Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter lifter

Options
I'm thinking of getting one of these for reverse sear lifts. Anyone have any thoughts or personal experience? Thanks.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @marysvilleegger‌
    I had and used one before I got my Woo. It worked like a charm I thought.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• marysvilleegger
    Options
    Thanks @sgh. I guess my biggest concern is the pressure point when I lift it and causing it to break.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I use a pair of gloves like
    These....
    They work very well and keep your hands safe. But, either way (even w/ that tool) you'll need a pair of gloves try them out. You may find you don't really need this tool.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It works like a charm. No problem at all with mine.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I am paranoid of the pressure point causing cracking. Just my first thoughts. I could be wrong.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I use two of the BGE gloves.  No fear on pressure points.  And when I pull my plate setter, it is quickly set down on the concrete right next to my BGE table.  I'm only pulling my plate setter at the end of a 250F smoke, when I'm switching over to a higher heat direct and I'm only holding the PS for maybe 15 seconds.  I know someone on here talked about getting burned doing what I do, but I think they were using welder mitts, (not sure how much insulation they provide from direct contact), don't know how long they held their PS before setting it down, nor how hot their cook was right before pulling.  The white gloves above, may be as good as my BGE ones for a lot less $, but that white won't stay that way handling hot smoky PS.  My Black BGE ones don't show any signs of discoloration. :)>-
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    I have the same glove as @NPHuskerFL... they are worth every penny.  Hands stay safe and no issues picking up hot grill parts. 
    Long Island, NY
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I use that lifter with my XL platesetter during reverse sears without any problem.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    I use welding gloves. They work fine but you have like 5 seconds so have a place to set it on close.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I play Chernobyl hot potato with gloves.  You have about 5 seconds if it's super hot, but that's plenty of time, just plan for a place to put it quick so you don't freak out and break it.   Also, channel locks work just fine.  I think I'll weld up one of those mothers, seems useful.
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Will probably get one but realize will still need to put on my welders glove when I use it. I've done the 5 sec Chernobyl hot potato and it works fine but with a 5 year old red head running around I would hate to have an accident cuz I was hurrying. Hope everyone has a great week!
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL. I hope you don't get your egg to 663 degrees. :|

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    I use a PS Woo from CGS. Its got handles so makes it really easy.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I just got "the claw" for this purpose. Lifts in 3 places instead of one. Check it out. http://www.innovationsbychance.com/the-claw.html
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Buy a Woo
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I think much depends on your set-up. No question that gloves are needed no matter what you use when handling a large chunk of ceramic that is over 400ºC. 
    For MBGE I have a place next to the egg to sit the hot setter on, so I use channel locks and my ash tool. If you are preheating a grid under the setter, suggest you have spacers between the setter and the grid making it easier to grip the setter. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm in the "hold my beer and watch this" camp. I use 2 cheap pot holders from Target. I would not advocate duplication of this.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I use orka mittens, but like others said, pick and release asap on a predetermind landing spot.

@skiddymarker, don't let the ash tool slip 
    :D
    canuckland
  • mcgyver210
    mcgyver210 Posts: 67
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I have been using a pair of HellFire gloves to remove anything from the hot egg. They are awesome!

I just don't know about trusting that claw thing since even the description says be careful twisting.

I would definitely be concerned with lifting that expensive ceramic just on one side.

New Owner XL BGE 07/03/2014
    Middle, TN
  • mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Options
    I vote for the ps woo
    Turned out to be one of the most useful tools I have. Well worth the money.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Woo is great for this.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Lifter work great, for the price just pick one up.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I just use a pair of cheap welding gloves that I already had before I bought an egg. Be quick and have a nearby spot picked out.

Now I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to remember the last time I needed to do this.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut