Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

16 Days original ice in Yeti45

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
edited July 2014 in Off Topic
After 16 days one of three peaces (blocks I had made) was still over one third in size when I emptied my Yeti. About every other day I would add motel ice machine ice and (Yeti says not to) would drain water.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Mickey
    Damn little buttons. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I always add water to my ice to keep the beer etc. colder
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    There is cold and then there is frigid!  YMMV- :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Hap I do not understand why not draining water when you have plenty of ice to replace with

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Great coolers. They seem to get some bad reviews because people don't realize the importance of precooling. Love mine, but 4 days is all I've ever been able to muster, but that's mainly because it doubles as a food cooler too and gets opened a lot.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mickey
    Jeremiah said:
    Great coolers. They seem to get some bad reviews because people don't realize the importance of precooling. Love mine, but 4 days is all I've ever been able to muster, but that's mainly because it doubles as a food cooler too and gets opened a lot.

Have a softside we use for drinks and getting in and out of while traveling. The Yeti is only opened once mostly per day.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Am I to understand you that your original Texas ice was still in the cooler? That mister is the transportation across multiple state lines of a controlled substance, namely water.  L-)

Great cooler. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    How much did you open it?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That's pretty neat. Perfect complement for your travels now. What food do you take with you on these trips?

An ice water mix is more efficient to cool stuff than ice alone. Something to do with ice needing energy to go from solid to liquid phase. That's why the Yeti folks probably recommend that stuff will stay coldest if you don't drain the water.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Mickey said:

Hap I do not understand why not draining water when you have plenty of ice to replace with

Not sure I understand your question; but ice water is colder than just ice by itself.
  • henapple
    Cali is an idiot, beer thief. Ignore him.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    I would like to see how water is colder than the ice that melted (gave up energy) to produce the water.  I may have missed that chapter of heat transfer and fluid flow but I have missed the obvious before.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    An ice water bath is indeed colder than ice alone in a given chamber. Middle school physics.

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    According to yeti, draining the water simply leaves air between ice. And it takes more to keep the air cold than the water.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • caliking
    henapple said:

Cali is an idiot, beer thief. Ignore him.

Waitaminit... Are you calling me one or 2 names there??

At least I'm no closet RO lover.

• henapple
    As we always say in Tennessee. ..you haven't come out of the closet. ..but you're fiddling with the doorknob.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    henapple said:

As we always say in Tennessee. ..you haven't come out of the closet. ..but you're fiddling with the doorknob.

THAT, @henapple‌, is hilarious!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    If you have an ice/water combination, the water will stay at 32 degrees until all the ice has melted. Then the water temp starts to rise above 32. The benefit is that you have 32 degree water filling up the space between the ice, instead of air which could be over 32 degrees and would cause the ice to melt faster. That's a really impressive cooler. 
    Dunedin, FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    If you really want it to get cold, add some salt to the ice water mix.was our go to method for chilling beers back when.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bearBGE
    bearBGE Posts: 129
    I like ice cold beer! 
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Iced water conducts the cold more efficiently than ice on its own, when air is involved between cubes or whatever. That's why you have ice and water in a champagne bucket or wine cooler table-side.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Mickey
    Ok I am now going to keep water, I can see why. The question is how much should be kept? Out for 16 days it would seem a lot could be there???? @caliking, @yzzi, @HDumptyEsq‌

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    The Tundra 45 is a workhorse. I gave one to my son and he loves it. Big yet still portable.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Ya'll, Ice water is 32 degrees, water just starts to freeze at 32 degrees.  So solid ice has to be colder than ice water. The reason ice water seems to keep your items in the cooler colder, is because all surfaces of the items are in contact with the ice water.  adding coarse slat to your ice will also extend the melting time.
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    @Mickey.  "all surfaces of the items are in contact with the ice water." I was trying to say that, just another way.
    If you want beer or soft drinks to be (appear) really cold, keep enough water in the bottom to cover them, use the bottom ones first.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Redskull said:
    Ya'll, Ice water is 32 degrees, water just starts to freeze at 32 degrees.  So solid ice has to be colder than ice water. The reason ice water seems to keep your items in the cooler colder, is because all surfaces of the items are in contact with the ice water.  adding coarse slat to your ice will also extend the melting time.

You are correct. The ice is colder without water. But the vessel is colder overall because the water distributes the cold evenly across the entire vessel
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • caliking
    edited July 2014

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I got a 50 I liked the shape better for my needs. I have had beer in it for 2 weeks straight now I just keep adding ice here and there. Have been eyeing the pelican 35 since its down to $220 on amazon.
  • caliking
    @Mickey - based on this clip, it seems like the ice shouldn't float much in the water. So maybe drain some of the water daily, but not all of it?

http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2010/10/making-a-proper-ice-bath/

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Put the cooler in a freezer and you won't need to drain it at all.
    Dunedin, FL