Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pushing the new mini to the "MAX". Turbo Ribs

Options

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    @SGH‌ WGWW is very very close to RW and OO. It was what I put in my egg whenever it was time to get serious before my firecraft order came in. Extremely clean burning, burns FOR EVER,and low ash at the end of the cook.

People around here love to talk about Fogo. I like fogo. I love WGWW RW and OO. :x
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The prep and cook on the mini with RW lump.imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    I now fully concur sir. The little mini is a outstanding little cooker. I did these ribs just to test the little mini out and it passed with flying colors. I cooked these ribs with less than a good handful of lump. One would be hard pressed to
    do any better with any other cooker. The results are in my friend. The mini wins. Wish I would have listened years ago. Next up on the mini........Pork shoulder !

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    How damn long to bite into a rib? Sure looked good
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    They are par excellent. The very same as cooking them on my large as far as taste. I'm doing another rack tomorrow on the mini with OO for a comparison.

Status- Standing by.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Impressive. This gives me an incentive to win a mini playing fantasy football.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    @stemc33‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Gotta love the mini! The ribs look great! Great idea with the meat hooks. I've done whole rolled racks of ribs on the mini before as well, but used bamboo skewers. I'd imagine your meat hook idea works even better.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Dyal_SC‌
    Thank you man. I was very pleased with the out come. Doing another rack on the mini tonight!

Status- Standing by.

• JRWesco
    JRWesco Posts: 57
    Options
    Can't wait to get my hands on a mini! @SGH‌ and the ribs look good =D>
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @SGH the ribs look great. Since you are going to have 2 minis you should get a woo even though you have a plate setter it makes cooking on the mini alot more fun. Another thing I would suggest is getting a bag of wicked good or fogo lump if you plan on doing bigger cooks like a shoulder. OO and Rockwood are good lumps but will not burn near as long as the other 2 mentioned above. I did a 6 pound shoulder in my mini at 300 and wicked good went the full cook I think it was 7-8 hours and still had another hour or so of lump left. Anyways another great cook from you and glad you like your mini.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Lit‌ @JRWesco‌
    Thank y'all for the kind words my friends. As much as I like the mini I can see me getting a woo real soon. I have heard some discussion of the woo not working with some minis. How do you distinguish if you have a mini that it will work with or not?

Status- Standing by.

• Lit
    Options
    Yours is fine that new style band you have has only been around for a couple years.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @sgh I think you just need to verify your grid is 10 inches in diameter, not 9.5.
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/small-a-mini-woo2.html

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt‌
    My grid measures 9.5. So what does that mean?

Status- Standing by.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks like your mini might have the older grid before the upgrade.  You can ask your dealer about getting an upgrade to the newer 10 inch grid.  

THE 9.5 INCH DIAMETER MINI GRID WILL NOT FIT THE MINI 10 WOO.  CONTACT YOUR LOCAL DEALER OR BIG GREEN EGG'S CORPORATE RETAIL STORE REGARDING UPGRADES TO THE 10 INCH GRID. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JRWesco
    JRWesco Posts: 57
    Options
    Did you have a problem with the thermo sticking into the ribs when the dome was closed? @SGH‌
  • SGH
    Options
    @JRWesco‌
    I had to situate them just right or the thermometer would poke them. With a little shuffling around I was able to rectify this problem.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Lit‌ @SmokeyPitt‌
    What size stones are y'all using with y'all's mini woo and where did y'all get them?

Status- Standing by.

• Lit
    Options
    The ceramic grill store site says the 9.5" will not work but one of the posters here said the 9.5" works it just doesn't lock in. I bought some pizza stones and they all cracked but the ones that I should have gotten are the set of 2 8" stones on amazon. Sure someone else will link to them. I have the plate setter so I really only use the woo for raised direct now.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Lit‌
    Thanks for the info my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Lit‌ @SmokeyPitt‌ What size stones are y'all using with y'all's mini woo and where did y'all get them?

I think you just exceeded the limit for "y'alls" in one sentence ;)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Lit
    Options
    One thing I can't tell from the pics does your fire ring have the notches in it for the plate setter? Its a newer thing only the last year or so but if it does you can go plate setter then grate with half rack of ribs then woo with other rack of ribs on the woo cross bars so you can do a whole rack flat on the mini. Mine was the older fire ring but I cut the notches myself and it gives you alot more room with the plate setter In.
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Lit‌ @SmokeyPitt‌ What size stones are y'all using with y'all's mini woo and where did y'all get them?

I think you just exceeded the limit for "y'alls" in one sentence ;)
    Sandy
  • SGH
    Options
    @Lit‌
    Yes sir. It has 3 notches.
    @PNWFoodie‌
    It's easy to tell that I'm from the Deep South by my vocabulary isn't it!!

Status- Standing by.

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options

SGH said:
    I'm pretty sure these are the ones we have..I wrap one in foil and onto the Mini Woo it goes..

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-Oven-Individual-Stones/dp/B007HBQ6GC/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1407587361&sr=8-16&keywords=old+stone+oven+pizza

After doing this a few times, though, it gave everything cooked on the stone directly (mini Pizzas) a weird taste that wife picked up on immediately.  Sooo..time to order a second set for in-oven pizza cooking and relegate the current ones to Mini Woo use.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    SGH I know you are doing OO for comparison tonight, but what were your impressions of the RW with this rack? Thanks !!

Danville, Il
  • SGH
    Options
    @SmokeyBear‌
    Thanks for the info and the link my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    BTW, I like the Old Stone Oven stones on the Woo better than my Mini PS..

Mini PS also broke (one of the legs busted right off) within a few months of getting it.  Never had time to get it back to the dealer for replacement.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Lit‌ Yes sir. It has 3 notches. @PNWFoodie‌ It's easy to tell that I'm from the Deep South by my vocabulary isn't it!!

Once again, please know that that was meant entirely teasing and with much affection. Sometimes the intention of things can get lost over the 'net. Y'all know I love ya. :)
    Sandy