Woman:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/09/burgundy-mushrooms/
    Have made several batches over the last few years, even tried for 9 hours in a high crock pot--did not like the crockpot as well as the original. Remember them well. Every time I go in Winn Dixie (about twice a week) I cruise the shroom section and when they are on sale or drastically marked down grab 4-5 #s' and make a pot. PS they freeze  very well in portion size food saver bags.

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Wow, I will be trying this, thank you for sharing.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• RRP

I already said it wasn't my recipe and I already posted the link to her recipe, but thanks anyway Richard...
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Thanks for sharing the pics and all Ron. The steak with remy's must be delicious my friend. Great post.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited August 2014

Have made several batches over the last few years, even tried for 9 hours in a high crock pot--did not like the crockpot as well as the original. Remember them well. Every time I go in Winn Dixie (about twice a week) I cruise the shroom section and when they are on sale or drastically marked down grab 4-5 #s' and make a pot. PS they freeze  very well in portion size food saver bags.

What's with the tude? Ron made it clear it was just a great recipe and not his when he said "This recipe raced like a wildfire through Greeneggers.com 4 years ago"
    I know I immediately did a search and found quite a few resources that all named the source.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • EggerinLA
    EggerinLA Posts: 186
    Thank you Pioneer Woman. I made these several times. She has some great recipes.
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Excellant. I will do these next weekend with a brisket. Thanks
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks fantastic!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA