Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Confessions

Options

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Hey Hap. I was going to chime in earlier and say something about 'many a slip twixt the cup and the lip'.
    Glad I held off. The truth can be very therapeutic. Terry miscarried our fourth child. When another came along all well. We quit. As you say the wives are the best. I fall in love with mine more every day.
    Excused cooking is now over. Get the camera (phone) out.
    Thanks, man.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Very tender gesture hapster.

I don't understand why the church won't perform it's functions in this case yet they define a person/soul as a fertilized egg.  Not that I expect logic, just consistency.
    edited July 2014
    Options

Dayam!  That story makes me ashamed that I was hoping either one of @henapple's interesting speculations were on the money!  Hap, you're a great man!  I'm glad you're not a lesbian trapped in a man's body or a medical curiosity with a third testicle.

Flint, Michigan
  • HDumptyEsq
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone. Now you're jumping to conclusions; he didn't say he wasn't any of those things.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Nothing but Respect for you man.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• HDumptyEsq
    Options
    @nolaegghead said, "I don't understand why the church won't perform it's functions".
    I agree. Abstinence makes the church grow fondlers! And Pope JP 11 is gonna be a Saint?

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone. Now you're jumping to conclusions; he didn't say he wasn't any of those things.
    Good point. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    To bring this slightly closer towards the realm of being on topic: are there any foods that remind you all of this sort of horrible moment in your life?

My wife and I experienced two miscarriages between our two sons.  For the first one, she was in the hospital for about a week before it happened.  I was running around town trying to take care of our son, trying to take care of her, and trying to keep up with work.  (it looked like she could potentially be in the hospital or on bed rest for a couple *months* at that point if the pregnancy had continued)  Anyway, I was utterly exhausted when I got home on a Sunday night and just sat down in front of the TV and got the first bite of reheated scalloped potatoes in my mouth when the phone rang and my wife told me that I needed to get back to the hospital.

That was 5 years ago and I still don't really care for scalloped potatoes.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Dude....ya made me cry.....
    GWN
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @hapster - thank you for being a class act. You are a good man. May God continue to bless you and your family.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Mad game!
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Atta Boy Hap. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    Bold difficult move. Then to keep it in all those years. Probably feels really good to talk about it now yet still hurtful. Thank you for sharing that story. I dont fault the Church as a whole but I do fault whatever church you dealt with or hospital. Much respect @hapster‌
  • uheep
    uheep Posts: 64
    Options
    I knew I followed you for some unknown reason other than your awesome cooks.You are truly "The Man." I hope to be posting a lot more, patio construction is finished and my egg gets delivered today. 
    North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
    With A Touch Of Classic Rock
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sorry man and to your wife please. After all, we are family.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Way to step up Hap, you da Man!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Cheers @hapster! Thank you for sharing your story. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Respect. Mad respect for you. Sorry you had to go through such a difficult time. You are class act all the way.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story Hapster.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    hapster said:
    No... Nothing quite that exciting. Sorry for the share in advance... ... Maybe TMI... Again; sorry in advance
    No need to apologize for sharing.

Sorry for your loss, and sorry the church refused to recognize what we all know God is sure to have recognized.

Me thinks you did the right thing.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options
    Haps.
    You did the right thing.
    God bless you all.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You are a good guy Hap. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2014
    Options
    My father did the something along the same lines with my sister. She was born premature and wasn't expected to make it. He took her to the church and being a devout catholic like he was knew the order in which to do things with in the ceremony and did it himself and baptized her. She is alive today, unfortunately she has the mental capacity of a 6 year old and has epilepsy. He called her his little angel.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    My father did the something along the same lines with my sister. She was born premature and wasn't expected to make it. He took her to the church and being a devout catholic like he was knew the order in which to do things with in the ceremony and did it himself and baptized her. She is alive today, unfortunately she has the mental capacity of a 6 year old and has epilepsy. He called her his little angel.
    No doubt to your father, your sister will forever be his little angel. What he did took big ones, really big ones, I can only imagine the mental state he was in during that time. That's real strength right there...

The one  thing my wife and learned through these experiences, especially with Elise being a premie is that every child is miracle. All of things that have to go perfectly just to have a normal healthy baby is staggering.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I just wanted to say thank you again for all of the comments and support... I don't know that what I did was so special, but as all of you that are fathers know (and as @hondabbq 's bittersweet story illustrated) there isn't anything we wouldn't do for our children.

And anyone that doubts it, there is a lot more to this forum than simply busted balls and arguments over who's lump is bigger or better 

:)
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Positive thoughts to you and yours.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    We are all buds here Hap...glad I heard your story and no it wasn't inappropriate to mention. You did the right thing there my friend. 
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Hap- I believe you were in the right. We've lost 2 to miscarriages early on in our lives and if I had been on a better mental state and better conviction/religious state; I would have done the same thing. First was in college when I drank more than a fish swimming upstream. Second was soon after we got married. Not a good time in my life, but we have two cute girls 10 and 5 right now that are the light of my life.

You are right, kids are a blessing.

Peace be with you and rest up that bum wing!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bigdaddydivo
    Options
    God bless ya Hap, much respect to you. My dad baptized my nephew (his first grandson). My sister although being raised catholic didnt really claim a religion but when she did it was often some flash in the pan religion which didnt involve any traditional baptisms. My dad being a militant catholic slinked off to the rectory and got a bottle of holy water and baptized my nephew, in the kitchen!!!! I like to think it made a difference when my nephew passed away 25 short years later. Ya did a good thing Hap.

LBGE, Weber One touch 26.75, an old gasser, firepit and more gadgets than ten people need

Livonia N.Y. (the vampire state)

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    You are a good man @Hapster ! Thank you for putting things back in perspective. I have young children and on those nights when I get frustrated with behavior or other silly little things in life it is great to be reminded of how precious life is and reminded not to take it for granted. Your story of your pain and strength have been a much needed refresher at just the right time for me to sit back, take a look at the "bigger picture" and appreciate what I have been given. Thank you so much for not only your timely post but for your compassion and strength as a man and a father. You are a leader on this forum both in your cooks and your character.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN