Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pushing the new mini to the "MAX". Turbo Ribs

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Just to see. Rolled up a rack of baby backs and hooked them. On the mini for a test run. Wish me luck!imageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SGH
    The plan is to flip every 30 minutes since this is a direct cook. That was part of the reason for the meat hooks.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hahahaha I love it!!!!! Reading about your cooks is 1/2 culinary school, 2/3 down home country cooking, and 7/8 just dang fun. Incase you were wondering that adds up to 1 ball of awesome!!!

Enjoy that rib donut brother!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    FYI, they make a plate setter for the mini now if you are interested in having one for indirects.
  • SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    Thanks my friend. Glad that you enjoy them. I'm really hoping that this works well. If it does I'm going to try it with a "parted" out pork shoulder. Again thanks brother Chilly.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @pgprescott‌
    One come with my mini. The guy forgot to bring it. My wife is picking it up on Monday though. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    First flip and they are actually looking pretty good. Maybe this is going to work after all.imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• GaDadx3
    GaDadx3 Posts: 41
    Looks great!
    LBGE, Suwanee, Ga
  • SGH
    @GaDadx3‌
    Thanks my friend. I'm really hoping that this works. The biggest concern that I have at this point is I'm getting a lot of smoke from the renderings . We shall see though. No turning back now!image

Status- Standing by.

• GaDadx3
    GaDadx3 Posts: 41
    Lol. Most of the fun is in the trying. It's all an adventure!
    LBGE, Suwanee, Ga
  • SGH
    @GaDadx3‌
    That is so true my friend. There is nothing that I enjoy more than trying new ways to cook something. Well said and 100% correct brother!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited August 2014
    45 minutes in and time for the third flip. The ribs are dark enough at this point so I dropped temp from 325 to 265 to try to prevent them from over darkening. So far it's working like a charm even though I'm cooking direct. The slight temp modification and I'm back on track. image

Status- Standing by.

• Looking good brother! What are you cooking over (I'm guessing either OO or RW), and what smoke wood are ya working with (if any)?
  • SGH
    Brother Chilly this is just Rockwood only. No wood. This is a base line test for the lump. Tomorrow I'm doing another rack on the mini with just Ozark Oak and no wood to establish a base line as well. I love both lumps but I'm trying to determine if one is truly superior to the other. This is a apples to apples test if you will. Hence no wood. Lump only. Thanks for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited August 2014
    For anyone contemplating cooking ribs DIRECT on the mini 265 degrees seems to be ideal. Due to confined space + reflective heat from the ceramics 325 degrees proved to be to hot. The color on the ribs was set 50 minutes premature. Just thought I would share my findings.image

Status- Standing by.

• Very cool! I can't wait to hear your impressions after you've finished both cooks. Just a wild guess after a few cooks... But I'm betting OO will SHINE on that type of cook!! =P~

Wish I could be there to taste test my friend!
  • SGH
    Just unhooked and unrolled the ribs for the bend test. Not quite ready so back on the mini. I'm leaving them unhooked for the remainder of the cook so it's easier to perform the bend test. They remained rolled and hooked up to this point though.image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited August 2014
    @ChillyWillis‌
    I'm betting that on fish, foul and poultry that the RW wins by a nose. On beef and pork especially the very large unparted out primals that OO wins by a nose. Just a hunch that I have about confirmed. Now bear in mind that this is if one only uses lump and no added wood. I will post my conclusion and how I reached it when I have completed a few more cooks. But I think what I said above will prove true in the end. That is why I'm getting a half pallet of each. They both really shine on certain meats.

Status- Standing by.

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    That is Mrs. SGH's! You need to play with your own toys and let her have her fun!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • I agree wholeheartedly. I love OO with beef, my first cook was a tri tip roast and it was phenomenal. RW sings like an angel on chicken (and I prefer it for sausage cooks as well). I'm still trying to see what I enjoy more with pork....

To be honest my favorite part is just trying different cooks over these wonderful lumps. This forum has really opened my eyes!!
  • SGH
    @PNWFoodie‌
    I agree. But the ribs are for her and at her request and she wanted them cooked on her egg. She is very tired tonight so she agreed to let me use her mini. Short of that I will not get to use hers much. The good news is that I have a mini of my own on the way!!

Status- Standing by.

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited August 2014
    @SGH‌ A mini of your own on the way? I request a OO vs RW rib donut mini cook off!!!!! 8-}
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    That is too, too funny! I hope you know I was just teasing you! Two mini's.....that's a whole lotta crow!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    I'm going to do a very in depth write up on both lumps when I complete my tests. In the interest of fairness I'm running both lumps through my vertical, my large BGE and my mini. Both direct and indirect. But so far you and I have already came up with some of the very same conclusions. All that I'm lacking at this point is a rib cook tomorrow with OO and then a bread and cheese cook and smoke. But I already know for sure that I want both RW and OO on hand at all times for different cooks. They are both par excellent to say the least my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited August 2014
    @PNWFoodie‌
    I know that you was just messing with me. But you got one thing absolutely correct. Two minis is a lot of crow! But honestly I love the little mini. Wish I would have bought one years ago. They are beyond awesome.

Status- Standing by.

• I can't wait to read the write up my brother!!!! It'll make good study material :-B

All I'm sure if at this point is there will be a large stack of OO, RW in my basement for a long long time (and probably some WGWW as well)
  • SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    You got it my friend. I will do them side by side just for you brother Chilly.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Ribs done yet? Waiting for results.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    @stemc33‌
    Pulling them in about 7 minutes and 32 seconds. They are looking good my friend!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @ChillyWillis‌
    How does the WGWW compare to RW & OO?

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    The ribs broke clean at the 2 hour 17 minute and 51 second mark. They are done. Time to eat my friends. Will let you know how they taste in a bit.image

Status- Standing by.