Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nauseating

Went to a Crahscar party down the street on Sunday were the local unemployed rednecks gather for the turn left race. (A nice Gazeebo with 6 TV's, frige, good people etc).  He fired up his smoker/grill with Kingsford briquetts and Kingsford petroleum fluid to warm and burn a bunch of sausages. The wafting air was so nauseating I had to leave, (or throw-up). Got home and ruined my turkey burger MY WAY!!!!  4 years of Egging purity has made me a BBQ/grilling S(N)OB.
Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    What, no PBR?! :) Actually, I rather LIKE those smells. Though I haven't smelled them in a while.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    PBR is hipster beer now, you have to keep it real with Natty Light or Old Milwaukee.  Or you could go high end with Busch Light.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    @jonnymack, and all this time I thought Natty Light was the high end stuff? We are not far from each other I'm in Loganville...just up the road.

@berndcrisp- egging is turning me into a grilling snob as well. But it could be worse.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • After enough libations it will taste good. :-&

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Turn left race?!  Glad so see a few rednecks take a turn for the better, for a change.
    edited August 2014
    I have this t-shirt.  I don't wear it to sports bars.   :D

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    I have to agree... one of the guys at the firehouse cooked steaks for the crew a while back.....im pretty sure he used kingsford plus a lot of lighter fluid then threw them on within 5min (LOLZ) and i sat back and chuckled as he finished them and brought them up stairs and it smelled awful....i ate mine off my JoeJr and had a big grin on my face.     I am a snob as well i guess. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    I agree, I have to go inside every time the neighbors light their grill. Even before I bought my egg my performer had a built in propane line to light the charcoal.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Men's group is having a steak & egg breakfast on Saturday... I volunteered to do the steaks and providing the "charcoal" because I can no longer stand the gasoline tastes... 

And I just happen to have a stash of 4 17lb bags and 12  8lb bags of RO :)  
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited August 2014
    I hate to admit it, but I have also become a grilling snob as well. When I hear the guys at work talking about how good their cook turned out only to be told it was cooked on gas I can't help but cringe! 

I never say anything, but I am thinking it. I have tried to spread the BGE gospel, but some people have propane hard ons. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    On Friday we went to a place that my family used to go to for steaks, etc. a lot when I was a kid and young adult.  I couldn't bring myself to order anything off the grill because I knew it wouldn't live up to the egg standard.  I got the fish fry instead.  Does anyone else find themselves ordering more fried foods when they go out now?  I do mostly because it's such a pain to fry stuff at home.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    @jerryb78 we almost never fry anything at home anymore either. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I sometimes use my Smokey Joe, I do light it with Isopropyl, 70% - no chemical taste at all. Most use is for something that the briquettes can't hurt - like Hobo Taters. Nothing gets through that foil wrap. Our local (Bellingham) Costco has Kingsford Comps, two bags (16#-18#?) for under $18. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Sad but true you know who was one of those gasser - lighter fluid briquette geeks not so long ago . . . . <sigh>, wasted some of the best years of me life . . . . but we're lapping the field, now!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    What, no PBR?! :) Actually, I rather LIKE those smells. Though I haven't smelled them in a while.

I'm with you. I miss that as well as DDT Trucks from my youth.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Mickey said:

I'm with you. I miss that as well as DDT Trucks from my youth.
    That explains a lot.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Heck, you just explained my childhood... I was acustomed to that smell.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I don't think I can taste the lighter fluid in the grilled food, if the grilling happens 30-45 minutes later, when the coals are really ready for cooking. But I still got rid of it and switched to a chimney lighter a few years ago. Why not get rid of an extremely flammable jug of fluid from the garage/patio?  Poor old Weber hasn't seen any use since the egg arrived. I've been throwing leftover Kingsford Competition briquettes into the egg now and then to try and get through them.  Hope that's OK.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • I hate the initial stank of lighter fluid but either I get used to it or it just gets better 20 minutes in. I too never say a word and eat whatever is served me with a smile on my face.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    This just reminded me that my gasser has been broken for several months and I haven't bothered to fix it.  I think it needs new burners or something.  At this rate it'll probably end up on the curb with a "free" sign on it.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Heck, you just explained my childhood... I was acustomed to that smell.  
    The smell of Kingsford immediately take me back to my childhood. Dad did not use lighter fluid though.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Although I loved the fireball w/ Kingsford on the Webber, I can never go back. Count me in as an grilling snob! 
    New Albany, Ohio